Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Royal_Sir

Are Pinkies and Hell Knights Related?

Just something I was wondering about them.

The Barons and Knights are fully formed demons of hell, with full upright posture, developed horns, and 6 packs. They are the elite of hell.

However, Pinkies, despite looking and acting way differently, possess similar traits. Difference being that the pinky is hunched over and has an overdeveloped head, and gnashes its way through opposition.

I wonder: are the knights and pinkies related?

Since barons and knights are the elite, it would make sense they appear powerful and well developed. There is little room from crippling deformities among their ranks.

Pinkies are the foot soldiers of their race. Their hunched position indicates hard toil, and the overdeveloped heads point to growing up attacking with their heads primarily. Since they do not possess the magic knights and barons do, they have little use for their arms, which appear deformed in-game. They also appear to be lesser developed mentally than the barons and knights, most likely due to their status as menial servants, probably from birth, and separated from the developing "strong" youth that become knights later on, and have had little opportunity to use brains.

Perhaps there is more in common between the two monsters, they could even be the same species. What do you think?

I would say they are different animals simply due to their legs (pinkie legs being fleshy whilst baron and knight have goat legs)

I always pictured the imps as being your standard foot soldiers as they appear to hold a fairly high level of intelligence and magical ability, I feel the pinkies could simply be 'wild-life' from hells ecosystem that followed in wake of the invasion. (Think head crabs and bull squids in half life.)

I like to imagine that the demons' true forms are non-corporeal, and that the monsters that Doomguy fights are just fleshy vessels for them to exist in the material world. The bodies they get to have are based on their standing within the spirit world, with Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind bodies going to the Hellish dimension's ruling classes, Barons and Hell Knights going to the their middle rankers while the lowest ranks have to content themselves with possessing weak and flimsy human bodies. Being incarnated into a Lost Soul is like the Hellish equivalent of being put on parole.

Tompig said:

I would say they are different animals simply due to their legs (pinkie legs being fleshy whilst baron and knight have goat legs)

I always pictured the imps as being your standard foot soldiers as they appear to hold a fairly high level of intelligence and magical ability, I feel the pinkies could simply be 'wild-life' from hells ecosystem that followed in wake of the invasion. (Think head crabs and bull squids in half life.)

I've pictured the Imps being equivalent to Vortigaunts, the Hellknights and Barons of Hell being equivalent to Alien Grunt Soldiers, and the Pinkies being equivalent to Bullsquids (except without that whole spitting acid at you.)

But yeah, I agree. I think the Pinkies are wild-life that traveled with the Demons when they were invading Phobos, Deimos, and Mars.

Now I sorta wish there was a game or mod that took a Half-Life 1 approach to Doom....

(Doom III doesn't count. =P)

I imagine all of Doom's hellspawn to be (distantly) related, though not the same species, and I don't see how Pinkies and Hell Knights in particular would stand out as more related than the other monster types.

scifista42 said:

I imagine all of Doom's hellspawn to be (distantly) related, though not the same species

The result of divergent evolution from some distant ancestor that crawled out of the primordial nukage? I could go along with that.

Good catch 40oz. The back structures appear the same, although the Pinkies are in a more hunched back position.

Also, notice the legs. I understand that the feet appear different, but they share the same back-leg structure found on quadrupeds (don't know how else to say it), unlike the rest of the hellspawn.

i'm thinking that they're probably related, but definitely not the same species. possibly a relationship, like that of humans and monkeys?

I figure that it is just the artists style and reusing designs from models.

I honestly believe the Demons to be Aliens that have been banished there (whether by other Aliens, or god [Which I doubt since christianity is never mentioned in doom])

The Balgaphora (Pinkies, Hell Knights, Barons and Harbingers/Cyberdemons would be the original inhabitants of hell, and an extinct Satyr species) are a separate group of carnivorous/omnivorous Mammals (like Canidae)

All the Others (except Pain Elementals and Cacodemons) such as Archviles, Imps, Mancubi, Spiderdemons, are of the DooM's "living (Earth)" dimension

XLightningStormL said:

I honestly believe the Demons to be Aliens that have been banished there (whether by other Aliens, or god [Which I doubt since christianity is never mentioned in doom])

The Balgaphora (Pinkies, Hell Knights, Barons and Harbingers/Cyberdemons would be the original inhabitants of hell, and an extinct Satyr species) are a separate group of carnivorous/omnivorous Mammals (like Canidae)

All the Others (except Pain Elementals and Cacodemons) such as Archviles, Imps, Mancubi, Spiderdemons, are of the DooM's "living (Earth)" dimension

There is a popular theory that Hell has actually conquered various alien civillizations over time, and incorporated and corrupted their species into demons, your theory though is cool as well. Yes Hell Knights, Cyberdemons and all the other Horned, Hooved Mammalian creatures are all related to one another, Mancubus and Archviles are also probably related, Cacodemons and Pain Elementals are quite clearly distant cousins. Revenants are part of the new breed of Corrupted Humans being incorporated into Hell.

CreamCheese said:

conquered various alien civillizations over time, and incorporated and corrupted their species

That sounds so much like the Stroggs lore.