Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

Great Games no one ever heard of!

Rogue Trooper - an excellent, and refreshing 3rd person tactical shooter. Linear story, but lots of granular freedom in how to approach individual engagements. One of the few games I've actually bothered to beat. Just a rock-solid 8/10 action game that satisfies the itch to be a badass. Recommend hardest difficulty for maximum fun.

I'm kind of a sucker for Japanese horror/survial games, so my vote is for these:

and

Although I only posted the cover for the first Fatal Frame, most of the entries in the series were pretty good and are in my game library.

I almost rented Siren at blockbuster one time after seeing a pretty decent review of it online. Can't remember what I rented instead, but it seemed like a pretty neat game.

Fatal Frame was wayyyyy to freaky for me. I've always had a deep seated fear of ghosts, not to mention apparitions appearing in photographs. Call me a wimp, but it gets to me. I remember accidentally discovering one of the superimposed Hideo Kojima pictures in Metal Gear Solid while I was taking pictures with the in-game camera, and I think that scarred my young mind for life.

Pavera said:

Fatal Frame was wayyyyy to freaky for me. I've always had a deep seated fear of ghosts, not to mention apparitions appearing in photographs. Call me a wimp, but it gets to me. I remember accidentally discovering one of the superimposed Hideo Kojima pictures in Metal Gear Solid while I was taking pictures with the in-game camera, and I think that scarred my young mind for life.

I must be one of those weird people who enjoys being scared. One of my most vivid memories of Fatal Frame was playing it in my room in late spring/early summer and it was about 72 degrees outside, maybe a little warmer in the house. While I was playing in broad daylight (as opposed to night time, which I've also done), in the warmth of the sun, my arms were covered in goosebumps but I just couldn't set the controller down.

Job said:

I must be one of those weird people who enjoys being scared. One of my most vivid memories of Fatal Frame was playing it in my room in late spring/early summer and it was about 72 degrees outside, maybe a little warmer in the house. While I was playing in broad daylight (as opposed to night time, which I've also done), in the warmth of the sun, my arms were covered in goosebumps but I just couldn't set the controller down.

Yeah, I definitely don't identify as the type of person who likes being scared.

I love a creepy, unsettling atmosphere in a game, but what I don't like are games that just stress me out or make me nervous (like five nights at freddy's). I loved Amnesia because that game built an awesome atmosphere around fear of the unknown, and didn't rely on stressing me out with the next jump scare right around the corner. I think I hate jump scares more than anyone on planet Earth. Of course, I don't think Fatal Frame is built around that either...I just have a personal problem with ghosts.

"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" it's an old point and click adventure DOS game, I just watched some playthroughs of it on YouTube and it seems quite good.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Red Zone (Genesis):

Avoozl said:

"I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" it's an old point and click adventure DOS game, I just watched some playthroughs of it on YouTube and it seems quite good.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/41/Screamcover.jpg/250px-Screamcover.jpg

Yeah this game is supposedly pretty good. I think Night Dive recently released a remastered version of it for GOG and mobile devices, so now is probably as good a time as ever to check it out.

schwerpunk said:

Rogue Trooper - an excellent, and refreshing 3rd person tactical shooter.

I wouldn't call it a tactical shooter, it's more a typical Third-Person Shooter with some unique twists. I really liked the atmosphere of that war-torn world.

Avoozl said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/41/Screamcover.jpg/250px-Screamcover.jpg

I absolutely love this game!

Anyone ever play Realms Of The Haunting? That was a good game with garbage for controls. I remember trying it out forever ago and not making it very far but loved the vibe

Potatoguy said:

Let me add another to the list! This one's from the guys who brought you the Army Men Games!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XCQ2xULuntg/hqdefault.jpg

THIS IS A WONDERFUL GAME.
Incredible mayhem and destruction WITH TANKS, this game has SO MANY weapons/tanks to try out. The campaign is very enjoyable, with varying mission assignments to complete, and hundreds of tanks to wreck, this was VERY FUN. Not to mention if you had a buddy to fight against, it would provide some of the best multiplayer you can have on the 64/ps2! Plus BADASS MUSIC. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYL6YTtNI8)

Seriously: Try it.

A few months ago I played this game on hard (N64 version) and slowly beat the whole thing. Took weeks. It's a very challenging game. I really, really, really like how there's such a wide variety of tanks and weapons, and once you get a handle on the controls, it's a pretty smooth ride. I was also impressed that the basic types of levels (destroy everything, lead a convoy, get from point A to point B, rescue prisoners, etc.) resulted in a surprising amount of variety. Level design is maybe a bit barren, but it's a pretty addictive overall experience.

kmxexii said:

Zeliard, another game I didn't really get as a kid... I think I barely made it past the the forest dungeon back then.

I come back to Zeliard every once and awhile. I can get all the way to pretty much the end, but then it just gets too confusing. It is a very, very challenging game. I'm not into dungeon slashers normally, but because I grew up with Zeliard, it has a special place in my heart. Really fun and one of the best soundtracks in any DOS game ever.

Pavera said:

Oh man, I remember seeing magazine previews for that game in Official Playstation Magazine. Never got to play it, but it looked cool like Syphon Filter with monsters.

Its kinda funny how it's overall considered bad these days. The difficulty is pretty brutal, but I have such fond memories of all the hundreds of secrets and trollish item placement, not to mention the dick moves of locking you out of the ending if you don't do specific tasks

Really hoping it gets a GOG rerelease one day.

J.B.R said:

I find it stupid that this game got panned by critics, i don't see anything wrong with it, plus i own Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma and i know that the gameplay is similar and difficult too.

Yeah, first moment i got it i thought it's going to be only about killing endless waves of zombies, but it eventually became fun with all puzzles i had to solve, skills unlocked and many boss encounters, It's really nice .

CorSair said:

If we want to go for more point&click games:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Dark_Seed_Cover.jpg

But I don't recommend the second one.

The first one is pretty much impossible without spending tens of hours on trial and hour or with a walkthrough in front of you. Despite this the actual game can beaten in a couple of hours.

The second one is one of the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've ever seen.
They took the Mike Dawson character without permission from the real life Mike Dawson and turned him into an unemployed nutjob who lives with his mother.

For some other "classic" point-and-click games in the same style, there's Harvester and Phantasmagoria.

Most of these games seem unobtainable now, unless you emulate it. Sad, O.D.T. seems like a real good one!

Well, here' another one!

ONE HELL OF A FUCKING HARD GBA GAME. Probably the hardest! BUT DAMN IS IT FUN. It's a damn challenging game, but it would be difficult to find a sidescrolling shooter this intense. Pretty diverse levels (including a fucking vehicle section...) and a good selection of weapons to choose from, its a blast to play with. Story's ok, but the gameplay is what i came for!

This game is actually a sequal to an old Sega Genesis game, which was equally challenging! I got it through Virtual Console back when it was a thing in the Wii.

Same critique as top, practically the same story/gameplay. Still a good one to play!

call of duty

no, but really, i'd say Rising Storm. it's a fairly realistic ww2 fps, it's multiplayer but you also have the option to play with bots (which are really good!)

it may look generic, but it's actually not.

Anyone here played Cryostasis? I think that game didn't get much publicity, I've never played it but it looks good.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

Nobody remembers it, nobody talks about it.

Edit: Actually, Medal of Honor series as a whole (except for the remakes). There were a lot of good games in the series, but they all have fallen to obscurity after Call of Duty came out.

MDK is one hell of a game. 1997 third-person shooter by Shiny Entertainment (makers of Earthworm Jim). Filled with weird stuff, e.g. you have an item called "The most interesting bomb in the world", the monsters gather around it when thrown, they stare at it, then the bomb goes off. However, the downside is that you have only 6 levels. Another thing that simply blasted my brain was the ending video-sequence.
The second part is similarly awesome, too. (but not made by Shiny)

I'd say Serious Sam (Xbox) version. Why? Some people haven't really heard of the series, and to be honest it's a great game. Oh and also Serious Sam: The Next Encounter for the Gamecube is a real hidden gem for sure. =)