Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

Pinchy said:

I already got that one. It's not listed in the OP though, DoomLover might want to update that :P

EDIT: TEXTURE TEST WITH GROSS SKY TRANSFER CHEATS

This is really a great idea. I'm being forced to use design techniques I wouldn't have thought of otherwise, and that I'm glad to have discovered.

AD_79 said:

I already got that one. It's not listed in the OP though, DoomLover might want to update that :P

http://i.imgur.com/XTZnkG0.png

I have no idea what to make of this. Reminds me of some of my early mapping which was overly colorful. "Red and green should never be seen without a color between" - try to keep that one in mind haha ;)

ArmouredBlood said:

Could be worse I guess
http://imgur.com/1cvvfz5

Please, please don't use Doorstop like that! D:

Pinchy said:

- ZELDOOR
- SP_DUDE1
- SP_DUDE5
- SFALL3
- any texture of choice since the door
- any texture of choice since you don't have a real texture, I suggest GSTONE1

- FLOOR7_2
- CONS1_7
- FLOOR1_7
- FWATER1

rdwpa said:

A couple Qs:

1) How many skies can we transfer?
2) When the OP says we can use any of the door and switch textures, that's one of each, right?

1) Maximum 2.
2) Only one door texture and only one switch texture is allowed; but you can use them as many times as you want.

Dragonfly said:

I have no idea what to make of this.

That's the idea ;)

AD_79 said:

How do you that? I have a half idea of the way you did it...

Spoiler

You used SFALL1 as upper and BFALL1 as lower in the sky transfer linedef for the above and below sky?

Also, more screenshots from my map:

You said that we can use new textures for skies, right?

walter confalonieri said:

Spoiler

You used SFALL1 as upper and BFALL1 as lower in the sky transfer linedef for the above and below sky?

I'll reveal my secrets when the map is done!

DoomLover234 said:

- CRACKLE2
- NUKE24
- SHAWN2
- BRICK6

- FLAT22
- RROCK09
- FLAT5_8
- SFLR7_1

God help me. Alright, let's see what I can make of this cluster-fuck. At least some of the flats match the textures. As most of my IRC pals will likely remember, I absolutely detest SHAWN2, having moaned about it on several occasions, and its abuse by tons of zDoom mappers. Damn it.

So here's an odd question: if we can use our selected switch/door as many times as we want, are we limited to using it only as a switch/door, or can we cheat and use it as a regular wall texture?

Working Title: Shaded

I had some underground/sewer options, so I decided to go with underhalls flooded with life-leeching skin. Although the pic doesn't give the best representation, darkness and the skin play a large role in the map. The dark makes it nearly impossible to see and requires players to find power switches in order to move around effectively. The skin, which damages at 20, provides an additional incentive, as you don't know where a patch of skin may be in the darkness.

By no means finished.

Megalyth said:

God help me. Alright, let's see what I can make of this cluster-fuck. At least some of the flats match the textures. As most of my IRC pals will likely remember, I absolutely detest SHAWN2, having moaned about it on several occasions, and its abuse by tons of zDoom mappers. Damn it.

So here's an odd question: if we can use our selected switch/door as many times as we want, are we limited to using it only as a switch/door, or can we cheat and use it as a regular wall texture?

Switches only for switches, but since some guys are using some parts of door textures to decorate, you may use doors for something other. But, you must use only a part of the texture, not the whole texture. For instance, BIGDOOR5's SUPPORT beams can be used. (already exploited by a couple of guys)

There, mostly finished. I still need a title and to ensure it's actually complevel 9. A few touch-ups with texture alignment in places would be good too. Also the lighting, which was mostly done cheaply. I now know all the ins-and-outs of BROWNPIP. Difficulty might be slightly tough for people not use to slogging around without the precious SSG.

Short map with under 30 monsters, SG/CG only. Ran out of steam so the red key room just became a teleport to an exit. I have to finish a 64x64 entry and this had an earlier deadline. (And other stuff.)

Also, RDWPA, that zzwolf texture use was good enough that I actually thought it was a custom texture for a split second.

I'm curious what the longest map will be. I feel like many of us are aiming to do something creative with the textures with little regard for longevity, looking to make a sub-100 monster map that's quick and fun to play. There's nothing wrong with that per se, it's just that the set might feel more like a speedmap collection.

Also, is the map list set in stone? I'm nearing the point where I can add monsters and I'd rather not make it too difficult for the MAP24 spot. If the list isn't permanent, I might just go wild and design it to be for MAP30.

dobu gabu maru said:

I'm curious what the longest map will be. I feel like many of us are aiming to do something creative with the textures with little regard for longevity, looking to make a sub-100 monster map that's quick and fun to play. There's nothing wrong with that per se, it's just that the set might feel more like a speedmap collection.

Without the choice of what four textures/flats we're given, it can be a bit strenuous to make a map that doesn't overstay its' welcome. There's also the time taken for some of the still-viable, but less palatable textures that have to be nursed into looking good.

Then again, I saw some really cool stuff out of 50 Shades of Graytall, but I'm relatively new to mapping. I'm already quite sick of FIRELAV2 and CRATINY

dobu gabu maru said:

Also, is the map list set in stone? I'm nearing the point where I can add monsters and I'd rather not make it too difficult for the MAP24 spot. If the list isn't permanent, I might just go wild and design it to be for MAP30.

You can make it as batshit-crazy and long as you like, your number is not your map slot, as explained elsewhere in the thread, it was simply your 'seed' for the random texture choice. :)

walter confalonieri said:

Spoiler

I think I know how :
He put the blood sky effect sector under the wooden curves, made a deep deep 'pit' in the center so you won't see the nukage sky below, And put a self-refrencing sector in the middle too so you won't fall into the pit, but just 'hover' over it.

No word about this custom palette then? Post seemed to be ignored ;w;

..motivation is a lil' low for me right now...hnnnnnggg

fwiw I don't think a custom palette is necessary in this instance, considering how the project is based on doing the most you can with a few stock resources.

Beta of my map: http://www.mediafire.com/download/thw7dm4bekobole/rdwpa_tr_b3.wad
-cl 9. (Link updated.)

Build time is, idk, probably around 20 hrs, I guess.

Sky is a semi-placeholder (looking for something with a non-garish red). Will probably try to add another secret if a natural idea comes to mind.

Difficulty: in the lower range of hard.

Dragonfly said:

RDWPA, That usage of ZZWolf2 is amazing!

Doom14 said:

Also, RDWPA, that zzwolf texture use was good enough that I actually thought it was a custom texture for a split second.

Thanks guys :)