Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Uncharted 4 Delayed to May 10th (Bad news for DOOM)

Bad news for DOOM's May 13th release date. It looks like that week will be overshadowed with Uncharted 4 hoopla.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/02/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-delayed-again

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End once again has a new release date. Sony and Naughty Dog have delayed Nathan Drake's next adventure two weeks to May 10, 2016.

So Uncharted 4 will release on the Tuesday of that week, while DOOM will release that Friday. The hype for DOOM is decent, but the hype for Uncharted 4 is pretty insane. Obviously Uncharted 4 is only releasing on PS4, but it will be the talk of the town regardless. I'm sure iD and Bethesda aren't pleased. This could mean DOOM might see a slight delay. Not likely, but possible.

Its bad for sales and hype I guess, not necessarily bad for the game.

You think DOOM's going to get delayed? No one in their right mind would release a game so closely to the new Uncharted, unless they want failing sales and little publicity.

It won't affect it too bad.
Uncharted is a PS4 exclusive, and while that's the platform with the most sales out of PC XBone and PS4, it still shouldn't do too much.
They aren't very similar games as well with different fan bases. If a new CoD or Battlefield was releasing within the same week, that would be bad news.

If Bethesda are truly worried about sales (they probably are) they better crank up the marketing to 11, make people get hyped as hell, start cooking with gas Bethesda!! Or they could just delay it ya know. I think the best option is to release a single player and/or snapmap demo to get people hyped up

They better not delay Doom! I took the day off from work for it!!!!

But like DooM_RO said, at least it IS a ps4 exclusive so it may not effect too much with Doom. Hope not anyway.

I don't understand how that's bad for doom

I've never played uncharted and I'm not going to play it any time soon, I just don't care about this game

who likes doom will buy and play it, I couldn't care less about what other games come out in may

What's being said here is that Uncharted 4 is a huge AAA game coming out 2 days before Doom is released. Could pose a small threat for maybe newcomers or sales on ps4 or whatever and could make the release date push back slightly. But it's doubtful. At least this is what I gather from this thread.

ChickenOrBeef said:

Bad news for DOOM's May 13th release date. It looks like that week will be overshadowed with Uncharted 4 hoopla.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/03/02/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-delayed-again

So Uncharted 4 will release on the Tuesday of that week, while DOOM will release that Friday. The hype for DOOM is decent, but the hype for Uncharted 4 is pretty insane. Obviously Uncharted 4 is only releasing on PS4, but it will be the talk of the town regardless. I'm sure iD and Bethesda aren't pleased. This could mean DOOM might see a slight delay. Not likely, but possible.

How exactly some childish casual nonsense BS called Uncharted may harm Doom release considering that Doom is completely different beast and primarily a PC franchise? Tell me please?

id.dav said:

How exactly some childish casual piece of shit called uncharted may harm Doom release considering that Doom is primarily a PC franchise? Tell me please?

Chill yourself, good lord. Just because you don't like the franchise doesn't mean you have to come out swinging with buzzwords at it. Also this DOOM game is obviously made for PS4 and XBO first and foremost rather than PC, so there's a strong potential of one-third of the game's system market being dominated by Uncharted during its release, which could be bad. Especially if the PC version doesn't turn out very good like how RAGE on PC was a mess at launch.

Original Doom blew everything out of the water due to the technology, the gameplay and the overall state of business in gaming, it all was a niche back then. No AAA-titles.

If we really are afraid of Doom 2016 going up against another - quite successfull - AAA-franchise on PS4, we shouldn't hold our hopes up for it becoming another well-selling franchise for Bethesda.

I am not worried for Doom going up against Uncharted, or going up against any other game. If it want's to be great, it has to be great, and then it will sell.

At the same time, give it enough marketing down until launch, and I don't think it will have a problam. When I look at sale numbers of Street Fighter 5 - a game where all most of fans are unsatisfied, but the legacy is stunning and the marketing was big - then I have no doubt Doom will sell. If it will be an absolutely great game, I am quite sure it will hold it's own against Uncharted 4.

If not...well...then maybe it didn't deserve it? Just a thought... (not that I think that will happen)

Like most have already pointed out, Hallways, QTEs & Cut Scenes Uncharted is a PS4 exclusive so it might hurt Doom sales on that console but unless any other overhyped AAA titles are coming out for multiplatform or XBO only I think it should do fine - granted yes, the XBO is losing this generation by 17.3 million units but the XB crowd appreciates a good shooter and the PC market is where the majority of Doom's fanbase is. Plus, everyone will be done with Uncharted in like, what, 6-10 hours? Other than trophy hunting and the MP (I missed the beta, don't know how it holds up) that game will be old news in a couple weeks. With the right hype and word of mouth combined with SnapMap, Doom should have a longer shelf life. Or I could be an idiot, I don't know. I just know which of those two games already has my money, and considering I never finished the first Uncharted you can take a gander as to which one.

EDIT: Also, lots of people buy everything that comes out and half of it just sits. I'm in the middle of 10-15 games at the moment and had to break myself of the habit of impulse purchases. So far it's working - almost got Bad Company again the other night, said no, you have too many games you don't play. Walked out with the 24 Hour Party People soundtrack instead.

id.dav said:

How exactly some childish casual nonsense BS called Uncharted may harm Doom release considering that Doom is completely different beast and primarily a PC franchise? Tell me please?

Because a decent chunk of gamers don't have the money to buy two big full priced games in the same week. Some of those people will choose Uncharted over Doom. How many is the question. I don't think it'll make a huge dent in sales but it'll certainly have some kind of effect.

I lioe Uncharted but i want this game to sell well, I don't wanna break Marty Stratton's heart since he's put his all into.this.

Different audience but yah it might effect sales a little bit. Just as much as a candy bar is competitive over a soda at a mini mart. This is assuming it is the same demographic.

Coke (Doom)
Pepsi
Root Beer
Juice/Water
Snacks (Uncharted 4)
Lottery Tickets

If one only has enough disposable income to buy one item, he can only choose one. There is some science behind it. However this does NOT account for pre-orders (and PS4 owners) which pretty much messes things up further.

I bet they lose less than 5k sales by it within the initial week/month. Most of the loss will be made up later especially if the game gets good reviews.

I dunno what Uncharted is, but I'm not expecting DOOM to be a super hot seller anyway. The series frankly seems underappreciated, I say that in reference to the tens of thousands of people who downvoted that DOOM youtube video a year back or whatever because "wtf this isn't fallout".

I'm sorry to rehash something I've said several times, but the "mostly positive but much quieter than other games" reactions to DOOM makes me think of Elvis rising from the dead and people are like "ya that's cool I guess". I shouldn't view it this way but my inner child is fucking floored that this isn't the most anticipated upcoming title, bar none - it's a Doom game for fuck's sake. A lot has changed over the decades, but still, the feeling is there.

(Please excuse the rant.)

The only problem i see is the press kissing uncharteds ass and not paying attention to doom. Even if uncharted bombs and its absolute shit it will still get a lot of press for it being a failure. Doom could beat them if it is a clearly superior game and everyone is eating it up.

It baffles me people don't know what Uncharted is.
Its one of the biggest game series of last gen and are really enjoyable games. The only caveat is they are playstation exclusive.

I'm not exactly mad, after all I know a lot of Playstation people looking forward to the new Doom. Can't say the same for Xbox people I know though. =P

Anyway, I think it's partly because Doom was the console first-person shooter.

Think about it.

The original Playstation (released in 1995) had Doom (which as you know contained both The Ultimate Doom and Doom II packed on a disc seamlessly, with Hodge's beautifully creepy soundtrack leading the way, and scary sound effects instilling fear into hearts of those who have not made the journey into the perilous depths of Hell itself.)

Then the Xbox in 2001 came along like "DERP DERP DERRRRP! Hey let's release a ripoff of Doom called Halo! Yeah! And reduce the weapon limit to two weapons! AND PUT REGENERATING SHIELDS AND HEALTH! YEEEEAH! =D"

What's my point?

The PS4 is closer to the PC in terms of specs compared to the Xbox One.

Furthermore, the PS4 is more sleekly designed, and on top of that, it's beating out the Xbox One EXTREMELY!

I'm not a Sony fanboy, but I would like to get a PS4 eventually.

Anyway, Doom came out for the PC in '93, and the PSX in '95.

I think the last time the Playstation people got a Doom game was BFG Edition back in 2012, and they ate it up!

Now, most PS people I know really want to play Doom (2016).

Can't say the same for Xbox people (no offense to anyone that likes Xbox or owns an Xbox. =P)

Bad news indeed. With Fallout 4 out of the picture I thought Doom was going to be the only large release in May. Totally forgot about Uncharted. They are completely different games, but many people will still choose Uncharted 4. It has five times the hype and the entire Playstation fanbase basically adores the franchise. I want Doom to be successful but I'd be surprised if it sold more than 3 million copies. That is still three times more than what RAGE sold though. I think ideally 4 million would make Bethesda and id happy. Might take a lot longer to reach that amount, if ever. Terrible release timing.