Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomzRules

What theme-appropriate demons, items, and weapons would you add to Doom?

What demons, items, and weapons would you add to Doom that would fit within the boundaries of what the developers intended and would fit the Doom aesthetic?

I would personally add in the Quad Shotgun and the Double Bladed Chainsaw.

I would also add in the BFG Commando, Plasma Rifle Guy, Beam Revenant, Baphomets Eyes, and the Belphegor.

In terms of items? The Bloodlust Sphere, the Book of the Dead, and the Commando Armor (Red Armor) which would give you 400% Armor (double the amount of Mega Armor).

DoomzRules said:

Double Bladed Chainsaw.

The unfortunate thing is any buffed chainsaw replacement is worsened somewhat by the "glue effect".

I have a 4x replacement that can do ridiculous things like painstun barons and dispatch them in a few seconds, but you go flying around the screen like crazy.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

I've probably said this before, but Doom needed a flamethrower.

Agreed. I also think it could have used an assault rifle (that has the same firerate as the shotgun, but the same damage as the pistol, and there's no pump-action.)

Maybe a grenade-launcher attachment as well, and duct-taped to a flamethrower.... (OH SHIT I JUST REALIZED THAT'S RIPLEY'S PULSE RIFLE!!! ARRGH COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT! *laughs* I'm such an Aliens fan.)

And yes Azurish we do need a Succubus. A fat Succubus, that's like a female Mancubus.... this way nobody gets a hard-on. =P

Rdwpa, the double-bladed chainsaw I had in mind would be kinda like the Doom 64 one. More of a graphical replacement if anything, with only a .5% increase in painstun and damage.

Azuruish said:

Succubus.

I can dig this.

For weapons I'd have a second pistol, maybe considered too flashy for Doom by some, but I'd dig it. Akimbo gunz.

Throwing an axe or something, I dunno.

Azuruish said:

Succubus.

Lol, i wouldn't mind a sucubbus, but the problem would be err, you know.
As for items, HellSphere, 4x dmg for weapons, invulnerability, both health and armor set to 666, the marine's eyes would glow red and he would be grinning in a evil manner.

PsychoGoatee said:

I can dig this.

For weapons I'd have a second pistol, maybe considered too flashy for Doom by some, but I'd dig it. Akimbo gunz.

Throwing an axe or something, I dunno.

I kinda wish you could akimbo with anything you want! =D

And you could choose your own combo!

So picture a Super Shotgun in the left hand and a Chainsaw in the right hand!

Groovy! =D

I always thought a Gargoyle type monster would be cool, I know they are in Heretic, but I think it would fit in Doom, Just make them more skinny and creepy looking than the ones in Heretic.

As for weapons, I think a plasma pistol would be a cool upgrade to the regular pistol, Like the Shotgun and The Super Shotgun.

Azuruish said:

Succubus.

As long as no actual nudity is involved I'm alright with this. Not that I have any issue with fictional nudity, but I need two hands to play Doom with.
In general more monsters that serve some purpose other than damaging the player, like arch-viles, could add some new dimensions to the gameplay. A monster that can stop other monsters from infighting is something I thought of.

The_Third_Dino said:

I always thought a Gargoyle type monster would be cool, I know they are in Heretic, but I think it would fit in Doom, Just make them more skinny and creepy looking than the ones in Heretic.

As for weapons, I think a plasma pistol would be a cool upgrade to the regular pistol, Like the Shotgun and The Super Shotgun.

I think a skeleton gargoyle would look cool and fit right in with Doom IMHO.

As for the plasma pistol idea? I feel like if anything, a cool upgrade to the regular pistol would probably be a revolver IMHO. Nothing more satisfying than using a beefy magnum.

I would add a mech armor for the new doom, but it would run out of ammo/energy rather fast and I wouldn't put too many in the game, maybe between 3 or 4 times throughout the whole game. I'm thinking it would be really fun to kill a large horde of demons using something like that. A lot of blood and gibs everywhere.

More: Grenade Launcher, Heat seeking missiles, maybe a demon weapon like the one in Doom 64.

By the way, we are gonna get something that is close to being a Flamethrower in the new Doom, the BFG can be modified to work as a flamethrower.

i understand the fists are the melee weapon of doom, surprised it didnt have a knife or something, maybe a large Bowie knife? or a space-inspired plasma knife or something too? not sure...

DoomzRules said:

Rdwpa, the double-bladed chainsaw I had in mind would be kinda like the Doom 64 one. More of a graphical replacement if anything, with only a .5% increase in painstun and damage.

The Doom 64 chainsaw was literally twice as powerful and was twice as good at triggering pain states - it was hardly an aesthetic thing.

Maybe some sort of giant Centipede/worm like demon from Hell would work, similar to the vagary.

Variations of the Imp, one without a projectile attack that bum-rushes you and claws you rapidly. Another that holds its ground and pelts you with repeated projectiles (like a slower arachnotron with +missilemore) from a good distance. An Imp that upon immediately noticing the player cloaks itself like the Spectre and stays cloaked until it attacks/it's injured and dies. I wouldn't of minded some mild variations of lesser enemies that don't have graphics changes and merely make it look like the monster can do different things while having the same amount of health and damage.

A slow-loading, but accurate and powerful "big game gun", e.g. a two-barreled express rifle, capable of taking down e.g. a caco or HK with two shots, and reloading only after expending two shots.

A cool original power up would be a blast proof suit that makes you immune to splash damage. Would be fun using the RL up close whilst it was in effect but not so forgiving as the invulnerable so that you still have to be aware of attacks.

Personally I'd have a bunch of recolors for the enemies that would all be varying in HP and attacks.

Kinda like Diablo. Which reminds me I'm still working on my monster pack for Doom, it's based off DoomKrakken's Randomizer, except I added a BUNCH of new monsters.

It'll be released when it's done. =P

DoomzRules said:

Personally I'd have a bunch of recolors for the enemies that would all be varying in HP and attacks.

Reminds me of the enemies in Double Dragon: basic enemies would be caucasians, stronger versions would be blacks, and the strongest versions would be green (zombies/aliens/on drugs?)

Stealth enemy commandos. I have actually created a stealth SSG commando in an unreleased dehacked mod of mine. I imagine him being placed in Deaf mode in corners and behind pillars. Hohohohoho! (He fires 4 shotgun shots at the same time and drops an SSG, little more health than the Chaingunner)

Flying chaingunners. They are more corpulent than usual, almost spherical in aspect, and they move twice as fast as the arch-vile. They also have a defensive mode in which they start spinning rapidly and repel all attacks except melee.

Spider Mastermind with new abilities and attacks, like twin chainguns, mortar launcher, laser cannon, cloaking, and a rechargeable power shield via nearby generators. It also talks in a raspy voice and taunts the player occasionally. Lesser monsters also come in through gateways to aid it like the Motherdemon from Doom 64.

The fat SSG dudes from Skulltag could be cheap as hell, but if nerfed by just one or two pellets, they could be used well from time to time. Otherwise I'm pretty content with the current lineup.

Oh, the Railgun is cool too when it's not too overpowered.

Doomkid said:

Oh, the Railgun is cool too when it's not too overpowered.

How do you define "overpowered" and "not overpowered" in a weapon that, AFAIK, is designed to be a 1-shot killer in almost all of its incarnations? Unless server prediction or the hit area is made extremely lax.

In more realistic shooter games that have similarly "overpowered" weapons (e.g. sniper rifles), they make up for it by making them e.g. nearly unusable at close quarters, seriously affecting mobility (e.g. you have to crouch or even lie down on the ground to use them), having very low rate of fire or ammo availability etc.

Nothing of the above applies to the usual implementation of the railgun used in e.g. ZDaemon servers: it is perfectly usable at CQ with practice, fire rate is better than the SSG, ammo consumption is quite moderate. The only weakness it has is that the telltale trace it leaves makes it risky to use for stealthy sniping. I think it's possible to survive a hit from it if you have 200% health and 200% armor (it leaves you with 1-figure health though).

The only "overpowered" version I've seen is the multi/auto railgun in CyberCrime 3.0. OK, that one is really ridiculous.