Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
desolatordave

Favorate Mod

Vrack # or Coecits because they have really awesome gameplay and looks, and the author is an awesome dude.

Assuming that by "mod" you mean a set of new levels with significantly changed monsters and/or weapons, I'd say that STRAIN is the best. Hacx is also good (a more total conversion, but fewer maps, and some of them are a bit trivial). Hellraiser was impressive, though I found it difficult to get used to the changed monsters in levels that were so hard.
Herian 2 featured monsters and weapons with a totally changed appearance, but it was just cosmetic - they behaved exactly like in Doom II.

Fredrik said:

Vrack # or Coecits because they have really awesome gameplay and looks, and the author is an awesome dude.

waher ist teh fradrak duecd noew?14

Hellraiser totally sucked.

Aliens TC must be my fav TC of all time..

It's perfection.

Also Batman Doom is by far one of the most impressive ones.

People seem to rave on about the Aliens TC - presuming it's the same wad, i had it years ago when i first started playing Doom... and i wouldn't have said it was up to much.
The demon replacement graphics/sounds were good, as were the Giger-ripped textures - one of my old projects (1995/6) was a map built using the TC based around a hive - but the other enemies were a bit naff.

kristus said:

Hellraiser totally sucked.

I stand corrected.

Skulltag deserves a mention too - new game modes and stuff.

desolatordave said:

where can i find this "strain"?

Avoiding eating roughage for a while should do it.

Grazza: Wow, you were easy to convince.

There's several aliens TC's. but only one is good. The one by Justin Fisher that is.. I just love it so much.

kristus said:

Grazza: Wow, you were easy to convince.

There's several aliens TC's. but only one is good. The one by Justin Fisher that is.. I just love it so much.

Link me baby.

I could never get strain to run correctly... TO THIS DAY, I still can't run Strain correctly... ah well, couldn't have been that good...

Black Void said:

I could never get strain to run correctly... TO THIS DAY, I still can't run Strain correctly... ah well, couldn't have been that good...

Bad news - it IS that good, and more. Was the problem that you couldn't extract/install the files. If so, then I am sure that if you ask nicely, someone will send you the files.
Note that you don't need to use the strnhack.exe executable (or whatever it was called). If you have strain.wad and strain.deh, then you can play it using a source port. I have played STRAIN from start to finish using Zdoom, with only one problem (Map 07 exit - see below). Legacy also seems OK (I have just looked at a few levels using Beta 5/OpenGL), except that there are some see-through walls - an OpenGL issue, I'm sure. I'm not sure how widespread a problem this is. It seems quite bad in Map 04, for instance. There is also the Map 07 issue. STRAIN doesn't appear to work at all with Jdoom. I haven't tried PrBoom.

Map 07: the exit doesn't work in Zdoom (or Legacy). The bars come down, but the exit teleport is non-functional. You could edit the map I suppose, but the simplest is just to start Map 08 with the, er, pistol.

BTW, you will immediately know that something has gone wrong if when you start the game you have any ammo. In STRAIN, a pistol start means just that: you have a pistol, but no ammo!

Grazza said:

Bad news - it IS that good, and more. Was the problem that you couldn't extract/install the files. If so, then I am sure that if you ask nicely, someone will send you the files.

Actually, now that you've mentioned it, that IS indeed the problem. Heh, the thing always froze or came up as an error...

Black Void said:

Actually, now that you've mentioned it, that IS indeed the problem. Heh, the thing always froze or came up as an error...

OK, I'll supply the extracted files if you let me know your e-mail address.
It will be about 5 megs, so if anyone else needs them, let me know your e-mail address in the next 24 hours so that I only need to send it once.

BTW, the download site for the full official freeware version of Hacx (all 20 levels) is:
http://www.drnostromo.com/hacx/GetHacx.html

In legacy you can simply type "exitlevel" in the consol and you'll exit the level as if you hit the exit switch.. dunno about zdoom though.

Umm, I think you'd better send the dude looking for Aliens TC to the idgames archive, cuz you can't get it from the supplied link on Justin Fisher's page. It's dead.

Define Mod. But anyway, I'll have to agree with Fredrik that S.T.R.A.I.N isn't too good. I played it and felt it was messy. Aliens TC doesn't play too well, but it is pretty cool otherwise. Especially considering when it was made.. and also it's what DOOM could have looked like had id chosen to sign up with Fox to do a movie based game! I'll broaden "mod" to mean simply add-on so I can say Requiem. Many other WADs or add-ons excel it in one way or another, here or there, but it is not easy to dispute that overall it's like the Shakespeare of DOOM add-ons, as its authors claimed.

There is another thread "The Essentials.." with a similar discussion that isn't restricted to mods. Requiem seems to be on most people's lists, BTW.
Actually, there seems to be a lot of uniformity in people's favourite megawads, but far more diversity in favourite episodes.

Fredrik said:
Strain is lame.

Dont be lame, Strain's got game!

my fav mods gotta be Aliens TC, HacX, Strain, The Darkening 2, and Alien Vendetta, and Osiris