Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Superluigieth1

Ghostbusters New Movie Trailer

Doomkid said:

Good thing what counts as 'questionable' is totally subjective cause uh, if anyone is legitimately offended by what Xerge said, they're gonna have a bad time existing in a world where people have differing opinions and views.

Do you not see how it's way worse to use women with the sole purpose of taking in cash, rather than casting them in a legitimately well made role(s)?

Well I mean, they're based entirely around the excessive amount of sexualization done to lesbians. Hell, they're literally saying that they'd watch something that otherwise bores them for lesbian sex. I'd imagine that's fairly easy to find questionable.

Also, I don't really see how this movie's using women as a marketing stunt at all. I mean I guess having a woman star in something that isn't a "chick flick" is a marketing stunt of its own, but considering the fact that literally having a woman that stars in something that isn't tailored to women causes publicity really reflects badly on the film industry, not the people pulling the "stunt."

Arctangent said:

Well I mean, they're based entirely around the excessive amount of sexualization done to lesbians. Hell, they're literally saying that they'd watch something that otherwise bores them for lesbian sex. I'd imagine that's fairly easy to find questionable.

Surely his statements were a bit tongue in cheek. I could be wrong, but that's how I read them anyway.

Also, I don't really see how this movie's using women as a marketing stunt at all. I mean I guess having a woman star in something that isn't a "chick flick" is a marketing stunt of its own

Uhhh, What? Did Alien not exist? Did Zombieland not exist? Did all the strong, independent women in the Star Trek series and films not exist? How about all the other prime examples I can't think of at this moment? In what world is your claim true? It hasn't been the 50's for a while now! Just because "Sex and the City" sells well doesn't mean that's the only variety of film with female stars. Deliberate ignorance does not become you, I know you're better than that.

considering the fact that literally having a woman that stars in something that isn't tailored to women causes publicity really reflects badly on the film industry, not the people pulling the "stunt."

The film looks to be a horrible cash grab and not much more. The cash grab potential has been strateigcally increased in a rather overtly formulaic fashion by putting women in the role. "Extra dollars" was literally the reason, none of this hokum about 'finally representing women in films' or whatever. That been done and done well many times before.

That's just my take on all this though. I'm not trying to spread it as gospel, just my view.

Arctangent said:

they're based entirely around the excessive amount of sexualization done to lesbians.

James Bond is a man sleeping with a lot of women, but of course if a man is doing it in a movie then it must be the patriarchy at work, but if a lesbian is doing it then it must be based entirely around the excessive amount of sexualization done to lesbians, so lesbians need to be portrayed as nuns otherwise you will be called a sexist for doing such movie or even enjoy it, but of course if you portray them as nuns then someone will say they are being sexually repressed by the patriarchy.

Doomkid said:

Uhhh, What? Did Alien not exist? Did Zombieland not exist? Did all the strong, independent women in the Star Trek series and films not exist? How about all the other prime examples I can't think of at this moment? In what world is your claim true? It hasn't been the 50's for a while now! Just because "Sex and the City" sells well doesn't mean that's the only variety of film with female stars. Deliberate ignorance does not become you, I know you're better than that.

why do people try to argue that 3% is remotely 50%

No seriously I really can't understand how people can pull like six examples on good day to try to counter this. You could take a completely random selection of non-"chick flick" movies and it's not remotely likely a single one of them will have a female lead that's not just sex appeal or a love interest until you go up to like a sample size of a thousand. And that's being generous, the number is probably far, far over twice that size.

And even then, that's the chance of one.

Xerge said:

James Bond is a man sleeping with a lot of women, but of course if a man is doing it in a movie then it must be the patriarchy at work, but if a lesbian is doing it then it must be based entirely around the excessive amount of sexualization done to lesbians, so lesbians need to be portrayed as nuns otherwise you will be called a sexist for doing such movie or even enjoy it, but of course if you portray them as nuns then someone will say they are being sexually repressed by the patriarchy.

Man what a twisted world you live in, I just want to see lesbians in movies that aren't just fapbait.

Xerge said:

That being said, the Jane Bond reboot doesn't seem to be a very good idea after all.

Arctangent said:

Man what a twisted world you live in, I just want to see lesbians in movies that aren't just fapbait.

Ok, we remove all the sex scenes from Jane Bond, how's that?

edit: We aware that some may label this censorhip as homophobia.

Xerge said:

Ok, we remove all the sex scenes from Jane Bond, how's that?

edit: We aware that some may label this censorhip as homophobia.

Frankly, I don't really remember any of the sex scenes from any James Bond movie I've seen ( admittedly, not many, but ) but I do remember them being there, which is actually pretty good I'd say because that has the whole promiscuous aspect without really doing much fapbait.

So unless I'm just blanking out on how James Bond actually does sex scenes, I'd said it'd be pretty alright to keep the sex scenes. My main issue was you, anyway, not the concept of a spy movie in the style of James Bond but with a female protagonist.

Arctangent said:

not the concept of a spy movie in the style of James Bond but with a female protagonist.

The concept is not bad, but something more original would be more interesting than just sticking 007 on the title and changing the main protagonists sex, same applies to this Ghostbusters thing and to a male reboot of Tomb Raider.

Xerge said:

The concept is not bad, but something more original would be more interesting than just sticking 007 on the title and changing the main protagonists sex, same applies to this Ghostbusters thing and to a male reboot of Tomb Raider.

To be fair, the applies to anything under the same title as something previous, and none of these series have shown any shame regarding that.

Granted, Ghostbusters have probably the most shame in regards to that, but there's still the sequel, at least one cartoon series I know, a bunch of toys that weren't even linked to any of the movies, and quite a few video games and I wouldn't be surprised if you could dig up a novelization or some sort of comic book of the series.

Xerge said:

Stop assuming sex-positive and sex-negative feminism are the same thing. For Christ's sake, someone's always gonna bitch, who cares?

No seriously I really can't understand how people can pull like six examples on good day to try to counter this. You could take a completely random selection of non-"chick flick" movies and it's not remotely likely a single one of them will have a female lead that's not just sex appeal or a love interest until you go up to like a sample size of a thousand. And that's being generous, the number is probably far, far over twice that size.

None of this changes the fact that "it's a publicity stunt to cast a woman in your movie" is a ridiculous claim. This film is purely a cash grab that uses women to extend it's goal to make as much money as possible off of something superficial.

The act that this benefits "women's rights" or whatever else is laughably absurd

Doomkid said:

The act that this benefits "women's rights" or whatever else is laughably absurd

Actually, the sad part is that what's actually laughably absurd is how easy it is to at least somewhat benefit women's rights. It's certainly unlikely to cause a wave, but it's still quite a step to have women that aren't Hollywood-attractive in starring role of something not marketed solely for women and not have it be one big joke about them not being Hollywood-attractive, so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a joke like that and the movie does at least decently enough to remove some hesitance towards one of the strangely unconventional things this movie does.

Yeah, you're a normal woman? Well now you can be a normal woman in a shitty Ghostbusters movie, wow! What progression!

Arctangent said:

To be fair, the applies to anything under the same title as something previous, and none of these series have shown any shame regarding that.

Granted, Ghostbusters have probably the most shame in regards to that, but there's still the sequel, at least one cartoon series I know, a bunch of toys that weren't even linked to any of the movies, and quite a few video games and I wouldn't be surprised if you could dig up a novelization or some sort of comic book of the series.

What I mean is that if someone is interested to come up with new characters, for example a male version of Lara Croft, then I would find more interesting to give the new character his own series and make something more original, so if someone wants to take an existing character or story that I already find original and interesting to expand the storyline (specially when the previous title is inconclusive) then I would still find that interesting because it's based on something I already like and find interesting and original.

To be honest, I didn't really find Ghostbusters to be that interesting in the first place, I mean I'm not a fan, nevertheless I think it has originality, I don't remember seeing something like that before.

Jaxxoon R said:

Yeah, you're a normal woman? Well now you can be a normal woman in a shitty Ghostbusters movie, wow! What progression!

I'm aware that this is a joke, but it's entirely possible that this could open up more roles for more women who don't adhere to Hollywood's standard of beauty. So, yeah, it's nothing women shouldn't already have in the first place, but then again that's a lot of sex-related progressiveness anyway.

CorSair said:

I remember there was Ghostbusters cartoon. Can you tell anything about that and would you recommend it?

For what I remember, it have good animations and was a nice show overall...

I know on YouTube there's the episodes uploaded, shame is they are in Italian language, not sure if still around... check out "the new ghostbusters" for say cartoon show... Also did somebody remembers about filmation ghostbusters?

Arctangent said:

Actually, the sad part is that what's actually laughably absurd is how easy it is to at least somewhat benefit women's rights. It's certainly unlikely to cause a wave, but it's still quite a step to have women that aren't Hollywood-attractive in starring role of something not marketed solely for women and not have it be one big joke about them not being Hollywood-attractive, so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a joke like that and the movie does at least decently enough to remove some hesitance towards one of the strangely unconventional things this movie does.

There is no reason to believe that this movie won't be successful.
This isn't all that different from the reaction to latest Mad Max, it is only a bit more pronounced and vitriolic this time around. Angry internet men didn't prevent that movie from becoming a mainstream success, and they won't prevent this one either.

Neutrino said:

This isn't all that different from the reaction to latest Mad Max, it is only a bit more pronounced and vitriolic this time around. Angry internet men didn't prevent that movie from becoming a mainstream success, and they won't prevent this one either.

Can you please stop lying? This is shameful, stop warping reality to fit your bullshit theories. Everyone I know of and cared about that sort of movies was positively hyped about the new Mad Max, buying tickets for the midnight premiere and everything.

Look at the ratings! Unless they magically got turned around AFTER the movie got released and everyone realized they were filthy MRA mysoginists and started upvoting like crazy, your claim reeks of "I will say anything to prove my point". Is that you, mr. Trump?

dew said:

Stuff

Disliking a shitty looking cash-grab film that happens to have women = Literally worse than Hitler

Glaice said:

Meanwhile, the usual Tumblr/SJW crowd are calling it sexist/racist..

Which I think is fucking HILARIOUS because the cast literally looks like a gang of SJW's straight from the labrynthian, dungeon like depths of Tumblr.

dethtoll said:

No they don't.

Well I mean SJWs are basically anyone you don't like, so Stevie might just be admitting something.

I think it looks okay for what its worth. Ill probably see it.

Also, lol at the Happy Madison thing. Adam Sandler used to be so funny! He should do a Little Nicky 2. I fucking loved that film. Or a Grandmas Boy sequel.

Thats what kids do to you though. . .

Chu said:

Adam Sandler used to be so funny!

The only funny thing he ever did was to be the only funny part of Deuce Bigelow, and he wasn't even physically in the movie.

Chu said:

Adam Sandler used to be so funny!

He's probably the un-funniest comedian ever. I couldn't name a single movie with him I liked.

Clonehunter said:

I actually liked Sandler more as a drama actor... The very few times he's done that.

Yeah. Too bad that his dumb comedy routine is what he does most.

StevieCybernetik said:

Which I think is fucking HILARIOUS because the cast literally looks like a gang of SJW's straight from the labrynthian, dungeon like depths of Tumblr.

It has nothing to do with how they look. It could be four bimbos or it could be Adam Sandler and his retarded SNL friends in drag (they'd do it in a heartbeat), the result would be the same: an unfunny cashgrab. It's not about the all-woman cast at all, the problem lies in the writing and directing. Even the trailer reeks of a hackjob and reading about the leaked script and the early internal version completes the picture. Sony decided to "revive a franchise" they own and they most probably did a dire job.

I just have to wonder if they're playing up this gender drama on purpose in order to save face, like the NK drama when they took down The Interview for being a steaming pile of garbage. Their writers and producers may be clueless hacks, but their PR office deserves a huge bonus for this spin.