Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechazawa

Remote Desktop Software?

Is there any decent remote desktop software that -doesn't- go over the net? I like to control several computers on my network remotely. Currently, I do it via steam using wordpad. You can stream wordpad from another pc, and the help button gives you access to the desktop. But, it is so very shitty with the latency. The mouse jumps all over and it doesn't update that well. It used to be smooth but steam is steam...

Anyways, any suggestions? The PC's are windows 7 and 8.

How is controlling them via steam not going over the net?

Anyway, windows has built in capability for rdp

I think he's simply requesting something that doesn't go over the Internet for LAN computers.

Yes, use RDP. It's superior to VNC in every way.

Looks like my version of Win 7 doesn't support RDP... isn't that dandy. I can connect but I cannot receive connections, the options simply don't exist.

Well, that is just shitty. How can something that should have been simple in 1995, still be so difficult in 2016?

I will look into this VNC stuff.

Edit: Heh, turns out google chrome has a simple addon that seems to work perfectly. One step closer to full google-borg assimilation. Resistance is futile.

Mechazawa said:

Well, that is just shitty. How can something that should have been simple in 1995, still be so difficult in 2016?

Maybe because it isn't that 'simple'?

If you want to remote-control another computer while getting some visual feedback you have 2 options to do it:

1. implement a fully specified remote protocol that only sends drawing commands to the controlling system. Needless to say, that'd need perfect compliance on both sides - and still some rather large chunks of data to be transferred on occasion.

2. Send the entire framebuffer of the desktop screen. That seems to be the common method here, and most of the advancements in bandwitdth get eaten up by the framebuffer getting ever larger.

The software I am using for this purpose is Teamviewer, but don't expect this to work without some significant performance loss.

I didn't think TeamViewer worked over a lan?

Also what are the chances of ssh working for this? I don't know much about it on Windows other than it being "awkward".

So far google chrome is working well enough, it conects instantly, the latency is so low i could probably stream some games, though I don't plan on it. I mostly use this to change the video youtube is playing while im on my laptop, lol...

flubbernugget said:

I didn't think TeamViewer worked over a lan?

Also what are the chances of ssh working for this? I don't know much about it on Windows other than it being "awkward".

SSH on Windows works fine if you install Cygwin or even just use PuTTY. I can even get XWin port forwarding working through Cygwin. The only thing I've had problems with are getting private keys working.