Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Third_Dino

Is the Doom RPG worth playing?

Have you guys played the Doom/Wolfenstein RPGS on Mobile? If so, are they any good? I've heard a lot about them, but I'm wondering if they're worth checking out or not.

Yeah, the original Doom RPG is absolutelly worth it. didn't played much any other, but they seems cool too. and don't forget about Orcs & Elves, brilliant game

The really hard part is finding a compatible device to play them on. The originals were Java ME/MIDP games (aka the old "Java games" of yesteryears' mobile phone), plus there was a less well-known Symbian version for the Nokia S60 and a few other.

I am a little astonished that nobody from this big community recreated the Doom RPG for PC.

(Except Benjamin Pulido, but as usual his stuff is of terrible quality)

Play it! Its actually really enjoyable and challenging (especially Doom RPG 2). Play WolfRPG 1st then Doom RPG 2nd and finally Doom RPG 2. They have an interconnected story between them.

BTW Doom RPG was the 1st Doom game I've played.

The first RPG was pretty meh. The second one was alright. Not amazing, but not terribly bad either, bonus points if you like System Shock.

As Maes said, finding a compatible device is pretty hard. It was tough to get it to work on my own phone years back, and it barely worked then. Haven't played it since I lost that old phone ages ago.

As far as I can remember, Wolfenstein RPG and Doom II RPG are (or were) available for iOS. On iOS they had better graphics and more features.

Were they released on android at any point?

I had Doom 2 rpg back when I had an iPhone but that was so long ago. I never got to play the first one or Wolfenstein rpg unfortunately :(

But Doom 2 rpg was pretty decent for what it was I guess. Didn't get too far into it though.

Aren't there any emulator, if finding compatible hardware is hard? If it's Java bytecode, it shouldn't be too hard to make a phone emulator based on a JVM...

vadrig4r said:

Wow, my condolences.

Hell, there's way worse things to start on than Doom RPG, it is actually a fairly good game. Would like to get my hands on it, it's been years since I've actually seen it.

Gez said:

Aren't there any emulator, if finding compatible hardware is hard? If it's Java bytecode, it shouldn't be too hard to make a phone emulator based on a JVM...

There are J2ME emulators for Android, but I don't know how compatible they are with the Doom RPG specifically. Even if you get them running, the control scheme may be less than stellar. E.g. the Doom RPG worked OK on my Sony Ericsson K750i (great phone for its time, BTW), but that one had a built-in keypad and even a small joystick positioned right below the screen and centered on the phone's body (BTW, most actions were controlled by this joystick/d-pad). No idea what sort of controls an emulator will provide.

Gez said:

There is KEmulator on PC, that works pretty decently as far as I've used it. Though, I haven't tried it with Doom RPG, so results may vary...

I couldn't get Doom RPG #1 to work on an actual J2ME-supporting mobile phone, let alone an emulator.

I was lucky enough to play the original Doom RPG on my Old Sony Ericsson (W810i, I believe?). It was 'average' as far as games go, but considering the other games that were available on mobile devices at the time, it was far, far superior.

I imagine it would feel dated and boring today, though.

I actually want to play the RPG, but I don't know how.

Maes said:

...Symbian...

My girlfriend wanted one of those for Christmas but I thought it might damage our relationship...

Face23785 said:

I actually want to play the RPG, but I don't know how.

It's not too hard. It's Turn-based Doom, really. (Though, there are some slight differences, it's not too hard to get used to)

Petition for kaiser to make Doom RPG EX. Or maybe it could be added to Mocha Doom as a supported game, since they're both java, but I'm probably talking out my ass again.

I'd quite like to see a community-made Doom RPG, by forking a source port. Actually I'd like to see a Heretic or Hexen RPG along the same lines.

Jon said:

I'd quite like to see a community-made Doom RPG, by forking a source port. Actually I'd like to see a Heretic or Hexen RPG along the same lines.

This could easily be produced as a ZDoom mod using advanced ACS features, no need for an engine fork! :)

Dragonfly said:

This could easily be produced as a ZDoom mod using advanced ACS features, no need for an engine fork! :)

I was working on something that would produce similar results, and I remember someone else sharing something they did for tile-based movement. I've been meaning to analyze it, but the aforementioned project has been in my backburner for a while now. I do want to pick it up, but I've been busy with other work, some pertaining to ZDoom.

Dragonfly said:

Yes, it could. But I was being selfish, I don't use Zdoom so I'd rather it was done at the engine level, personally -- or in the subset of features that Eternity supports, perhaps.

LanHikariDS said:

There is KEmulator on PC, that works pretty decently as far as I've used it. Though, I haven't tried it with Doom RPG, so results may vary...

I played Doom RPG with KEmulator. It worked pretty well.

Doomkid said:

Hell, there's way worse things to start on than Doom RPG, it is actually a fairly good game. Would like to get my hands on it, it's been years since I've actually seen it.

Like Doom for SNES? :p