Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshua Schäferhund

So I updated my Roland Sound Canvas soundfont.

For those of you who have downloaded the older versions of my soundfont, I recently made an update that includes new samples I was able to record and I also tweaked some stuff as well. I think it's as close as I can get it to sound like an actual SC-55 module at this point. The only thing that's holding it back is lack of note velocity filtering which I am unable to replicate through Viena.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6bmov62qmbky03/Patch93s_Roland_Sound_Canvas_V2.2_soundfont.zip

EDIT: Rerecorded several samples for Fluidsynth compatibility.

I also updated the link in the description of my YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmN1a3cDMg

This is probably a stupid question, but how I would I use a file like this? Can I use it to change how MIDI music sounds in GZDoom, for example?

If you'd rather not install Windows drivers, GZDoom itself also supports FluidSynth and WildMIDI, and all you'll need to do is download a couple of files and configure the INI file to make them work.

[edit] It appears, though, that WildMIDI requires GUS patches to work, not a soundfont, so FluidSynth may be the option you'll want...again, if you don't feel like installing a Windows driver (personally I'd do that instead, since it's more of a catch-all).

I would personally not recommend Fluidsynth, as it causes some of the samples to play back incorrectly from what I tested. (The choir and string ensemble presets sounded off IIRC.) I might try to fix that later on, but the soundfont is particularly optimized for Coolsoft.

EDIT: The strings are actually fine, but the choir aahs are off.

i've used BassMIDI with soundfonts in the past, to... mixed results. more often than not, i've had the damn thing fail to initialize and freeze up the game. i'd try more soundfonts out if i weren't so turned off by the fact at this point.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm a newb, but I've never used a soundfont, and I probably shouldn't, without knowing the possible side-effects it would have on my Windows system.

EDIT: ACK! I can't read! DELETE! DELETE!

WildWeasel said:

If you'd rather not install Windows drivers, GZDoom itself also supports FluidSynth and WildMIDI, and all you'll need to do is download a couple of files and configure the INI file to make them work.

[edit] It appears, though, that WildMIDI requires GUS patches to work, not a soundfont, so FluidSynth may be the option you'll want...again, if you don't feel like installing a Windows driver (personally I'd do that instead, since it's more of a catch-all).

WildMIDI cannot use SF2 at the moment, but TiMidity++ can.

Doesn't change Patch93's objections, though.

UPDATE: Remade the Choir Aaah, Voice Oohs, and Synth Vox samples for Fluidsynth compatibility. All of those should be fine now under Fluidsynth.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6bmov62qmbky03/Patch93s_Roland_Sound_Canvas_V2.2_soundfont.zip

I recommend editing your Fluidsynth settings in your ZDoom/GZDoom config file to these for best results:

fluid_chorus_type=1
fluid_chorus_depth=8
fluid_chorus_speed=0.3
fluid_chorus_level=1
fluid_chorus_voices=3
fluid_reverb_level=0.1
fluid_reverb_width=4
fluid_reverb_damping=0
fluid_reverb_roomsize=0.8
fluid_threads=1
fluid_samplerate=0
fluid_interp=1
fluid_voices=128
fluid_chorus=true
fluid_reverb=true
fluid_gain=0.8

Let me know if any further issues persist.