Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

TNT Revilution: Final release now on ID Games!

CWolfRu said:

Done.
Let's name it "Wrong way", maybe?
I don't have MIDI for it...

Download

I'm going to have to say no to this map. What it comes down to is that the map is far to simple in it's design for me to accept it. The whole map is basically a winding hallway from start to finish with a bit of height variation here & there. On the positive side detailing is well done & you made good use of the textures & your lighting is good as well. There's also some broken elements to the map, I got stuck & had to cheat & there is no way to backtrack at all.

video of my playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hrf3jrOTb4&feature=youtu.be

dobu gabu maru said:

Here's Transduction with the difficulties incorporated and some misalignments fixed. Didn't test the pre-Hell area but everything should be fine.

I know I'm not involved with this project anymore, but I had to check this out, since this map was the beginning of my involvement with this project, back when it was still TNT 2. It was also the first (of two >_>) time I was asked to do music for a map, so it's kinda close to my heart in that respect, and with "dobu edits" my expectations were high.

Only done one attempt so far. I was surprised that everything in the first part of the map seems to be exactly as it was, but I'm glad that's the case, since I never had any issue with those early parts.

So having prior knowledge of the map, I was immediately aware of the changes when I got to the room before the Wormhole homage and no monsters came out of a trap where I expected them to. I walk into the Wormhole homage itself, and it's still empty. I then wandered into areas that I recognised as being the original void area but re-textured as part of the base, and it was then that I knew what was up.
That base part is all lit up pretty brightly, which is quite a sharp contrast to the initial part of the map, and I would normally protest, but the fact it's completely empty and clean combined with the knowledge of what comes next, I was pretty damn nervous walking through this part, so fantastic stuff.
With that in mind, I like how the Wormhole homage has been kept. Even for someone playing for the first time, the suspicious emptiness of this area plus the fact that the room is ripped from Wormhole of all maps is a very well-executed hint as to what is coming up.
Then I fell into that pit an arrived in the alternate reality and saw the monsters in front of me. Oh boy.
I knew this room wouldn't be a walk in the park like the rest of the map, and sure enough it wasn't. Only tried once so far, so I'm yet to go back and try again, but I get the idea. Wow.

So yeah in summary, my expectations were met and exceeded. I knew you had extended the void section, I didn't expect the set-up through the now monsterless homage, which I thought had been removed actually...
If it were music, I'd say this would be what it needed to really take the roof off, and I can't think of a mapping equivalent for that expression, but whatever it is, it's just. Amazing stuff, a set favourite for sure.

Hey there peoples, I've been entirely absent from this thread, but I figured now was the time to make a post about the DM placement since I sent all this info to Jaws just a moment ago.

I've gotten up to map12 for deathmatch start placement. Depending on how you guys like the DM start placement, I could potentially move some of them or add one or two if they seem too sparse, but I playtested everything thru 12 in a 3-man deathmatch server and, aside from map06 and map10 which had some badly placed preexisting DM starts which I still need to remove, it was really fun and fast the whole way through.

I've found the best method is to devote a certain area of the map to DM play. Naturally players can go off and hide, but with 3 or more players that tactic won't work as you won't score any frags.

I've added the odd shotgun and chaingun around in multiplayer only, but really have done my best to ensure it wont break the flow of gameplay in survival mode. (Co-op is a no rules slaughterfest anyway, so I don't think it matters as much there, but the same still applies, you shouldn't be getting anything sooner than you already would have anyway.)

Overall I think this could end up being a great wad for deathmatch MP events at this rate. I'll keep working on it, and I hope you guys like what's there so far! http://www.mediafire.com/download/00aq06914n8ibxd/RevilutiDM_1.zip

Eris Falling said:

If it were music, I'd say this would be what it needed to really take the roof off, and I can't think of a mapping equivalent for that expression, but whatever it is, it's just. Amazing stuff, a set favourite for sure.

Thanks! I actually wouldn't have made the entire silver test site if it hadn't been for your midi. Often times I work while having the map's track on repeat so I can memorize the exact energy the music is trying to convey, and since your tune was full of suspense and unease, I figured that removing all of the monsters in the post-key door areas really would help really drive home the feeling that something is wrong. I think the tonal contrast between your song and the full-bright silver chamber is probably my favorite part of the map. So thanks for making music and stuffs :P

Monthly Progress Update: March 1, 2016

Hello everybody it's that time again for the monthly progress update of whats been happening with TNT Revilution. It's been kind of a slow month this one, at the beginning of February I had hoped to get 3 new maps in the wad. Still though even though we didn't get any new maps this month we did get an updated map 12 thanks to Dobu Gabu Maru, 2 updated JDoyle midis, & Doomkid is well on his way to making this wad fun for deathmatchers, progress is progress so the work from these 3 is much appreciated. Map slots are coming & going almost faster than I can keep track of at the moment. After contacting Breezeep for the monthly progress check I decided to opened up map 5, currently Dobu Gabu Maru is interested in the slot so I am going to be reserving it for him for the time being, in addition to a possible map 5 Dobu will be tuning up map 22 which is the last map in the wad that is in an unfinished state. As for map 11 I have made a request to tourniquet to make the map, he busy with another project right now, but he will get back to me withing the next few days on whether he will be able to make that map or not. I haven't made an official announcement until now, but a few of you may have noticed that Eternal has appeared in the OP as working on map 14. SteveD has recently completed maps for another project that he is working on so Map 16 is now underway, the same can be said for AD_79 & map 24 as well. Map 26 has been offered to Ribbiks, & he has confirmed that he will be making a map using the midi Grandfather Clocktower. Map 32 has been offered to Mechadon, he is very interested in joining the project, but he also pretty busy at the moment so he won't be able to start mapping for a few more weeks yet. My tentative deadline of June 17 draws ever closer & we're still 9 maps away from a completed set of maps, yet I still remain optimistic that we will come very close to making that deadline.

Cool that you're reaching out to some extraordinary mappers. June deadline seems like a smart schedule given what's left, and it'll definitely give me enough time to finish other projects before I sit down with MAP05. Speaking of, as long as I'm reserving the slot, I'd also like to nab Doomhuntress' Avec Vous as my midi of choice--the tribal drums vibe with the underground theme I have cookin' in my brain.

Actually I took only a quick look at some map back when I started to make a map for this. I booted this up on PRBoom+ cl2, doing pistol starts:
MAP01: Excellent opener, I really loved the visuals and the gameplay was allright for a MAP01. The only thing is that there are 2 green armors (though one is secret) and the map is really short
MAP02: Also this one was really good. But same as MAP01 there are 2 green armors, I think that the one near the end could be removed.
MAP03: I loved this map, the best one among those I played so far. Fair difficulty and it had some really nice ideas.
MAP04: It was really fun. Though the big areas felt bare and empty imo. I'm not sure about using those block monsters lines in the last area, I think that the monsters behind them can put more pressure if they are free to move.
MAP06: It flowed rather well but im not fond of this map. The areas seem to be just put together without having a strong sense of connection. The exit can be put when the floor lowers at the ending, the hallway afterwards felt more like filler.
MAP07: The section inside the building is really cool. Though the start and the ending seem a bit rushed and they lack of something more interesting.

MAP08: I think that a good ammount of ammo can be removed, there are so many hitscanners and I was full of ammo most of the time thanks to them. Before get the red key you press a switch which releases some pinkies but they are mostly useless there. If they are replaced with imps or some flying monsters it would be better.

MAP09: Good map. I liked how in the late areas to progress you visit areas that were visible before but inaccessible.

MAP10: It's allright I guess. The cave is just a big flat area copypasted more times, maybe make it at least twice taller to give it a more distinct feel to the rest of the map. Though I liked the idea of shaping it as a pentacle.

MAP12: Excellent map. The music is really cool and adds a superb atmosphere. I liked how it was done the Wormhole homage. From the rooms with the red and yellow key you can see an outdoor area with a soulsphere, but it is inaccessible and thus the secret area in there cannot be reached. The platform with the soulsphere has a tag and a teleport destination thing but there isn't a teleport that goes there, also the teleport that takes out from there doesn' t have a destination. And in the secret area the switch lowers only a couple of bars which have a decorative/hint function near that switch. Maybe something got cutted out in the works of the map, this appear both on the incomplete version in the wad and in the most recent posted by dobu.

MAP13: Surprisingly hard for having a quite simple layout. I really liked the choice of the colors. I suggest to use some of the stock cement texture among the others if you can afford other segs. They have some more details and can give the area a better appereance. It should be more hinted how to get the SSG, it's a really important weapon as there's few health and ammo overall. I couldn't finish the map as the sector 153 doesn't lower though on -monsters it does, idk what could it be.

MAP15: The good old map with a nukage sea. It's nice but the buildings feel more like huge crude boxes. I'm not sure about the location of the invulnerability, it seems really awkward to use and it will probably drain before beign useful. The map is missing the secret exit.

MAP31: I was expecting something different, but even for beign mostly a homage to Pharaoh I loved this map. Fun gameplay and the place was really pleasant to explore.

MAp17: Nice map. The setting with the two buildings on the opposite sides of the lake is cool.

MAP18: I loved how the big metal building with the offices has somekind of an imposing vibe on the map as you approach it. I had to finish this map on ZDoom the red door is bugged, it doesn't open.

MAP20: This had a cool atmosphere at the start, and it fits very well as conclusive map of the episode. Though as I keep progressing it started to become anticlimactic, and rather disappointing after you get past the red key door.
Also the cyberdemon doesn't teleport inside the map.

Hope i didn't overlook something in the OP but if Buckets 'TeNeT' is still free i'd like to pick it for map11.

MAP21: Nice opener for E3. The sector 16 doesn't lower and you can't progress in that area.

MAP22: It's rather okay until you arrive in the big area with the caged sergeants. But it's clear that from there is more in a WIP state.

MAP23: This one has a nice feel of beign weird E3 TNT maps, great job. In the elevator after the yellow key door I couldn't open the lower door to the outside.

MAP25: I had some hard times here. With all the crossfire that happens in the first area I entered in the first room I found (the one with the blue and red switches and thus missing the SSG) and started to make my way from there and I went to the upper area with the RL but. Visually is really cool and it has good encounters.
The blood sectors 136 and 138 aren't damaging.

MAP28: I had to play this on ZDoom. The sector 515 doesn't lower and you can't go really far in the map. Sectors 370 and 490 (pits with some monsters) don't raise. Also the box of shells (thing 457) appears to float.

MAP29: This one has a really cool idea, and it's well executed imo. But I think that these things can improve it:
-balance of ammo/health: given that the supplies are "symmetrical" in both parts after a while they start to become too much. It would be cool if you cut some of them so you are actually encouraged to see how to get to the various areas.
-visually: The contrast of gree/blue with brown/red is nice but I think that it needs something more to differentiate the two parts. The brown area would be more cool with a strong hellish look.

Here's an update to Transduction that fixes the secret errors. I also added a BFG to the map, but it can be tricky to get to.

gaspe said:

MAP22: It's rather okay until you arrive in the big area with the caged sergeants.

Yeah the first thing I did when I got the map was ax that entire segment--there is nothing interesting visually nor gameplay-wise in that area. I do agree with Marcaek that Kyka has some really cool ideas sometimes, so I flipped around the exit location, now making it the final arena:

I'm debating whether or not to put teles down in the lava because it breaks the drawseg limit. Personally I'm fine with inescapable death pits :P

Sorry for the double post, but could someone test out this final battle? I can't decide whether to have 1 or 2 archviles out of the gate first... I like it as is, but maybe it's too brutal?

Link here. Plays on MAP22.

I think it's okay with 2 AVs. With only 1 it may be too easy to take cover and just use the cyber as shield imo. And maybe the flying monsters can come earlier too.

hey uh so very sorry about this, but I think I'm gonna drop my map24 slot. I don't see it happening all that soon and I'd rather give the slot to someone who will get something of good quality done in a reasonable amount of time. I'm actually struggling with it quite a bit!

My only request to whoever picks up the slot is to keep the midi (The Arcane) in place. It's one of my personal favourites from the Revilution soundtrack and I'd hate to see it go.

EDIT: Requesting MAP02 be renamed to "Geothermal" because it sounds less dumb

I may be willing to go for that MAP24 slot; I have some possible ideas within the confines of E3 that I'd like to play around with.

Oh yes, this finished Neato is absolutely a super-great fit for map02! Only problem I noticed with it: The track during playback seems to end at 8 minutes, while the actual music part ends at about 4:38, leaving over three minutes of nothingness.

Hi guys, I've been dealing with a broken computer since about March 25th so I haven't been able to get any updates from anyone for ahwile. If you are mapping for this could you just post a progress update here in the thread so I can get an idea of where we are at.

Hey, I've been waiting for approval for MAP24 but since it's been quiet for so long I only recently started making a map for the slot that fits the high-tech hell theme. I can post some screens at a later time when it's a little more presentable.

Been upgrading a couple bits of MAP22 and fiddling with the layout—I never want to work on a vanilla project again after this. Some previews:

Also a little teaser for MAP05:

Haven't really made any of it yet, but I've got a couple ideas. MAP22 definitely comes first... should have it ready in early May.

dobu gabu maru said:

I never want to work on a vanilla project again after this.

I was literally just about to ask if you wanted to collab on MAP30. :(

I'm not saying "no" to that, but as of right now I gotta finish up these maps first. As long as your idea for the map isn't too big, I'd be willing to take a gander.

dobu gabu maru said:

Been upgrading a couple bits of MAP22 and fiddling with the layout—I never want to work on a vanilla project again after this.

Are the limits really annoying? I have never worked on a vanilla map and having to deal with visplanes is a big reason why.