Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Third_Dino

Should the story be almost nonexistent?

Would you like the story to be like the original Doom games and be close to nothing or would you prefer a deeper story than that?

Personally, I wouldn't mind it like Doom 3, where the start of the game is a little story heavy, but it gets going fast.

I think I like what they've said they're doing with the story actually. It's there if you want to poke around and look for it, but it's not shoved in your face so you can just go shoot stuff if you want.

There is story! Just not in linear cutscenes like CoD. Read the Game Informer's coverage about it.

The way they explained the story's significance in the GameInformer article reminds me a bit of Bioshock's recorded messages story mechanic. The story IS THERE, but not told to you in a cutscene. Just in messages. Or in this case, recorded holographic events.

I don't know. I can see this game being VERY excellent in story if everything is told through past events and recordings. Hell, some secret locations can lead to a secret recording THAT can lead to a big twist in the story! And if you give no fucks about the story, you can just ignore these recordings altogether!

COD MW 3 had a linear level design, in which you had to simply go straight forward and engage in some battles in different ways, it's Multiplayer was annoying, And it's Singleplayer was boring , the storyline itself was random too, Something like WW3 or idk .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

COD MW 3 had a linear level design, in which you had to simply go straight forward and engage in some battles in different ways, it's Multiplayer was annoying, And it's Singleplayer was boring , the storyline itself was random too, Something like WW3 or idk .

This thread is about Doom, not Modern Warfare 3, what the hell is your point?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

So wait, didn't Classic Doom have a story ?

It did, but mostly through manuals. in the game itself, there was barely any story, just a few screens with text, and that's it.

I agree that the best way to tell a story in Doom is with logs you find around and that you can choose wether to use/read them or not. I hated the audio logs from Doom 3, hopefully these holograms are more fun to watch.

AirRaid said:

This thread is about Doom, not Modern Warfare 3, what the hell is your point?

Nothing too special, just love your reactions to every post i make :P
Anyways my point is that the new game shouldn't necessarily rely on Cutscenes, Scripted Sequences would be a better way to tell the Storyline .

A good opening sequence explaining the events of teleportation and how they set up bases on Mars, Phobos, etc would be nice. I think this would establish a solid atmosphere for other people not familiar to understand just how the forces of hell were able to cross over into our plain of existence etc.
Ofcourse audio and video logs scattered throughout the base can help move the story along as your battle legions of demons.
Also a few cutscenes possibly going back in time to show certain locations before the invasion, IE you enter a the teleporter room and see dead bodies blood everywhere, a quick cutscene goes back in time showing UAC scientists about the open the first portal etc. Stuff like this would be pretty neat IMHO.
Simple yet effective things like this can go along way at establishing the plot. Even though everyone knows hell broke though, the UAC fucked up. Now Go Kill demons. If you give players the chance to dive into the details its always awesome and adds endless gameplay searching for extra details on the events leading up to the invasion.

I'm pretty sure we all expect fast paced action in Doom, the ability to move freely around the levels and the ability to choose ourselves when to go to the next room and start a fight, this is what makes Doom Doom and the reason why we choose to play Doom instead of a COD clone, I think adding either cinematic sequences or scripted sequences which are forced into the gameplay take that away from us.

The only scripted sequences I think would make a good addition is when you encounter a pretty tough demon for the first time for a dramatic effect or when you pick up a weapon for the first time so you can take a good look at it, maybe at the start of the game and at the end of the game, that's it.

Doom 3 handled it pretty well, minus the really stupid and totally disengaging "Whoa here's a new monster!!!" shots, so I'd like to see something that. Skippable cutscenes and stuff in the environment that you can optionally check out.

GoatLord said:

Doom 3 handled it pretty well, minus the really stupid and totally disengaging "Whoa here's a new monster!!!" shots, so I'd like to see something that. Skippable cutscenes and stuff in the environment that you can optionally check out.

Hey, I liked those stupid and totally disengaging "Whoa here's a new monster" cutscenes they were awesome. Skippable cutscenes would be nice though.

If for whatever reason ID makes the mistake of adding cutscenes to the game that aren't at the beginnig of the game or at the end of the game they should at least be in first person perspective to keep the immersion of the game.

I think Metro 2033 did a good job doing that.

I like story in video games but I hate when it gets in the way of gameplay (e.g. New Order interactive cutscenes). So no, it doesn't need to be nonexistent (though I would have no problem with it), but it should be skippable/optional (like it seems to be).

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Nothing too special, just love your reactions to every post i make :P

I would recommend not baiting a moderator.

Some mythology and lore about hell would be satisfying, like its history, all the different species that occupy it, and a bit of backdrop about the world and the UAC. Just something to give a bit of background on the world you occupy.

But no like "The Doom Marine suffers from PTSD after fighting in the 3rd Vietnam War and lost his arms and legs so was enrolled in a supersoldi-" no, I don't need that.

If they tell us too much about Hell and it's story we will end up having a fantasy franchise like Diablo, but I think mystery is a very important factor in Doom, it's basically what the UAC has done, opened the door to the unknown and that's how you shouldp percieve it.

So the less they tell us about Hell the better, it's better that it stays sorrounded by mystery in my opinion, because it fits the story better, and as far as I understand that's what they're aiming for.

CreamCheese said:

Some mythology and lore about hell would be satisfying, like its history, all the different species that occupy it, and a bit of backdrop about the world and the UAC. Just something to give a bit of background on the world you occupy.

But no like "The Doom Marine suffers from PTSD after fighting in the 3rd Vietnam War and lost his arms and legs so was enrolled in a supersoldi-" no, I don't need that.

Some observant people in the community noticed little things like swords and battle axes lying around in Hell. We also know that at least one Hell level takes place in an area filled with decaying corpses of ancient, titanic demons.

These level design elements are a way to convey story albeit in a very subtle way. I think I'd prefer Hell lore to be served in such a way. I'd cringe if we find an "intelligent Hell weapon" that tells us stuff like the Soul Cube in Doom 3 (even though they did keep that to a minimum).

The only thing I want to know about the Doom Guy is why he got his ass booted to Mars and why he "wakes up" to find the base overrun by Hellspawn; Was he frozen in cryogenic sleep as punishment for disobedience (cliché, but it would make it similar to the original Doom backstory), or did he just oversleep like a dunce?

dsm said:

Some observant people in the community noticed little things like swords and battle axes lying around in Hell. We also know that at least one Hell level takes place in an area filled with decaying corpses of ancient, titanic demons.

These level design elements are a way to convey story albeit in a very subtle way. I think I'd prefer Hell lore to be served in such a way. I'd cringe if we find an "intelligent Hell weapon" that tells us stuff like the Soul Cube in Doom 3 (even though they did keep that to a minimum).

The only thing I want to know about the Doom Guy is why he got his ass booted to Mars and why he "wakes up" to find the base overrun by Hellspawn; Was he frozen in cryogenic sleep as punishment for disobedience (cliché, but it would make it similar to the original Doom backstory), or did he just oversleep like a dunce?

I've heard they said that you've been "activated", what could that mean? I think you are a prototype of a genetically engineered solder (maybe even engineered by UAC itself as a counter measure in case hell breaks loose) or even better a clone of the original Doomguy who serves the same porpuse or maybe you are the original Doomguy himself frozen in cryogenic sleep, preserved as a very valuable asset.

I'm fine with what they're apparently doing. Have some background information here and there, building up the world. For there to be a truly enganging story it's hard to get around having an actual main character rather than a faceless, voiceless avatar. Storytelling in games has come so far since Gordon Freeman or StarCraft 1. Many games specialize in this field today and it requires a completely different game framework than the one DOOM 2016 is providing. It's not that I wouldn't love to see a game set on Earth in the Doom universe, following an actual character and his/her struggles, but it would most likely be a completely different game where what's going on onscreen is mainly an internalization of the character.

GoatLord said:

actually those new monster cutscenes were really nice

and when they are well placed, there is nothing wrong with cutscenes

Deatheye said:

actually those new monster cutscenes were really nice

and when they are well placed, there is nothing wrong with cutscenes

i remember back then playing doom 3 for the first time years ago and upon arriving at one part there's like this cutscene where upon entering a room you hear a random scowl and you're like 'what the shit was that' then a revenant slowly creeps around the corner

then he blows up one pillar with his rockets and i just literally went JESUS THAT IS SO FUCKING AWESOME ITS LIKE THE BEST INTRO FOR ANY ENEMY IN ANY VIDEOGAME TO DATE THIS THING CAN ACTUALLY FUCK ME UP UNLIKE ANYTHING ELSE AND WHOAH THOSE COLORS

then the cutscene came to an end and i was like so fucking excited to fight it and his rockets dealt like ~10 damage and took like 2 shotgun blasts to die

lmao cutscenes are lame af tbqh, too bad the imp gets one in the new game too ffs

I Hate cutscenes, they're just like a "Fun pause" feature, I'd like to see it handled better where the game doesn't take control away from you .

cutscenes are a great way to introduce the player into something new - they also create a nice immersion and atmosphere

there are games with too much cutscenes, the order 1886 for example or until dawn (roflmao is this even a game?) but well placed + made cutscenes are really awesome (in thief for example or doom 3 back then)

Hell possessing or enticing Dr Pierce to experiment on corpses and give demons a way to invade (our) reality. IMO that's fucking great story as it is. Kinda hope for some Dead Spacey manner of demons to manifest, say from human flesh and bones like the Revenant.