Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sleazypengun

Wolf3d emulators

I wish I could play the standalone Castle Totenkopf on ECWolf, I just can't stand its limited tiny resolutions.

Avoozl said:

I wish I could play the standalone Castle Totenkopf on ECWolf, I just can't stand its limited tiny resolutions.

You can set resolutions up to 1080p on Wolf4SDL.

Sodaholic said:

Try ECWolf.

Yep.

Avoozl said:

run the SDL version with the --resf parameter. e.g.:
wolf4sdl.exe --resf 1280 720

GoatLord said:

What's the dif between a source port and a launcher?

You've been on this forum for 14 years, I'm surprised you didn't know already.

Regardless, a launcher is a frontend program meant to make launching the game easier by providing a GUI in place of the command line parameters. I'm sure you know what a source port is.

Cacockcansukmycok said:

newwolf is better.

Yeah, I love it when each and every episode can't be completed because none of the endgame triggers work. The mark of excellence in port development, breaking the bloody game.

BaronOfStuff said:

Yeah, I love it when each and every episode can't be completed because none of the endgame triggers work. The mark of excellence in port development, breaking the bloody game.

Boy was I not pleased when I found that out.

They are very different. ECWolf is the best way to play the original game if you want faithful gameplay. Although I remember the screen tearing was unmanageable for me last time I tried.

But Wolf3dge has doom-like movement, weapon sway and sprites, sounds and textures from the Mac ports and other Wolf3D mods, ambient sounds, better soundtrack and so on. It also has all the episodes included lol.

EDIT: It also has spiffy visual FX like dynamic lighting, bullet puffs etc :D

VGA said:

They are very different. ECWolf is the best way to play the original game if you want faithful gameplay. Although I remember the screen tearing was unmanageable for me last time I tried.

But Wolf3dge has doom-like movement, weapon sway and sprites, sounds and textures from the Mac ports and other Wolf3D mods, ambient sounds, better soundtrack and so on. It also has all the episodes included lol.

Honestly, I just downloaded this mod to see what's it all about and honestly, I can't stand 3DGE no matter how much I try (or how much CeeJay for some reason likes to mod for it). I have no problem with Zdoom, or ECWolf, or DirectQ or DarkPlaces or KMQuake II or a lot of other ports, yet I encounter a lot of problems with 3DGE (terrible mouse control being my worst gripe with it). And this mod doesn't really add much to justify switching over ECwolf.

J.B.R said:

No thank you, i like my Wolf3D with hires sprites and sounds, so ECWolf is the way to go, thanks to Blzut3 for putting strafe left and right, makes playing Wolf3d much better.
And by hires sprites and sounds i mean this:http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=48633
Try it, it's worth the download.

Have you tried the mod I linked? I'm biased because I'm the creator but I think it's a very good complement to CeeJay's ECWolf addon.

VGA said:

Wolf3dge has doom-like movement, weapon sway and sprites, sounds and textures from the Mac ports and other Wolf3D mods, ambient sounds, better soundtrack and so on. It also has all the episodes included lol.

I tried this mod once but for some reason I kept running out of ammo really quickly, and something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Cyanosis said:

I tried this mod once but for some reason I kept running out of ammo really quickly, and something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm not having ammo problems, in fact it allows you to carry a lot of ammo(199). You have to be careful in Wolf3D and immediately stop firing when the enemy dies, especially when using the chaingun. Playing with the mouse also helps a lot!

Maybe you got the chaingun early on and wasted too much ammo?

Anyway, it's all personal preference really. I personally cannot play the original Wolf3D with that clunky movement and idiotic door sound effects :D

LkMax said:

Have you tried the mod I linked? I'm biased because I'm the creator but I think it's a very good complement to CeeJay's ECWolf addon.

Oh i didn't know you were the creator of that, but yeah i tried it and i prefer it over CeeJay's ECWolf addon, it has a much better Mp40 sprite, no offense to Ceejay's addon, but yeah both are good.