131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Doom
    • Doom II
    • TNT
    • Plutonia
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3
    • Some other megawad (specify in response)

For any reason, which one is your favorite? If you want to, specify your reason in a response. I'm just bored and curious.

Post is missing Master Levels and NRFTL. Not sure if you wanted to include those or not since they're "official."

dethtoll said:

Post is missing Master Levels and NRFTL. Not sure if you wanted to include those or not since they're "official."

Meh, forgot about them. Too late now.

Forgot PSX Doom (yes, I know, it's technically covered by some of your offerings). I choose this strictly for nostalgia and pioneering reasons.

Not to be persnickety, but you should've named Doom "Doom 1" in the poll because it shares the same name as the 2016 variant. (That's why I personally call it Ultimate Doom.) The way it stands now, this might cause some confusion for newcomers who haven't played the series.

Doom 3 isn't that great, but at least it's graphics aren't as outdated as Doom 1's :P (what the hell , graphics fan detected) .

HavoX said:

Not to be persnickety, but you should've named Doom "Doom 1" in the poll because it shares the same name as the 2016 variant. (That's why I personally call it Ultimate Doom.) The way it stands now, this might cause some confusion for newcomers who haven't played the series.

Nah, there's only one Doom.

I think it's fair to just refer to the new one as Doom 2016 or Doom 4 tbh. I deal with the 2014 Thief game the same way, though I sometimes call it Th14f just to be clever an ass.

I've been a fan of Doom ever since it originally came out back in 1993, it's stuck with me for a very long time and I've enjoyed it on many platforms in it's various forms. These days, I've become obsessed with the black sheep of the series, Doom 64. There is something about it that resonates with me, it's hard to explain. But I've been playing Doom 64 EX almost exclusively.

I chose Doom for nostalgia, the pitch shifting sound, and the level design.

And as far as the "Doom" vs "Doom 2016" debate...I've just been calling it NewDoom when I speak about it.

TNT all the way. I love the atmospheric progression of the maps; that they themselves tell enough of a story of exploring a base and eventually descending into Hell. Which sounds like every other Doom, granted, but none did it like TNT did.

Doom 1, but kudos to Doom 2 for all the sweet wads made for it. Not to say I don't also love plenty of Doom 2's original levels.

Doom = Plutonia > Doom 2 > TNT for the IWADs. And if by other megawads you mean PWAD's than I prefer Valiant to all of the above.

Doom 64, it was my first time playing any Doom game while I was 10 years old, I borrowed my friends copy and played it on my brothers N64.

The poll and its results are a little confusing by virtue of that final option. Surely everyone and their dog can think of a collection of maps that they prefer to play vs. the stock originals? I'd have thought it would be skewed heavily in favour of 'Some other megawad,' and then some.

I choose to think of that as meaning an official wad such as NRFTL or a semi-official one like Perdition's Gate.

Doom 3 is my choice, The gameplay is very close to The original Doom (with addition of Jumping and Crouching), and it's quality is ... well ... better, I like Classic Doom, but if i had to choose between them i'd choose Doom 3 .

Some players only Choose Classic Doom because of nostalgia albeit it plays just like Doom 3 (if you do not count jumping,crouching,flashlight and reloading) .

For me, Doom 3 is best of them (nothing personal Team TnT) .

I also like Doom 3 ROE, the Super shotgun, The Bosses, and time slowing Hell heart was a genius idea .

Alien Vendetta has always been my favourite megawad. Beautifully designed levels, intense challenge, especially at the latter half, and a high replay value. However, my most favourite IWAD has to be Ultimate Doom for having the best levels, which are in all of Episode 1 and 4, most in Episode 2, and a couple (Tom Hall's maps) in Episode 3.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

it plays just like Doom 3 (if you do not count jumping,crouching,flashlight and reloading) .

And walk/run speed, and gun behavior, and horror elements, and enemy behavior, and reading every email/listening to every audio log of Steve Blum crying to find out the code for a locker containing one clip and a stimpack (and a monkey wrench I really want), but that's so minor who would notice? Totally the same game. Though for the record, the hand-held flashlight was the best thing about Doom 3 and the lack of one destroyed the BFG Edition to me, though I still played it through to the end because when I was a teen my bro lost my PC game 1 disc and the original Xbox version was a bastardized mess with levels missing.

Fonze said:

And walk/run speed, and gun behavior, and horror elements, and enemy behavior, and reading every email/listening to every audio log of Steve Blum crying to find out the code for a locker containing one clip and a stimpack (and a monkey wrench I really want) .

I was speaking generally, those stuff still don't make it different from Classic Doom (except Audio logs and codes), since i really barely remembered them , eventually i totally forget they weren't a part of Classic doom .