Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

AMD beats NVIDIA in early Doom benchmarks, with AMD dominating at 4K

I call at least a little bullshit on those numbers. I ran the alpha, on a GTX970 with a stock i5-2500K, and got solid 60FPS the entire time.

Aside from anecdotal evidence, I wouldn't really put any faith in any benchmarks for unfinished code, especially when in virtually every other test at 4K the GTX Titan X and the 980Ti are whipping the 295X and the other top AMD cards.

From my personal experience, I can't trust any of the numbers in these charts. The GTX 780 is listed with an avg. fps of 35, but my supposedly weaker 760 never dipped below 50.

I have no idea what they did to make DOOM run so poorly on these GPUs.

The original benchmarking article (in Russian) states that the game uses sparse voxel octrees for its rendering. Uh, lol? I know Carmack was experimenting with them at one point but I have never once heard that Doom 2016 actually uses them.

These benchmarks seem off a good bit to me as well. I played on an r9 270x 2gb single card and got pretty solid results on the 1080p with aa maxed myself. Sometimes it may have dipped very slightly when there was an insane fight going on but for the most part i got a solid at LEAST 50fps. Seeing some of the better nvidia cards showing lower fps is strange to me.

Like all new releases, the game will become better optimised with patches etc, so that will change.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I call bullshit, those benches aren't real..

here's my bench

MiNaM said:

Here are some benchmark results running Doom Alpha

System specs:
- intel Core i7 2700k 3.5Ghz @ stock clocks
- 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
- Asus Strix GTX 980 4GB @ stock clocks
- Game runs from RAID0 HDDs

SW:
- CPU Load: CoreTemp max recorded
- GPU Load: Asus GPU Tweak
- FPS Benchmark: Fraps
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & nvidia geforce 361.75 whql drivers

Map: Heatwave, 6v6 team deathmatch
(1680*1050, No AA)

CPU LOAD
core#0 : 30%
core#1 : 34%
core#2 : 21%
core#3 : 20%

GPU LOAD
min : 53%
max : 99%

FPS
min : 55
max : 61
avg : 59,884

-----

(1680*1050, AA High "FXAA+TSSAA)

CPU LOAD
core#0 : 38%
core#1 : 31%
core#2 : 26%
core#3 : 31%

GPU LOAD
min : 64%
max : 99%

FPS
min : 48
max : 62
avg : 59,695

and will post 4K results soon...

My Geforce 560ti isn't even on there? It was so young and full of promise in 2012... =P

(I pre-ordered Doom for PS4. Hopefully this game'll still be going strong by the time I put together my next PC)

These benchmarks are pretty harsh really. My brother just got a GTX 970 4gb a few months ago, currently goes for $335 on Amazon. Not a cheap card. It averages 44 FPS at 1080p? Ouch.

They announced that this game will be running at 1080p 60FPS on PS4 and Xbone, so I assume these benchmarks are on full settings. So at least you could get 60 FPS by turning down a couple settings I guess.

Still, PC gaming is pricey these days, if can't even play this game full settings and get 60 FPS with a good relatively recent card.

AirRaid said:

I call at least a little bullshit on those numbers. I ran the alpha, on a GTX970 with a stock i5-2500K, and got solid 60FPS the entire time.

Well that's cool. Though I'd figure the campaign is more taxing graphically than the multiplayer. Granted this article is based on the multiplayer alpha.

Yeah any benchmark you see right now is based off the MP alpha. It's the only version of the game anyone who is doing benchmarks has.

Your 970 will be fine, it's a really great card.

AirRaid said:

Yeah any benchmark you see right now is based off the MP alpha. It's the only version of the game anyone who is doing benchmarks has.

Your 970 will be fine, it's a really great card.

That's my brother I mentioned, I have a 560ti. So PS4 for me for now. :D

Lol, go figure that my 390X is the only new card they DON'T have a benchmark for. Although it should end up someone around the Fury X and 295X in terms of performance.

Not at the PC so I can't look for it atm, but iirc the new AMD cards actually perform better at 4k than they do at 1080p because of something to do with memory(?) or something.

PsychoGoatee said:

That's my brother I mentioned, I have a 560ti. So PS4 for me for now. :D

I'd still grab the PC version with that card, possibly play it at 720p res instead if you end up with problems. Even though it does state that a 660 is "minimum" you could easily get around it especially since a 660 is a pretty capable card for 1080p. I have one and it plays games like alien isolation at ultra 100-120fps 1080p.

Fluffles said:

I'd still grab the PC version with that card, possibly play it at 720p res instead if you end up with problems. Even though it does state that a 660 is "minimum" you could easily get around it especially since a 660 is a pretty capable card for 1080p. I have one and it plays games like alien isolation at ultra 100-120fps 1080p.

XCOM 2 for example I had to play on pretty low settings recently. My rig is from 2012, i5-2500k 3.30gz, etc. I'm sure I could play Doom on it, but I figure I'll play it on PS4 and play it again on PC with high settings in a couple years when I make my next PC.

I also have a gtx 970, but the difference is that I am also using a 1440p monitor. Doubt I will get smooth 60fps on that res with full settings.

It's kinda funny. I bought the monitor (with a huge discount I might add) cus I figured higher res=better graphics. But then I can't play most new games on full settings in-spite of having a very recent PC because it's too demanding at such a high res :/

PsychoGoatee said:

XCOM 2 for example I had to play on pretty low settings recently. My rig is from 2012, i5-2500k 3.30gz, etc. I'm sure I could play Doom on it, but I figure I'll play it on PS4 and play it again on PC with high settings in a couple years when I make my next PC.

Dude. The rest of your system is literally awesome; all you need in order to play Doom at solid settings is a $150 GTX 950. You can probably even get a few bucks by selling the 560.

Consider doing that instead of forcing yourself to play the game on a console :-P

EDIT: 560 Ti sells for like $60 on eBay, more than I had thought. Seriously, consider just upgrading your GPU.

Plasma Gun said:

Dude. The rest of your system is literally awesome; all you need in order to play Doom at solid settings is a $150 GTX 950. You can probably even get a few bucks by selling the 560.

Consider doing that instead of forcing yourself to play the game on a console :-P

EDIT: 560 Ti sells for like $60 on eBay, more than I had thought. Seriously, consider just upgrading your GPU.

You are tempting me, I guess my PC is closer to qualified than I figured. Though looking at the official page's alpha requirements:

"Minimum Spec (720p)

64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB VRAM) / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB VRAM)
6GB HDD space
Steam account
High speed internet connection

*Please note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 680m and 860m models are below min spec for the DOOM Closed Alpha

Recommended Spec (1080p)

Intel Core i7 @ 3.4GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz or better
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB or more VRAM) / AMD Radeon R9 280 (3GB or more VRAM)
6GB HDD space
Steam account
High speed internet connection"

I get the impression I'd be playing on lower settings or resolution, even if I spent 150-200 extra just to play it. And not sure if a 2GB card would do great on it, but it is a tempting idea.

I played the alpha on an MSI R9 270x 2gb and played at the highest settings with no problem man. Granted it WAS only the alpha and MP at that, I think it'll do fine in the SP final release as well. I did buy it on Xbox One just in case lol

PsychoGoatee said:

You are tempting me, I guess my PC is closer to qualified than I figured. Though looking at the official page's alpha requirements:

"Minimum Spec (720p)

Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB VRAM) / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB VRAM)
6GB HDD space
Steam account
High speed internet connection

*Please note that the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 680m and 860m models are below min spec for the DOOM Closed Alpha

Recommended Spec (1080p)

Intel Core i7 @ 3.4GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz or better
8GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB or more VRAM) / AMD Radeon R9 280 (3GB or more VRAM)
6GB HDD space
Steam account
High speed internet connection"

I get the impression I'd be playing on lower settings or resolution, even if I spent 150-200 extra just to play it. And not sure if a 2GB card would do great on it, but it is a tempting idea.

Radeon 380 w/ 4GB of RAM is $200 before rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ3VF2887&cm_re=r9_380-_-14-202-166-_-Product

The 380 is at least as good as the 280 listed in the recommended specs.

The NVIDIA equivalent, the GTX 960 w/ 4GB of RAM, is also $200:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127929&cm_re=gtx_960_4gb-_-14-127-929-_-Product

If you can shell out the $200 for either the R9 380 or the GTX 960, then I think you will have a better experience (visually) than on either console, and a PC well equipped to play games on for a while to come.

Just my 2ยข :)

EDIT: Honestly, I don't know who the heck thought it was a good idea to tell people that a Core i7 3.4GHz is "recommended" and that a perfectly good Core i5 2500K is merely "minimum for 720P." I am 100% confident that the "min-spec" CPU paired with a solid GPU will play the game just fine.

Are they just trying to push people to buy the console version??

I appreciate the info, I'll definitely consider picking up a new card for DOOM.

(edit: For the record, I went ahead and bought a Geforce GTX 970 and will be rocking this on PC!)

Lol, Nvidia doesn't even have drivers out for Doom. Anyone who thinks alpha benchmarks are going to be close to the final version's benchmarks are fucking stupid. I also find it hard to believe that a single 980 TI, especially a Classified, can't run the game at 60 fps at 1080p. Nice shit posting OP.