Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza [COMMUNITY PROJECT] (CANCELLED - Check last post)

very cool map rdwpa, i liked the zzwolf2 texture usage!

I don't found any kind of problem... over that is pretty difficult to me! But because i'm not the kind of slaughtermaps person...

And finished!

Super deadly download hyperlink.

I did a run with Complevel 9. Only difference is the zero-brightness walls show up in the ending teleport room.

It's shorter than I intended, but complete. I couldn't really do anything too snazzy with the textures provided other than manipulate BROWNPIP into as many permutations as possible. As such, 12 monsters, 3 secrets, coop and DM (why) starts/item spawns. Even added difficulty levels. I kinda wanted to make a CRATINY nightmare theme'd level, but I lacked inspiration and textures.

It's good as a sub-10 map max, honestly. As the monsters may be big (Rev, Knights, Caco), but the difficulty isn't that high. Weapons provided are SG and CG (questionably needed), and RL (secret). Blue armor and soulspheres are also secrets to match the blue. Blue armor might be overkill, though. Ammo provided is right about at the balance needed for completion without secrets on UV - you'll walk away with some bonus bullets or shells depending which guns you use.

Midi version of Damned, by Overkill, included.

Also tried your map, RDWPA. It was good fun, but if I had to give aimless opinions based on how I played it, the only issues I had were: low ammo count outside if you avoid going inside (which would likely be totally mediated by someone coming into the level with ammo/guns), the crushers coming down too late inside which made me get slapped by a wall of homing Revenant rockets without good places to lose them, and how hard it is to dislodge the archvile on the taller island if you make the mistake of running away from it.

rdwpa said:

Got stuck in the underground demon area when I went back to secrethunt because the crateswitch (nice usage) is once-only.

oh pfff, sorry, use to S1 due to all the W1s, fixed.

Doom14 said:

And finished!
http://i.imgur.com/WqPZFPz.png
(LINK REMOVED) - I need to tweak a few things after watching RDWPA's replay. The maze fight is too easy to snipe in particular, and maybe that rocket secret was too cruel. (You also took the longest possible route to the megasphere! :P)

If you're in wholescale tweaking mode, some notes:

1) Would recommend making the stuff at the start pop up faster. Taking infinite tall damage from things always feels unnatural.

2) Hmmm, aesthetically, I really loved the abstract end room, and the hexagonal motifs. I know the map is already almost done, but I would have loved to see slightly more of those things throughout. Maybe even the overall layout being a network of hexagon-based rooms (shapes of individual rooms being a combination of large hexagons and smaller ones, or just a number of same-sized hexagons). (Anyway, it's an idea you could use for a future map, I guess.)

3) Last baron fight could be something a bit more dynamic (e.g. a manc).

4) I was expecting a monster to have silently warped into the maze.

Did a little procrastination playtesting:

rdwpa: Faaaabulous map here. Gonna reveal my hand a little and say that we both have similar starting points (big circle area shrouded primarily in darkness) though I love what you did with the theme. As others have stated the wolfenstein texture gimmick is brilliant, and I really enjoy the cohesive feel of this spacey shrine (I actually think you should keep the sky, as the grayscale atmosphere fits well with the map). Difficulty-wise it's not too shabby—the best part of the map is taking cover and seeing a stream of projectiles whiz past your head—and I didn't have any gameplay problems that irked me. Thought the AV uses were cool (I knew what was coming as soon as the pillars came down) and agree with the choice to restock the area full of baddies after the central chamber battle. Only actual issue I had was that I couldn't get out of that damn pit to the south (playing Zdoom 2.5.0) and that one of the ZZWOLF walls there was "misaligned". Oh, and the flat for the steps to the plasma gun tower should probably be changed :P

walter: Hmmm some potential here, but it's kinda all over the place. The aspect I like the most is that you try and split your textures between two distinct areas, which is neat. Couple of major problems though... first off, that damaging sky should really just be 10%, since it's basically mandatory to run through and the player may not even know it hurts when they first test the level. Also there's a section where you use scrolling flesh as a damaging floor, and despite how cool that looks, that should also just be the sky, because they know that to be the damaging sector. Speaking of, it was literally impossible for me to beat the map because I had 9% health at that section, meaning I couldn't cross a mandatory damaging sector. Always always always give the player health packs if they need to cross a damaging floor. Besides that, I'd remove the mancubus that's in the red key area, and add a little more verticality to the first section (the outdoors one), since it's all flat as a board.

Dragonfly: This is actually the first map I've played by you! This one was pretty fun—the visuals here are superb, thanks to a mix of good texture selection and solid lighting. The cramped style definitely suits my tastes and I thought the map had some neat quirks to it, like the GR switch at the top of the lift. Only thing I'd suggest changing is to make the three pinkies in the tunnel past the berserk into a rev, as they literally pose no threat whatsoever. Other than that, it's a homely little map.

joe: There needs to be more health on this map. I dropped into that pit with the three chaingunners and only had 4% health, so I was not having a fun time with them. Other than that, it's a decent map—the ammo starvation made for some interesting encounters where Lost Souls were actually scary. I recommend putting the "EXIT" sector before the green door, as I didn't even see it when I ran into the exit. And I feel that the way out of that pit near the end should just be a regular SR lift, instead of needing to walk over the WR line. And lastly, I think you should have the floating light gratings in the sky blink or something, because they look a bit dull/odd just being completely dark.

Cool, thanks. Did the lift (squatted on by a manc during the fight) fail to rise, or was it not obvious that it was a lift? (I guess I could have the platform start automatically rising and lowering via a voodoo doll loop at that point of the fight, if it's not clear that it's a lift.)

Thanks dobu, i'll fix my map from the bugs you found... Also, I don't get the vertical thingy I had to put in my opening section...

rdwpa, how you can't dl from mediafire? That'sounds odd...

dobu gabu maru said:

Dragonfly: This is actually the first map I've played by you! This one was pretty fun—the visuals here are superb, thanks to a mix of good texture selection and solid lighting. The cramped style definitely suits my tastes and I thought the map had some neat quirks to it, like the GR switch at the top of the lift. Only thing I'd suggest changing is to make the three pinkies in the tunnel past the berserk into a rev, as they literally pose no threat whatsoever. Other than that, it's a homely little map.

I appreciate the feedback. If you liked this map I'd check out some of my other works, perhaps Skulldash. This map is very small and restricted in my opinion. :)

I'll check out everyone elses map when (if) a beta build is ready and feedback accordingly!

Updated the map after watching RDWPA's demo. First time I ever watched a demo, it's always fun to see how different people play. Hopefully I've adjusted it to be dick to everything you did during every encounter from the maze on. Had to add more health and ammo. No new weapons. One new, obvious, secret for certain people who like to wall run around my entire decoration rather than walking on the maze walls. Last fight got a bonus friend so it's less mano'e'mano, which I've forgotten how easy those are.

I'm kinda too burnt out to add more geometry, so I'd say it's up to Doomlover now if he wants to tweak it in any way.

New Link (Which was also updated in the above post.)

I like the changes. One minor tweak that shouldn't be too effortsome is putting a chaingunner or something (even a couple of imps) adjacent to the little subterranean hole to greet the player if s/he decides to try to escape the close-range scuffle prematurely, just to keep the adrenaline flowing.

No-secret demo (wanted to see the balance w/o the free soulsphere and stuff).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xl2cvy3zodq56g/texextraD14_rdwpa_rec.lmp?dl=1

dobu gabu maru said:

Yeah it failed to rise.

Hmm, that's interesting. I tested it on ZDoom 2.71 last night and it rises there too. I'm not sure what is happening. The voodoo dolls' floor scroll action (253) is on a linedef with a multiple of 32, so the timing should be fine.

According to the OP #18 is still open, so I'd like to take that slot. This project sounds really cool and most of the maps so far look gorgeous.

Pookaball said:

I'm up for the challenge, but I fear I won't have enough time. Still, is number 18 open?

Solarn said:

According to the OP #18 is still open, so I'd like to take that slot. This project sounds really cool and most of the maps so far look gorgeous.

Can I just say I claimed it earlier?

EDIT: Thanks for your understanding, Solarn.

rdwpa said:

Hmm, that's interesting. I tested it on ZDoom 2.71 last night and it rises there too. I'm not sure what is happening. The voodoo dolls' floor scroll action (253) is on a linedef with a multiple of 32, so the timing should be fine.

I tried it two more times in Zdoom and figured it out: if the player activates the lift before it starts to rise, it won't rise at all. Must've been an unfortunate accident in my experience... maybe you'll have to teleport the voodoo doll over the line multiple times to account for it.

@Pookaball

- ZZZFACE1
- SP_DUDE5
- SP_DUDE1
- STONE7
- any texture of choice since these are shitty
- door, trak, switch, blahblah

- FLAT9
- FLAT2
- FLOOR0_5
- NUKAGE1

@Solarn

- ZZWOLF10
- BRONZE2
- CRATE2
- SP_DUDE2

- SLIME09
- FLOOR0_3
- FLAT17
- RROCK04

@Ven

- BRICK6
- CRATE1
- LITE3
- BRICK5

- SLIME05
- SFLR7_1
- SLIME09
- TLITE6_5

I'd like everybody who hasn't named their map, but submitted it, to name it. Joe-ilya, Dragonfly, rdwpa and Doom14.

DoomLover234 said:

@Solarn

- ZZWOLF10
- BRONZE2
- CRATE2
- SP_DUDE2

- SLIME09
- FLOOR0_3
- FLAT17
- RROCK04

So if I understand the rules correctly, I've got those plus any one door texture (or are we counting ZZWOLF10 as a door despite it not fitting the way Doom doors work?), any one switch texture (only as a switch), F_SKY1 and either DOORTRAK or DOORSTOP to use? It's gonna be difficult, but I think I can work with that.

ZZWOLF10 is a door texture, but since it is specified you may use another texture of your choice.

DoomLover234 said:

ZZWOLF10 is a door texture, but since it is specified you may use another texture of your choice.

Alright, I'm gonna be crazy and say CEMENT9, SW1PIPE for the switch and DOORSTOP.

Pookaball said:

We can have one extra texture, but is an extra flat allowed?

Only if the flats are shit.