Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Music should be curated

Ooh, I really like that track. However, we just removed all the Doom clone music from the project, do you think you could rework the little E2M1 bit to be less like it?

I know this happened a few months ago, but why exactly was the old d_ddtblu removed? Does it sound too similar to Doom music, or was there another reason, because I thought it was a beautiful song.

bytebeats said:

alright, here's the version that's a little less like e2m1, it's a midi this time so you guys could use it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye5o1slvc9u4ksq/demondance.mid?dl=0

yessssssss

This is really cool, I love every bit of it apart from maybe what the muted guitar is doing. Aside from being perhaps slightly homage-y to D_E2M1, I don't think it's in key with the rest of the track, or it doesn't sound it.

Great work, though! Please continue to contribute. :D

Danfun64 said:

I know this happened a few months ago, but why exactly was the old d_ddtblu removed? Does it sound too similar to Doom music, or was there another reason, because I thought it was a beautiful song.

IMO it's horrible unfitting for a project like Freedoom. it doesn't sound like anything you'd find in an FPS, and i'm glad it was changed.

Really nice tracks! Fear is excellent.

I like the remix of SEWER.MID and how you extended the intro, but I'm slightly disappointed that you cut the bridge and chorus. Do you think you could remix those parts and extend the song with them?

Also, I think the song sounds better with Synth Bass 2 (039) and Electric Piano 2 (005) for the first two channels, and the Electric drumset (024) instead.

thanks! i appreciate your comments, but i'd advise against the change of instruments, however.

the change from fretless bass to a synth bass not only sounds overpowering and distracting from the rest of the piece, but it throws off the balance of the piece: part of what made bobby prince's tracks for the original DOOM great was his blend of electronic synths and acoustic elements in his work.

not only that, but the change from the piano to the electric piano would do the same. furthermore, the piano adds a sense of mystery to the piece that the electric piano lacks.

not to mention the drumkit: although i do like the punch that drum kit has, the change to the electric drumkit would be extremely distracting and take away from the atmosphere of the song.

trust me on this: i've done a blind listening test with a couple friends and they've advised against these changes.

however, i do agree about the length of the piece. your original track ran for 4 minutes and mine only stops shy of half that amount. i'll see about adding back the original bridge and chorus.

after this track, i'll get straight to work on grendel.mid. thanks again!

There was a ticket about this last year: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/issues/156

I think some, but not all, Jute’s tracks make usable level scores. I also think more music contributions will improve FreeDoom even more, but we have enough raw music to have a playable megawad with far fewer duplicated soundtracks than the original Doom or Doom2.

Wonderful MAP01 theme! The current one should be moved to another mapslot, preferably replacing one of the poorer quality songs.

Yes, please make more if you're willing to. You do good work.

P.S. I wonder if we could get some tracks from the Plutonia MIDI pack to be donated to Freedoom.

Hello,

I like the old music of Map 11, 12, 15, 22, 23, 25, 26 and 27.
I suggest the future soundtrack of phase 2 as following :

Map01 (Mogul)
Map02 (old music of map 15)
Map03 (Picklehammer)
Map04 (Mogul)
Map05 (old music of map 25)
Map06 (Picklehammer)
Map07 (Picklehammer)
Map08 (Blueworrior)
Map09 (halluc by Woolie)
Map10 (Picklehammer)
Map11 (old music)
Map12 (old music)
Map13 (Mogul)
Map14 (Themistercat)
Map15 (themistercat)
Map16 (reflexion scrag by scragadelic)
Map17 (Blueworrior)
Map18 (Mogul)
Map19 (usual music)
Map20 (wastelandscavangers by sodaholic)
Map21 (Mogul)
Map22 (old music)
Map23 (old music)
Map24 (andrewb)
Map25 (Musicfreedoom 11 by Mogul)
Map26 (old music)
Map27 (old music)
Map28 (blueworrior)
Map29 (Picklehammer)
Map30 (Picklehammer)
Map31/ending (wastedjamacan)
Map32 (mellow)