Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

Ghostbusters New Movie Trailer

There's something about this movie that completely puts me off, and it's not that the main characters are female this time.

But whenever I see new pictures something inside me cringes - and I'm not even such a big fan of the original...

Neutrino said:

Problem is that it is you guys, not him, that latched to that idea. I think that your loud reactions to a mere mention that dislike (or part of dislike) for this trailer might be related to movie'a female cast (and the way certain portion of the internet reacted to similar things in the past) is quite telling.

Telling what? The only thing it tells is that people are sick and tired of hearing people complain about how everything ever is racist/sexist and then hearing people complain about the people complaining. Just fucking drop this shit already.

Neutrino said:

What is a point of a comment like that one?

Here, I can read into shit to find things that aren't really there, too.

I have more new amazing ideas for new amazing movies.

Let's reboot 007 and replace James Bond with a lesbian character who goes around sleeping with other lesbians while killing the bad guys. Let's also reboot Kill Bill and replace Beatrix Kiddo with Bill's ex-boyfriend, so if people don't like these type reboots they can also be called homophobic.

Bucket said:

What was your favorite subtle scene? The part where Murray (playing a womanizer, who makes every comment vaguely sexual, WHAT A STRETCH FOR HIM) electrocutes a guy to get with a girl? What about the little nerdy neighbor who is nerdy which is funny so let's laugh at him? Or the black guy who acts like how Hollywood thinks black guys act? What about the 500 foot tall marshmallow man? Maybe the ghost blowjob scene?

Don't get me wrong, I found Ghostbusters to be highly entertaining... when my age was single digits. Let's not get carried away.

Did we watch the same film? Look at the new trailer. They are revealing the new characters and they say something like, "Holtzman, you're the best engineer in the world and you're the best particle physicist in the world." Ugh, show not tell! At no point in the original did anyone say "Spengler, you're the smartest engineer ever, and Venkman, you know business!" We knew who these people were without being told; duh Egon was the genius and Venkman was a skeezball just from their dialog and interactions. That's subtlety. Ramis was an exceptional screenwriter and it shows.

Stuff like the ghost blowjob is implied. It's not that the old films didn't have physical comedy... but it wasn't ham-handed. Nobody afterwards says "I got a ghostjob." When the kid is electrocuted, the implication is that Venkman's test WORKED but he didn't give a shit because he wanted to get laid.... and nobody in the film directly mentions it, it's up to the viewer to see.

There are tons of nonverbal comedy or implied jokes that I was still picking up years later. After they bust slimer, Egon is signaling with his fingers how much to charge... the implication of Dana having slept with Louis (The keymaster... who always gets locked out of his apartment). And I guess I'd just disagree that Ernie Hudson's character felt stereotyped; 30 years ago he didn't need to shout "Aw hells naw" with a diamond necklace with his name on it being excited about a Cadillac. The token black character ha somehow become even MORE offensive in the new film.

Yeah yeah, I'm sure I'm probably one of the biggest cheerleaders of Ghostbusters on this board... but I don't think I'm wrong. Ghostbusters really WAS as good as you remember; the script, dialog, and characters were very well done in the film.

Scuba Steve said:

Ghostbusters really WAS as good as you remember; the script, dialog, and characters were very well done in the film.

Arctangent said:

Yeah, it really does sound like it's just sexism that nobody wants to admit.

Although at least it's not unambiguously sexism. Could also just be rose-tinted lenses fused directly with the skull.

If anything, the movie itself is a dumb sexist thing where they just inverted genders and called it a day, because fuck actually having original or even interesting ideas. Every joke shown in the trailer is incredibly dumb, on par with Wayans parodies. It's classless and it's incredibly lazy and surprisingly people have caught onto it, but somehow you declare that we're all sexist and this piece of shit gets what it deserves because it is possibly some memento of womanhood on the rise in the face of toxic masculinity in the western civilization and the patriarchy is shaking in its boots. Are you trolling?

dew said:

If anything, the movie itself is a dumb sexist thing where they just inverted genders and called it a day, because fuck actually having original or even interesting ideas. Every joke shown in the trailer is incredibly dumb, on par with Wayans parodies. It's classless and it's incredibly lazy and surprisingly people have caught onto it, but somehow you declare that we're all sexist and this piece of shit gets what it deserves because it is possibly some memento of womanhood on the rise in the face of toxic masculinity in the western civilization and the patriarchy is shaking in its boots. Are you trolling?

This is a pretty self-centered post, too, albeit one that intends to drag everyone else down as well.

Are you sure you're not asking yourself that?

Neutrino said:

Pretty much, since all other "complaints" are either of the subjective & generic variety ("unfunny!", "Cheap looking", without even bothering to explain claims like that), or of the sort that can be easily applied to original movie.

I find it very easy to dissect what we've seen from the trailer and explain exactly why it is so unfunny...

Arctangent said:

This is a pretty self-centered post, too, albeit one that intends to drag everyone else down as well.

Are you sure you're not asking yourself that?

Funniest thing is how he keeps accusing himself of things nobody else accused him of.

Nobody said that you are a sexist, dew, least of all did anybody accuse rest of this forum of holding such views.
It is almost as if you recognize those views in yourself, and try to preemptively defend yourself both by presenting those views in the over the top manner, and by throwing rest of this forum in the same bucket with yourself.

GoatLord said:

I find it very easy to dissect what we've seen from the trailer and explain exactly why it is so unfunny...

Do elaborate.

So am I in the same bucket as the forums or am I not? Who's the intangible horde of sexists that tear this wonderful display of tasteful, funny and artistic cinema down? Your vague judgements accuse no one and everyone, that's why it's so easy to have a reaction to them. Is this how you make yourself feel better than the rest?

Arctangent accused the haters of sexism. There are people who clearly think this trailer is garbage. Are there more categories of people who dislike this trailer, with the esteemed people of Doomworld firmly in the valid, benign category? The reasoning that this movie shouldn't exist, because it's just a soulless cashgrab, was shot down as infantile. Anyone questioning your right to make these broad sweeping statements was rebuffed as self-centered.

Yet no one's attacking anyone, eh, eh. Such wonderful display of self-righteous bullshit.

A thread devolving into "sexism"-troll baiting going on unhinged? I guess Ling won't show up action won't be taken until someone says SJW or complains about Anita Sarkeesian.

Good show, Ultra-Progressive World.

Arctangent, if you were meant to rustle some jimmies, well done, but people are getting sick of shitty generalizations of all sorts of isms where none is needed.

But if you really insist on calling (or attempting to call) someone sexist, please, fuck off to Tumblr. As if there's not enough antagonizing of people who are more cynical about Hollywood.

@Scuba Steve
I remember there was Ghostbusters cartoon. Can you tell anything about that and would you recommend it?

Clonehunter said:

A thread devolving into "sexism"-troll baiting going on unhinged? I guess Ling won't show up action won't be taken until someone says SJW or complains about Anita Sarkeesian.

Good show, Ultra-Progressive World.

Fraggle did it on this very thread....

Going to echo Steve and Dew. The fact that it's an all female cast is a little strange but not bad in itself, it's more a matter of that and the film's title seem to be literally the only selling points it has.

(Also an all male Hocus Pocus reboot would be kinda weird, so this is kinda weird. Quote straight from the missus. Does that somehow make her sexist against herself to merely have that opinion? If so that's fine, I'd just like to know at what point our thoughts should be policed!)

We will end up having male and female versions of everything in the name of equality, probably straight and homosexual versions of everything too.

EDIT: Oh and of course white, black, asian, etc versions of everything, of course if you don't like any of these you will be labeled a racist.

Xerge said:

Let's reboot 007 and replace James Bond with a lesbian character who goes around sleeping with other lesbians while killing the bad guys.

Finally a Jane Bond movie I can watch without getting bored!

That's actually a neat concept isn't it? I also like the idea of a movie titled Nutbusters.

dew said:

So am I in the same bucket as the forums or am I not? Who's the intangible horde of sexists that tear this wonderful display of tasteful, funny and artistic cinema down? Your vague judgements accuse no one and everyone, that's why it's so easy to have a reaction to them. Is this how you make yourself feel better than the rest?

Arctangent accused the haters of sexism. There are people who clearly think this trailer is garbage. Are there more categories of people who dislike this trailer, with the esteemed people of Doomworld firmly in the valid, benign category? The reasoning that this movie shouldn't exist, because it's just a soulless cashgrab, was shot down as infantile. Anyone questioning your right to make these broad sweeping statements was rebuffed as self-centered.

Yet no one's attacking anyone, eh, eh. Such wonderful display of self-righteous bullshit.

Arctangent said:

Edit: Belatedly, I should clarify, I'm calling out the internet in general. Though I do find the tone of some of these posts exceedingly negative, my frustration's not directly aimed at anyone in the thread. Sorry for being kind of vague with this.

... Funny thing about that is, right above this post are bunch that are pretty dang questionable. Whee.

Arctangent said:

... Funny thing about that is, right above this post are bunch that are pretty dang questionable. Whee.

Good thing what counts as 'questionable' is totally subjective cause uh, if anyone is legitimately offended by what Xerge said, they're gonna have a bad time existing in a world where people have differing opinions and views.

Do you not see how it's way worse to use women with the sole purpose of taking in cash, rather than casting them in a legitimately well made role(s)?

Xerge said:

Someone should now make a Tomb Raider reboot and replace Lara Croft with a male character, so that if males and females don't like it they can be called sexists.

*cough* Uncharted *cough*

Anyways, I've always considered 'Evolution' to be the spiritual successor to ghostbusters... and beside the fact the big baddie was a giant sphincter that was destroyed by a bazillion gallons of head&shoulders shampoo which ended up looking like the world's biggest bukkake event in the aftermath of its destruction... it STILL was a million times better than this movie could ever hope to be.

Buckshot said:

*cough* Uncharted *cough*

No, that was a bad idea, they sould've stuck "Tomb Raider" on the title and call it a reboot.

To anyone present who's concerned about sexism: go support a women's shelter and don't vote Republican. This is a fucking Ghostbusters trailer.

GoatLord said:

There literally wasn't a single even remotely funny thing in the trailer. You can tell the writing and directing is absolute shit. Even worse is that, given its stars, it makes it look like women can't be funny.

That last point is my concern. I don't know anything about any of the actresses but I like the idea of an all-female cast that isn't trying to look like Charlie's Angels. I think there's a lot you could do with that. But, the studio released a trailer for an Adam Sandler movie by mistake. I'm reminding myself that the cast probably isn't at fault, and that the script just didn't given them the opportunity to display a modicum of talent.

If these actresses are, in fact, talentless hacks, that also shouldn't reflect poorly on all female comedians. I might have to watch some Amy Poehler and Tina Fey to cleanse my palate after this.

Creaphis said:

the studio released a trailer for an Adam Sandler movie by mistake.

You say that until you go and see a "Happy Madison Productions" logo before the film starts.