Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChickenOrBeef

Uncharted 4 Delayed to May 10th (Bad news for DOOM)

BluePineapple72 said:

Well Pete Hines isn't worried

Who?

RUSH said:

Who?

He is one of the Vice Presidents of Bethesda Softworks, he was the grey haired dude that introduced all of the developers at Bethesdas e3

tuo said:

Original Doom blew everything out of the water due to the technology, the gameplay and the overall state of business in gaming, it all was a niche back then. No AAA-titles.

If we really are afraid of Doom 2016 going up against another - quite successfull - AAA-franchise on PS4, we shouldn't hold our hopes up for it becoming another well-selling franchise for Bethesda.

I am not worried for Doom going up against Uncharted, or going up against any other game. If it want's to be great, it has to be great, and then it will sell.

At the same time, give it enough marketing down until launch, and I don't think it will have a problam. When I look at sale numbers of Street Fighter 5 - a game where all most of fans are unsatisfied, but the legacy is stunning and the marketing was big - then I have no doubt Doom will sell. If it will be an absolutely great game, I am quite sure it will hold it's own against Uncharted 4.

If not...well...then maybe it didn't deserve it? Just a thought... (not that I think that will happen)

I agree with iD needing to execute a much harder marketing push, especially compared to what they've been doing so far.

What I don't agree with, however, is the comparison with Street Fighter. The reason is because Capcom has , at the very least, released several dozen iterations of their fighting series; while iD has only released (officially) maybe a handful. Save, of course, for all the original fan-based content released by the mod community. But that did more to keep the original game afloat than it did to promote future games IMO.

Now, I don't believe Uncharted is going to genuinely affect DOOM sales; but It would be quite silly to assume it won't dig into it them at least a little bit. Fan of both franchises, who are looking to choose one or the other (and not both) will largely be swayed by whichever has the stronger advertising push. And as of right now, I believe Naughty Dog has our beloved iD beat.

With that being said, I'll be purchasing both games at launch:P

A bit of a dick move on Sony's part IMO. I doubt they would have done that had Bethesda chosen them as their marketing platform of choice. All political, behind the scenes bs, probably Sony's way of sending them a message.
Still you could look at it the other way and say sales won't be affected because a huge number of uncharted fans probably pre-orded and paid for the game already and so they can afford to buy doom.
Most likely scenario is sales won't be affected because it's different genre and aimed at different players.

wheresthebeef said:

It baffles me people don't know what Uncharted is.
Its one of the biggest game series of last gen and are really enjoyable games. The only caveat is they are playstation exclusive.

It's not a shooter made before 1998, and it's not HURR CALL OF DUTY MODERN GAMES therefore it doesn't exist to a lot of people here.

wheresthebeef said:

It baffles me people don't know what Uncharted is.
Its one of the biggest game series of last gen and are really enjoyable games. The only caveat is they are playstation exclusive.

I don't have a Playstation so I've never heard of it.

LANEGRACABRA said:

I'd be a fan of alot more game franchises if I wasn't so broke all the time.

FFFFFFFFFUCKKKK WHY DO I FEEL IDENTIFIED

Uncharted is the typical one-trick pony it always has been and will always be. The campaign will be great to play through once and then people will get bored with it and play the PvP. Uncharted doesn't have anything to increase the longevity of its life like Doom has with its mods. If you honestly care more about how many copies of Doom will sell than being excited to play the game, you should re-evaluate your life.

Jet1337 said:

Uncharted is the typical one-trick pony it always has been and will always be. The campaign will be great to play through once and then people will get bored with it and play the PvP. Uncharted doesn't have anything to increase the longevity of its life like Doom has with its mods. If you honestly care more about how many copies of Doom will sell than being excited to play the game, you should re-evaluate your life.

Why wouldn't we be concerned? If DOOM doesn't sell well, kiss any future games good bye.

Jet1337 said:

If you honestly care more about how many copies of Doom will sell than being excited to play the game, you should re-evaluate your life.

If DOOM is a hit, then iD Software will get much more support from Zenimax in the future to do things like continue the franchise in even bigger ways, or perhaps reboot Quake as well, or something even more ambitious.

It must suck to be a company that is expected to make a hit every game they release. It's sad, but it's true.

TheWizard said:

It must suck to be a company that is expected to make a hit every game they release. It's sad, but it's true.

iD Software has released one game in the last 12 years, and it had so-so sales. That's not a typical situation, so they need to become relevant again.

The only reason I haven't played / heard of uncharted is because I haven't had a playstation for eons. I'm not some anti-new-game dude, love the Left 4 Dead series for example, but with Doom modding / server upkeep / actually playing multiplayer / helping friends with WADs and stuff, all on my off time from an 11 hr per day job is either spent with the missus, cleaning the house, or doin doom stuff. I'm not anti-new though! [/rant]

AirRaid said:

Because a decent chunk of gamers don't have the money to buy two big full priced games in the same week. Some of those people will choose Uncharted over Doom. How many is the question. I don't think it'll make a huge dent in sales but it'll certainly have some kind of effect.

Pretty much this. The average Joe isn't willing to put $120 down on video games in one month. Working Joe has bills to pay, and no wife is putting up with that kind nonsense, after all she needs another pair of shoes. Working Joe has to make a choice. Working Joe can choose Doom, a game he vaguely remembers from decades ago, or he can plop down that cash on a proven AAA series that consistently reviews well with every release.

This may hurt Doom. Which is already horribly marketed. My friends at work ask if I'm excited about 'that halo rip-off'.

Doom isn't exactly a big deal anymore. No matter how much we love it.

Uncharted is.

So this means Male Laura Croft is close to the release date with Doom 4..

IS Uncharted still a big deal, though? Last I've heard, the third one didn't do so hot compared to its predecessors and it certainly doesn't seem to have the kind of cultural cachet as, say, a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout game (which Bethesda certainly wouldn't release the same time as Doom) or a new Call of Duty (reliably a November release.)

Not to mention that as many people have pointed out it's a PS4 exclusive.

Though Ironhound needs to smack his "friends" at work a little. I like Halo and all but to call Doom as a franchise a ripoff of anything is staggeringly ignorant.

Ironhound said:

Doom isn't exactly a big deal anymore. No matter how much we love it.

Uncharted is.

There's no accounting for taste!

Doom ain't afraid of no Uncharted. Though actually I could use some Uncharted right now, because it's 4am and a good sleep aid would work wonders (ZING)

Linguica said:

Did Doom have a commercial tie-in like THIS?

I'm eagerly awaiting the ad where Doomguy takes a nice refreshing swig of Mountain Dew™ before continuing on his journey through hell. Then doom will be a real game just like Uncharted!

PsychoGoatee said:

I could use some Uncharted right now, because it's 4am and a good sleep aid would work wonders (ZING)

Please forgive the use of a stupid meme picture, but that one actually made me laugh out loud, and I haven't even played Uncharted. It could be awesome, for all I know.

dethtoll said:

I like Halo and all but to call Doom as a franchise a ripoff of anything is staggeringly ignorant.

Confusing Austria with Australia is staggeringly ignorant. Being unaware that Doom is a venerated, pioneering franchise is just ignorant. The last Doom game was 12 years ago, and the ones that mattered were made over two decades ago. Honestly, it's understandable that the average person might not be familiar with Doom at all. It's not like video game history is part of the school curriculum.

On the other hand, they might have just been pulling his leg.

Maybe. I think most people who play games are at least passingly aware that Doom is the "first" FPS game, usually learning this fact through some clickbait news article or whatever.