Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arctangent

Access - Single Map

MAP01, should be vanilla compatible unless I mucked up my PrBoom compatlevels when testing.

Pretty dang short map, inspired by me remembering that a lot of classic Doom levels that I like and really stick to me are basically only three or four rooms in size. So here's a map that's three ( or four or five, depending on how you count them ) rooms in size. Difficulty levels, UV is pretty dang brutal to me.

Pretty lucky to make it past the start when I ran out of ammo. Quite easy after that, however, maybe because the big clusterfuck that was supposed to happen didn't (?) -- monsters just got clumped up at the gates.

-cl2 FDA

walter confalonieri said:

i hope you like to see people die a lot in the map's beginning (cl 2). Nice short map and nice E4M9 (Fear) remake, works fine also on chocorenderlimits (is the port that is more near to the vanilla doom engine...), maybe too hard for me since i'm not a huge slaughtermaps player...

Slaughtermap is a stretch imo. It's 143 total monsters and almost all of them are imps/zombies. :) The start is indeed tricky, I replayed it and died a couple of times (trying not to run out of ammo this time). But running into the door quickly leads to lots of chaingunners. Trick is getting rid of just some of the chaingunners in the windows before running into the door.

Huh, yeah, looks like I put the triggers for opening the blue gate and the stairs on the wrong side of the door. Didn't want them to trigger too early, but looks like as they are now they can be triggered while setting off everything in that part of the map. Whoops.

I was kind of amused at the fact that you avoided the teleporters entirely, on another note.

FDA, no success (Chocolate Doom terminated my last attempt prematurely, due to whatever bug or limitation), but I enjoyed trying to progress without making mistakes in the map, it was unfair and yet fair, it seemed like it could have been accustomized to. I thought the SPC doors would be better openable by the monsters than not, but maybe I'm wrong. Good map.

Yeesh, I might just have to make the SPC doors unclosing doors and change the blue gate and the stairs to a door instead of a floor.

As for why the SPC doors can't be opened by monsters, that's because the zombies behind the blue gate could easily open them, causing sound to leak through them prematurely and setting off the stuff behind the doors at random. It was kind of silly.

Fun little map, harsh start without an easily obtainable weapon. I decided to usually go for that chaingunner and armor. Also had an attempt in this demo that was ruined by the all-ghosts bug. Fun stuff.

FDA

FDA UV clvl 2

Many attempts. Got close enough to the exit to be satisfied :P

As you can see, I end up feeling like my best strat is to just run for it. I enjoy that sometimes. :D

scifista42 said:

(Chocolate Doom terminated my last attempt prematurely, due to whatever bug or limitation)

Sounds like you didn't use -maxdemo.