Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

If you decide to make a little intro-ish map, that would be badass and - based on the screenshots you've shown - would make a welcome addition to the family I'm sure :)

If you do, I'd still love to use the MIDI on the current map01. It's a great starter tune and sets the vibe well, plus it's Zappa so naturally I dig it.

(Just make sure it starts with some sort of 'escaping from jail' type setup if you decide to make it, I can then alter the intro area to my map.)

Crunchynut44 said:

I can definitely do a jail, sounds like fun.

Great, give it two or less weeks and ill have both maps ready for you :)

Also, if you're doing a new jail, please share your setup for the cells. I was having part of my map be a separate jail facility, and I was going to recreate Doomkid's cells, with slight modification.

Doomkid said:

I'm keen to check out your map, MrEnchanter. Looks good based of the screenshot.

If you find them, I'd like to see them!

Found it, it was The Troopers' Playground, specifically TTPDEATH.WAD MAP02.

Space Waste is officially done!

Alrighty playtesting time, I just used the map 09 slot in the beta Doomkid posted earlier. The Midi was written by myself :D It's only single player UV compatible at the moment, will update accordingly when it has been tested.

Im going to keep adding details as time goes on however, as I feel some parts are a bit bland.

Also, keep your eyes peeled for something that doesn't quite belong ;)

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j64tax02lsgppge/1dmspace.wad?dl=0

I polished my map some more.
Wheel in the Sky version 4

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

Changes in wits_v4.wad:

- Added rotating lights and chairs.
- Made a few tiles missing and a couple lights flickering.
- Added displays in the computer core.

-----------------------------

Changes in wits_v3.wad:

- Swapped out the 2 cyberdemons for 4 wave gunners, which replace Commander
Keen in the Doomed in Space project.

-----------------------------

Changes in wits_v2.wad

- Fixed doors not opening in Odamex.

This will be the final version, unless somebody either points out a big problem or makes a great suggestion.

Crunchynut I noticed you are on Windows 7 or 8 and have both Chrome and Windows Media Player open. Do you see any performance impact in Doom Builder's 3D mode when you have such stuff open?

For me if I have just Windows Media Player open playing some MP3s it will impact the performance of the 3D mode, meaning it displays at a lower frame rate it would seem. It gets "laggy" for lack of a better word. Still able to edit pretty easy but as soon as I close WMP and go back in, it's so much faster and looks like 60 FPS. With WMP open, it looks more like 40.

Hmm, sorry I can't help you with that one as I don't experience any performance issues at all. However I do regulary purge unwanted processes in the task manager, that's about as extensive the advice I could give you im afraid.

Hmm... are you using AMD or Nvidia? What does Doom Builder 2 use to render the 3D mode? I don't think it's OpenGL (that's for GZDoom Builder).

I do know about the CPU timer thing but my PC is never on for more than a day straight. I also know Windows 7 has this strange lag that happens randomly when windows haven't been moved after a while and anything in the window is VERY laggy and unresponsive, moving the window even just a tad fixes it. This might be a problem that only I have... again.

The lag I have is for sure coming from having something like WMP open while mapping.

Nevander said:

What does Doom Builder 2 use to render the 3D mode? I don't think it's OpenGL (that's for GZDoom Builder).

Both Doom Builder 2 and GZDoom Builder use DirectX for the 3D mode.

The 3D mode lagging usually can be solved by rebooting the computer. For some reason, the longer time the computer is being used without rebooting, the more the 3D mode lags.

scifista42 said:

Both Doom Builder 2 and GZDoom Builder use DirectX for the 3D mode.

The 3D mode lagging usually can be solved by rebooting the computer. For some reason, the longer time the computer is being used without rebooting, the more the 3D mode lags.

Yea I read about that, but this lag is different. I did some testing just now and there's not a single setting in the preferences that affects it and it can happen after a fresh boot.

WMP open and playing an MP3 - Doom Builder 2 lags. Even menus and dropdowns have a bit of lag to them.

Close WMP - all lag gone.

WMP and Firefox open - lags. Close both - all lag gone.

I'm so confused. This has been an issue since I installed DB2.

EDIT: Also, what's the normal size for the CFG file DB2 makes? Mine was 250 KB and I deleted it and remade it fresh and it's 74 KB now.

^I took a look at the map - it possible to jump to skip parts of it. Specifically the outdoor parts where after hitting the switch to lower the YK you are meant to go back down the serpentine road to collect it. Also, in the sewer map obake make you can jump at the start to hit a switch.

NeedHealth said:

^I took a look at the map - it possible to jump to skip parts of it. Specifically the outdoor parts where after hitting the switch to lower the YK you are meant to go back down the serpentine road to collect it. Also, in the sewer map obake make you can jump at the start to hit a switch.

Who actually jumps in DooM, seriously man?

Anyway, jumping is not intented as per Doomkids guidelines. This is probably a good cue for him to disable jumping :D

Also what did you think of the map, appropriate for an opener?

Crunchynut44 said:

Anyway, jumping is not intented as per Doomkids guidelines. This is probably a good cue for him to disable jumping :D

Doomkid said:

Please DO NOT make jumping mandatory in your map, and make sure player can't jump across pits or bridges or whatever to skip parts of your map!

Plus, I have some secrets that require jumping, but aren't a mandatory part of the map.

Okay I can't be the only person who detests jumping in Doom, unless the WAD is based on Zdoom compatibility I guess.

I also misread the second line and thought he was talking about straferunning, that is what I consider as jumping haha.

Damn this also means Space Waste is broken at parts also, grr.

Will fix it later :D

Crunchynut44 said:

Okay I can't be the only person who detests jumping in Doom, unless the WAD is based on Zdoom compatibility I guess.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I rarely jump in Doom as well (likewise with Mouselooking), but I figured I might as well throw out some extra stuff. It's nothing like equipment caches or anything, just scenic spots that are textured out in the event you do jump up there, as opposed to HOMing when you get there.

Hey dudes, just popping in here from work to say the OP maplist is totally outdated, just ignore it for now - submissions are still open and welcome from anyone! Happy to have you on board, Officer, and Shogun joins the party as well.

You can PM me here, drop me an email or hop into #dmstuff on irc.quakenet.org. Those are my main methods of contact :)

Really love your maps, Crunchynut - Great use of textures and I really like your original piece, it really sets the tone. Definitely very immersive stuff. The only absolutely tiny complaint I have is the scale - the bed and toilet are insanely large, if you could scale them to about the size I had in my old map01, that would be swell. That one absolutely minuscule detail aside, I loved them.

Jon, I meant to say this before, but that wad is perfect for inspiration, to any of you out there needing a creative jolt. That's some damn fine sci-fi vibeage!

Alls going well so far, gonna have the satellite and other custom textures tiling properly in Odamex soon, gonna fix up the chaingun/SSG pickup sprite, and iron out a few other little things in the next week or so.

Good stuff!

Easy fix Doomkid, I will update that when I also get some more issue reports.

Is it satisfying as an opener for you? I just want to make sure as things can easily be changed accordingly to your direction :)

Also, I feel as though both maps are perhaps too abstract and not literal representations of specific space-like things. Is this something you weren't looking for?