Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGA

SMOOTHED (Smooth monsters for Doom Retro and Crispy Doom)

bradharding said:

Nice job, VGA! I look forward to the complete version. Let me know if you need any help. :)

I need help! I am running out of sprite names. I have had to use the two Beta Plasma names and that useless SMT2 but at this rate I will run out of the useless ones!

I think the best solution is if Doom Retro adds sprite names DR00 to DR99. I will create an issue at the bug tracker.

I can't wait for the full version, I absolutely love retro doom and smoothdoom, and a combination of both would be even better!

I've completed the Demon and the Revenant but I will have to post them after the next stable version of Doom Retro because there were some port additions needed (more sprite names)

I'm also adding explosive deaths for the other monsters, since the resources are there. Vanilla game only has XDeath for zombieman,shotgunguy,imp and chaingunner. With a new dehacked property that Doom Retro's port author added, I'm going to make it so that big damage kills have a change to destroy mid-tier monsters with a smooth animation. RIP N' TEAR!

I'm noticing some issues with monster corpses that were placed by the map designer, some of them seem to be stuck in an earlier death frame, instead of the final dead corpse frame, here are some examples:

MAP02: Well of Souls, Plutonia:

MAP02: Evil Admin, Going Down:
Just so you know, I was using Doom Retro v2.0.4, SMOOTHED.wad, BlackOps.wad, and my own modified version of pk_doom_sfx_20120224.wad

Ah, yes, it is because I have been editing the monster states but have not touched the "dead monster" things, so they now point to the wrong sprites, heh. Thanks for the report, luckily it is very easy to fix.

When the next stable of Doom Retro comes out, then I will release a new revision with more monsters completed and the corpses having the correct sprites! Some needed dehacked additions did not make it into 2.0.4.

*phew*

Released a new version. Doom Retro 2.0.5 required!

Any bug reports or suggestions welcome. If you notice any behaviour/timing change or some sprite misalignment, let me know.

I will continue work till all the monsters are dehacked-smoothed. And then I will deal with the decoration animations like torches and barrels. Duke3D explosions maybe, hmmmm?

If you plan on including Duke3D explosions, I would hope it would be a separate wad. Sometimes I like them for certain wads but I prefer the DOOM explosions when I'm looking for a more vanilla flavored experience. I would still like Duke3D explosions to be available in some form!

I'm trying to make this work with my port but the sprite loading isn't working properly.

Spoiler

R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame V
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame W
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame X
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame Y
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame Z
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SPOS frame [
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame U
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame V
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame W
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame X
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame Y
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame Z
R_InitSprites: No patches found for BSPI frame [
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SP03 frame L
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SP03 frame M
R_InitSprites: No patches found for SP03 frame N

I take it that other source ports can create missing sprites?

VGA said:

Basically the engine doesn't have to be so anal. Prboom and Zdoom had no problem but Doom Retro needed that simple change.

Thanks, I'd changed the I_Error to printf so that it didn't actually error out, but failed to realise that that was all that was needed.

Completed Mancubus, Lost Soul, Hell Knight and Baron of Hell, I updated the first post.

Only the Cyberdemon and the Mastermind are left. And then I want to do the projectiles, the barrel and the explosions.

I figure this is something you'll address when the smoothed.wad project is finished, but I thought I'd bring it up if you haven't noticed already.

When completing a DOOM 2 wad, the monster cast screen glitches, it displays the zombieman, and after shooting him, it displays a second zombieman which cannot be shot. It does not respond to any key press, and it never proceeds to the next monster.

I completed the Cyberdemon. Only the Mastermind left now, heh.

Phobos Anomaly said:

I figure this is something you'll address when the smoothed.wad project is finished, but I thought I'd bring it up if you haven't noticed already.

When completing a DOOM 2 wad, the monster cast screen glitches, it displays the zombieman, and after shooting him, it displays a second zombieman which cannot be shot. It does not respond to any key press, and it never proceeds to the next monster.

Thanks for the report. I think Brad will fix this engine-side. I don't see anything that I can do regarding this.

Do you plan on implementing some of the smaller smoothness like the added frame for the armor that smooth doom does to make the armor glowing smoother? That would be a really nice small touch.

I really admire what you're doing here. I haven't actually checked it out yet though since I'm waiting for the complete version. The weapons wad is cool. I always play with black gloves myself too. even been putting together a custom weapons graphic wad to use with doom retro. Now I gotta work on making them smooth too. :P

Yeah, I deliberately kept this project separate so it doesn't touch anything weapon-related. So users can use whatever they want, either Black Ops or something else ... or nothing.

I have practically finished the monsters (only the Mastermind is left) so please use this and keep an out out for wrong sprites in animations, bad offsets, changes in behaviour from vanilla etc.

I will definitely work on using all the community resources available to improve all animations in items, projectiles and explosions.

I put up v6 which now has all monsters smoothed except the SS Nazi which I leave alone since many dehacked mods use him. Also, I did all player and monster projectiles and the barrel.

Finally gave this a go and I'm very impressed. (if only DR could do voxels, and maybe colored lighting, I'd never go to another engine combined with these smooth animations).

The timing on somethings seem a bit awkward though. Most noticeably, the imp walking animation. It seems like they are animating faster than they are actually moving. If that makes sense. As though they are tip toeing almost.

On a related note, it would be nice to have a left handed pistol version of black ops.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Finally gave this a go and I'm very impressed. (if only DR could do voxels, and maybe colored lighting, I'd never go to another engine combined with these smooth animations).

The timing on somethings seem a bit awkward though. Most noticeably, the imp walking animation. It seems like they are animating faster than they are actually moving. If that makes sense. As though they are tip toeing almost.

On a related note, it would be nice to have a left handed pistol version of black ops.

Thanks, let me know about things that seem off! New version is up, I made some changes to the Imp, it should be less like tip-toeing now. Also, I added another alternative death for it.

About the Black Ops mod, have you seen any good black gloves, left-handed pistol resources I could use? Although I'm not sure it would be fun using a non-centered gun when having no crosshair :D

On another note, that bug during the endgame casting call is fixed in Doom Retro, so the next version will not screw up there.

And on yet another note, I may be creating a mod using Eriance's gun resources for Doom Retro, later on!

I'm pretty sure you can just flip the sprite in slade and reposition it a bit. I did this before with a black glove pistol variant I made to use with dR which combines classic with d64 pistol. Used the Zirrion the insect's version as a base. Along with some custom shotguns.

Edit: I just compared the sprites you are using with the ones from doom2.wad. I guess the pistol itself is exactly the same as the original, so if you flipped it to make it left handed, then it would be slightly off.

On 3/5/2016 at 10:29 PM, VGA said:

About the Black Ops mod, have you seen any good black gloves, left-handed pistol resources I could use? Although I'm not sure it would be fun using a non-centered gun when having no crosshair :D

Actually, I've made something like this the way Brewtal_Legend suggested. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRa3JhZVpHSUFTSWM/view?usp=sharing
I'll take it down if you're not okay with me editing your port to Doom Retro.
On another note related to the Black Ops DR wad (don't want to bump a month old thread), there is a shortcoming in Black Ops.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRWkVNczN6Y3gtcVE/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-eETZkxHxB3ve7pE0aWLsCQ
Notice the bullet colour and holes in his arm. The bullet and arm also seem to change depending on the surroundings, as if some pixels were semi-translucent. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRNlRHbVo2dlVDM28/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0--NTD3oSSEULOf8VzFmffhg
I'm not sure if it's DR's or the sprite editor's fault, my bet is it's connected to DR's 256-colour renderer, its per-pixel translucency handling or this somehow http://doomwiki.org/wiki/PLAYPAL#Index_247, because it looks fine in ZDoom. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRMXpISE43Ul92N3c/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-lR7-_TWuGJvHkdWr4cLlsw

EDIT:
I've updated the left-handed package to v3 - changed the pistol shading mentioned by Brewtal_Legend to match stock Doom, also on the right-handed variant (some colours were lighter than stock Doom), added brown gloves and Vanilla Doom pistol's horizontal position versions https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRU3NZX0lBZmdNOG8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Filipianosol : Fixed links.

I just noticed the weird graphic bug with the ssg in doom2 that Filipianosol pointed out. Never noticed before because I only just started using black ops and with Ultimate doom only so far.

I also checked out that left handed version. Thanks. Looks cool. Though if you look close, you can see what I was talking about with the actual gun stock itself being mirrored from that of the original doom. I may take a crack myself at editing a faithful version. Gonna take a while though. I do all my sprite editing in ms paint. :P

Not a big fan of how the bfg looks smoothed personally. I think if the whole gun moved back would look better. I think I've seen a better smooth version somewhere but can't recall where I saw it.

The Imp does look better now. Though he looks like he's limping a little. But that's just me splitting hairs really. :P

You are supposed to bump threads to unbury them so others can try my stuff :D

Anyway I will go through all the Black Ops frames to fix them, they probably got screwed during come conversion from png or something.

Also, I will try to make the BFG bump a little, it seemms too stiff to me, too.

At some point I will scout around for better imp walking frames.

And I am cool with any and all modifications to mods, none of the sprite resources are mine anyway.

VGA said:

Also, I will try to make the BFG bump a little, it seemms too stiff to me, too.

You could probably try to convert the BFG from Gifty's Smooth Doom to DeHackEd, as it is wiggly, unlike PerK's.

Filipianosol said:

Actually, I've made something like this the way Brewtal_Legend suggested. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRa3JhZVpHSUFTSWM/view?usp=sharing
I'll take it down if you're not okay with me editing your port to Doom Retro.
On another note related to the Black Ops DR wad (don't want to bump a month old thread), there is a shortcoming in Black Ops.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRWkVNczN6Y3gtcVE/view?usp=sharing
Notice the bullet colour and holes in his arm. The bullet and arm also seem to change depending on the surroundings, as if some pixels were semi-translucent. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRNlRHbVo2dlVDM28/view?usp=sharing
I'm not sure if it's DR's or the sprite editor's fault, my bet is it's connected to DR's 256-colour renderer, its per-pixel translucency handling or this somehow http://doomwiki.org/wiki/PLAYPAL#Index_247, because it looks fine in ZDoom. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz3WFRZJ1ZbRMXpISE43Ul92N3c/view?usp=sharing

What wad are you playing there with the BlackOps transparency bug? Is it a wad that contains a modified pallette? In other words, does that wad have a PLAYPAL lump that overwrites the default?

You can reply in the other thread if you want. I will see it there :D

VGA said:

What wad are you playing there with the BlackOps transparency bug? Is it a wad that contains a modified pallette? In other words, does that wad have a PLAYPAL lump that overwrites the default?

You can reply in the other thread if you want. I will see it there :D

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I encountered the same bug while playing in regular doom 2 levels and no other mods. So I don't think it has to do with the level set. My best guess would be it has to do with the resource sprite.