Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Dwango single player transformation community project (catchy name, eh?)

I know most of you are in community projects about grid limitations and texture limitations, etc.
But when I asked a few people about transforming Dwango5 maps into single player maps; most of them agreed to participate because it would be an interesting experience. So here I am.

!Rules!
-Must be vanilla compatible (no drawsegs overflows, nor visplanes overflows; so keep your maps simple and don't detail too much)
-Map must be based upon a dwango map.
-Map must use a dwango MIDI.
-No slaughterfests.
-Long maps are to be cut down on length. (should be beatable in 15 on first playthrough, I won't be too strict about this one, just keep this in mind, you could cut it down to the medium length if so)
-Don't copy paste ID software maps.
-Only stock doom 2 textures.
-Must have difficulty settings.
-Max monster count is 350.
-Don't make your map look ugly, I wouldn't mind some big flat maps like the one I did.
-Some of the original maps are so bare that you should just follow the texture theme and make an entire layout of your own imagination. (look at my mapping tip list of said maps about dwango5)

!What you can do!
-Expand the map you chose and follow the theme.
-Cut down useless bits from the original map.
-Play around with given layout.
-Give your map a name (otherwise I name it myself)

!Dwango5 Mapping tips!
MAP01 - Entryway remake, only there's more non-linearity, I don't think you need to expand it much, but you still can if you wish.

MAP02 - Claustrophobic base with lots of interactivity and some jumping.

MAP03 - 'The gauntlet' remake with more non-linearity and greater heights.

MAP04 - Curvy gray mine with burning barrels high up, this map's too bare, so you can make your own layout.

MAP05 - Small green mossy fortress with metal, wood and marble and severeal windows to look outside or in, the outdoor section is empty, fill it up with some rivers, height and other castles with the same pattern as the first one.

MAP06 - Mash base, bricks, metal, wood, teleporters and great heights

MAP07 - Abandoned dead simple map where the mancubuses and the arachnotrons are already dead and everything's open, you can escape the dead simple rip-off straight away, and get into a different non-symmetric arena with the same theme (but not layout) and kill the bosses to reveal the exit.

MAP08 - Full liberty on the layout with this one, only limitation is to use only green and brown textures.

MAP09 - Brown towers and walls, make the tunnels lead to different areas.

MAP10 - Yet another map with no layout, but it's got a theme to it, it looks like a science lab, but you can look at it with a different perspective and make it an electricity house or something else, just tell me.

MAP11 - Rocky map with catwalks, caves and nukage falls. You have full liberty on the brick area. You also have lots of hidden way to get around the maps.

MAP12 - Sandboxy wild west map, you may replace the surrounding marble walls with something else.

MAP13 - Varied brown map, there's a building with lots of entrances and an open curvy outdoor area, the exit should be in a switch puzzle.

MAP14 - Brick-wood-metal-rock with pillars, staircases and nice light effects

MAP15 - All marble map, you have liberty to make your own layout, just make sure it focuses on buildings connected by bridges, teleports and some pools of your liquid of choice.

MAP31 - Remake 5 greenwar 1 maps into one map.

MAP32- There won't be MAP32.

MAP16 - Tech base with blue room, metal room, drainage, ruins nearby and a cave, this is basically a mix of themes.

MAP17 - Gray-brown tech base, kinda looks like quake.

MAP18 - Big boss, curvy arena colored brown and blue.

MAP19 - Ruins with a hint of metal and fire.

MAP20 - Curvy cave with water and dirt. Many windows and pillars.

MAP21 - Gray base invaded by red and brown hell.

MAP22 - Twisted remake of MAP01, should be expanded somewhat.

MAP23 - Buried industy zone with hints of red hell.

MAP24 - A more buried tech base besides a river.

Here's a map I made so you can see the idea behind this project:

Name : Bricks and broken bones
MIDI : MAP03 from Dwango10
Original map from : Dwango5 MAP09
Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?pdwmd5v8xxl3qzl

Maps:
1 - Joe-ilya - Bricks and broken bones - Dwango5 MAP09
2 - 40oz - Dwango5 MAP03
3 - Megalyth - Dwango5 MAP12

joe-ilya said:

-Don't make your map look bad.

*looks at the screenshot posted*

"Make me my dream shitwad i cooked up in 5 minutes while playing a dwango5 server by myself so I don't have to"

I think it's time to let dwango die in peace. It wasn't good then, it isn't good now, and will never be good.

joe-ilya said:

It took me several days to make this map.

Those several days were not well spent.

In all seriousness, there are a great deal of people who spend weeks, months even, on making maps and more often than not they turn out to be quite good: here's an example! I'm not saying it isn't possible to make a good map in a few days, but considering your....err, technique, it might be a good idea to take your time and make sure every possible facet of the map is polished.

Decay said:

I think it's time to let dwango die in peace. It wasn't good then, it isn't good now, and will never be good.

Actually it was good then, it is good now, and it will be good forever

Obsidian said:

Those several days were not well spent.

In all seriousness, there are a great deal of people who spend weeks, months even, on making maps and more often than not they turn out to be quite good: here's an example! I'm not saying it isn't possible to make a good map in a few days, but considering your....err, technique, it might be a good idea to take your time and make sure every possible facet of the map is polished.

I can't add too much detail, this is for vanilla. I could cramp the space down so it won't look too flat, I even ended up getting rid of detail because of how open my map is.

AD_79 said:

good lord there's enough bloody projects already

But are there enough original community projects? Seriously, most of the community projects this year are just limitations of textures, grids, 2 unneccesery TNT sequels and speedmapping.

If people enjoy remaking doom 2 maps, my maps, why not enjoy transforming a classic deathmatch megawad into a traditional vanilla doom2 mapset for single player?

joe-ilya said:

But are there enough original community projects?

...What the fuck did you just say? How can you materialize that sentence without imploding?

Hear, hear.

REMAKING DWANGO 5 IS ORIGINAL.

It's more original than what's been done already with community projects nowadays. Sorry if I'm incorrect in advance.

When was the last time you saw somebody remaking any deathmatch map into a single player map?

Hi Joe-Ilya, I am very interested in your project, however I am a musician and not a mapper henceforth I would like to remix the entire Dwango5 soundtrack for your project.

I highly await your response :)

joe-ilya said:

I can't add too much detail, this is for vanilla. I could cramp the space down so it won't look too flat, I even ended up getting rid of detail because of how open my map is.

That's no excuse. And besides, I wasn't just talking about detailing anyway.

Yeah the whole "there's no good Dwango maps" thing is a NS urban myth, the ratio is kinda low but we're talking about 1995 maps after all. About ~70 of the 352 original Dwango maps are stellar, frankly speaking. The rest are trash, but 70 is not "none".

I actually like this idea and would be all over map02 if I had any spare time, though it would be nice to re-theme the maps as they're overly familiar at this point.

I actually had an idea for the community to select the 30 best Dwango maps and bring them into the new era (custom textures, detailing, better spawn/weapon placement etc) but again I just haven't got the time. Could make for a great Dwango22.

doctorno said:

Hi Joe-Ilya, I am very interested in your project, however I am a musician and not a mapper henceforth I would like to remix the entire Dwango5 soundtrack for your project.

Looking forward to your remix of d5m14!

Anyways, dwango5 is terribly antiquated. I won't say bad, because I quite like some of the maps... in DM. Converting DM maps to SP is a pretty big deal in general (hence why no one does it) and it'd be even more of an issue with the many shit maps of dwango5. Not to mention the simplistic arenas.

There's also the fact that joe prohibits IWAD rips while dwango5 gleefully copypastes from them. Also no large maps? Can't go over 300 monsters? Way to shoot yourself in the knee. Sure, it would be cool to have an easyish, TVR-style mapset, but that's not going to happen when you have to work with all of this non-linear, non-blocking, progressionless obsolete stuff and refuse to grow the maps enough to make a difference.

This is just Joe Ilya Tune-up 2: This Time You're Remaking My Favourite DM Mapset, a huge vanity affair by joe. How can this be called original when the entire idea is derivative with just a small twist?

Doomkid said:

Yeah the whole "there's no good Dwango maps" thing is a NS urban myth, the ratio is kinda low but we're talking about 1995 maps after all. About ~70 of the 352 original Dwango maps are stellar, frankly speaking. The rest are trash, but 70 is not "none".

I actually like this idea and would be all over map02 if I had any spare time, though it would be nice to re-theme the maps as they're overly familiar at this point.

I actually had an idea for the community to select the 30 best Dwango maps and bring them into the new era (custom textures, detailing, better spawn/weapon placement etc) but again I just haven't got the time. Could make for a great Dwango22.

Dwango maplist
Remind me again how many of these maps are played by anybody other than d5m1 (not a dwango original), d5m7 (also not a dwango original), d6m1 (oh my, a dwango original, last i saw played occasionally on odamex but that doesn't make it good), or d6m11 (tnt map01, played by nobody). But dwango in general surely has good MANY good maps well remembered for exciting matches and memorable gameplay with unique and inspiring layouts! Definitely a myth that these maps suck, and definitely the myth is ALL maps suck, damn those filthy NS perpetrators.

Rofl what a ridiculous exaggeration, there are plenty of great DM maps that are underplayed, Dwango and non-Dwango. "People overplay 3 Dwango maps, therefore they're the only good ones!" .. Impeccable logic

To deny that a bunch of NS players constantly bag on Dwango maps is to lie. You can have your opinion but don't hide from it when confronted about it!

Edit: it's not just NS players, honestly saying that was dumb on my part so forgive me.

Edit2: Naturally I have a bit of a vested interest here as I worked quite hard on Dwango20 and especially 21, so I can't just let the "all Dwango is bad" thing go without mentioning that there's quite a few good maps amongst the series.

Shit like this makes me wanna quit doom forever. (and I'm NOT talking about the project idea)

Doomkid said:

Rofl what a ridiculous exaggeration, there are plenty of great DM maps that are underplayed, Dwango and non-Dwango. "People overplay 3 Dwango maps, therefore they're the only good ones!" .. Impeccable logic

To deny that a bunch of NS players constantly bag on Dwango maps is to lie. You can have your opinion but don't hide from it when confronted about it!

Edit: it's not just NS players, honestly saying that was dumb on my part so forgive me.

Edit2: Naturally I have a bit of a vested interest here as I worked quite hard on Dwango20 and especially 21, so I can't just let the "all Dwango is bad" thing go without mentioning that there's quite a few good maps amongst the series.

*Smiles fatly*

All is forgiven my friend, worry not.

Decay said:

NS Doom Normie, DWANGO will never die!! GET OFF THIS BOARD!!! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Spoiler

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'll have you know that there are plenty of people who still play the DWANGO wads.

Since we're on the topic, once I'm home from work I'll put up that full list of actually decent Dwango maps, if someone wants to take the reigns on that Dwango22 idea I welcome you to. It would be interesting to see the good maps brought into the modern era and would likely have appeal to a wider selection of Doomers.

dew said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOuN5TA8XfY

Looking forward to your remix of d5m14!

Anyways, dwango5 is terribly antiquated. I won't say bad, because I quite like some of the maps... in DM. Converting DM maps to SP is a pretty big deal in general (hence why no one does it) and it'd be even more of an issue with the many shit maps of dwango5. Not to mention the simplistic arenas.

There's also the fact that joe prohibits IWAD rips while dwango5 gleefully copypastes from them. Also no large maps? Can't go over 300 monsters? Way to shoot yourself in the knee. Sure, it would be cool to have an easyish, TVR-style mapset, but that's not going to happen when you have to work with all of this non-linear, non-blocking, progressionless obsolete stuff and refuse to grow the maps enough to make a difference.

Did you even read the rules?

-Don't copy paste ID software maps. (but you can make the maps from scratch)
-Some of the original maps are so bare that you should just follow the texture theme and make an entire layout of your own imagination. (look at my mapping tip list of said maps)

And have a map be beatable in 15 minutes isn't short, it's medium sized.

Just wondering and can not find it in the previous threads for the life of me. Did not know where else to ask. Is there not already a "Turn 1994 DM maps into Sp maps, and tune them up" thread? If so I am interested in that one.

addmap map01 doom2 dwango5.wad
addmap map02
addmap map05
addmap map07
addmap map11 (good only for music / atmosphere, loved this as a kid but it's terrible in DM)
addmap map12
addmap map13
addmap map14 (symmetrical but idgaf, it's fun dammit)
addmap map19
addmap map24
addmap map01 doom2 dwango6.wad
addmap map03
addmap map04
addmap map05
addmap map12
addmap map15
addmap map23
addmap map01 doom2 dwango7.wad
addmap map02
addmap map06
addmap map09
addmap map02 doom2 dwango8.wad dmptch.wad (this is more of a duel wad, honestly)
addmap map03
addmap map07
addmap map08
addmap map09
addmap map20

(wtf how did EVERY doomer lose their copy of dwango9, I have credible sources telling me it did indeed exist at one time.. Strange stuff)

addmap map03 doom2 dwango10.wad
addmap map09
addmap map10
addmap map14
addmap map15
addmap map16
addmap map05 doom2 dwango11.wad
addmap map10
addmap map12
addmap map19
addmap map25
addmap map02 doom2 dwango12.wad (what did they do to poor doomguy's face??)
addmap map05
addmap map07
addmap map12 (this map is way better than d5m1 with item respawn off idgaf what anyone says)
addmap map21
addmap map22 doom2 lbdwango.wad
addmap map01 doom2 dcdwango.wad
addmap map05
addmap map06
addmap map09
addmap map10
addmap map14
addmap map15
addmap map05 doom2 azdwango.wad
addmap map16
addmap map08 doom2 ozwango.wad
addmap map13

I use a wad called dmptch.wad to revert the sound effects and graphics back to vanilla as some of them have annoying replacements, but yeah, there's the -in my opinion - good Dwango maps.

johnnyledger1 said:

Just wondering and can not find it in the previous threads for the life of me. Did not know where else to ask. Is there not already a "Turn 1994 DM maps into Sp maps, and tune them up" thread? If so I am interested in that one.

This is the first project to do so, but there was a project where people remade random single player maps from 1994, it's called 1994 tune-up.

I'll make the project focus on the whole official dwango series instead of just the fifth installment.