Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lila Feuer

How about a top ten worst FPS?

DeathevokatioN said:

Also, Unreal is amazing and if you don't like it then you're wrong and should feel bad.

While I'm obviously a total fanboy for it I can understand why some people wouldn't like it. This thread seems to of gone into a circle jerk territory of subjective opinion of what's good and what's horrible as opposed to the early portion of the thread that actually had bad games, objective or otherwise.

I love everything about unreal, it's like a work of art because it had beautiful scenarios sorrounded by mystery, weird weapons, good level design and a very inspiring soundtrack, the fact that you were some prisoner on an unknown alien planet made me feel really curious about it and as the story develops you come across some surprises.

The game is also very challenging, I still love every aspect of this game, well obviously the graphics are outdated so I play with a high res texture mod, but to me there was no difference back then, because the graphics were amazing for that time.

Xerge said:

I love everything about unreal, it's like a work of art because it had beautiful scenarios sorrounded by mystery, weird weapons, good level design and a very inspiring soundtrack, the fact that you were some prisoner on an unknown alien planet made me feel really curious about it and as the story develops you come across some surprises.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't know why it doesn't get recognized more today as opposed to its much more popular Tournament series. It's probably for me the richest SP FPS experience I've played that I actually gave a shit about and didn't get in the way with cutscenes or whatever and ultimately wasn't much more than the shoot things, solve some puzzles and get out of the place you're in formula like so many 90s shooters yet somehow pulls it off in a way that feels fresh and exciting, while using the simple yet effective seamless progressive narrative driven gameplay like HL. I altogether just like it's universe way more than HL. I'm tempted to say having done my 5th completion recently that it may be my #1 FPS as far as a 3D 90s shooter is concerned. The 2.5D honor goes to Doom.

AnonimVio said:

5.Half-Life 2 - Such a letdown, first Half-Life was amazing. Second one though was boring af, it had unskippable cutscenes and it felt like a tech-demo.

I liked episode 2 though .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I liked episode 2 though .

I don't mind Half-Life 2 or its episodes...

But IMHO Half-Life 1 and Black Mesa are just WAY better (and yes I know Black Mesa is a remake.)

The problem with Unreal is that it takes an interesting concept and makes it a chore to play. Simple as that.

Anyway...

Honestly, ACM could've used 6 more months in the oven. Even with extensive patching, it's still something of a mess. The real problem though is that it's just so... average. It's like a discount Call of Duty at times and that just doesn't fit with the setting.

As far as DNF, though -- I really, legitimately, genuinely do not understand why people think it's a bad game. Because it isn't. After 15 years of self-sustaining hype there was no way it was gonna have gold-plated hookers pop out of our monitors to do physics to our crotches, but it's a decent game in its own right. It's not like Duke3D was some pinnacle of game design, because it really isn't. I'm not sure 3DR quite knew what they were doing with Duke3D and just got really lucky. DNF is a post-Half-Life FPS, we all knew it was going to be like that. It plays perfectly fine, despite feeling like a weird stratum of FPS gaming history 1996-2006. (You can tell the feature creep stopped before Call of Duty 4 because it doesn't feel at all like CoD, it feels more like Halo.)

Cyanosis said:

Exactly my thoughts. I don't know why it doesn't get recognized more today as opposed to its much more popular Tournament series. It's probably for me the richest SP FPS experience I've played that I actually gave a shit about and didn't get in the way with cutscenes or whatever and ultimately wasn't much more than the shoot things, solve some puzzles and get out of the place you're in formula like so many 90s shooters yet somehow pulls it off in a way that feels fresh and exciting, while using the simple yet effective seamless progressive narrative driven gameplay like HL. I altogether just like it's universe way more than HL. I'm tempted to say having done my 5th completion recently that it may be my #1 FPS as far as a 3D 90s shooter is concerned. The 2.5D honor goes to Doom.

It also had a lot of memorable moments, this was one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82O6jjW2JGU

I remember thinking "Freedom!" I don't know why, but the game really got me into the shoes of the prisoner and throughout the whole game I imagined his only goal was to get out of there alive and be a free a man again, that's basically it, of course there's more to it as the story develops which gives the whole thing a deeper meaning, I really liked what they did there, because I wasn't expecting that at all.

I imagined the main character as someone who had enlisted and had military training at some point of his life, but I never came up with any theory for the reason he got imprisoned, I think it's cool to leave that a mystery, all you know is that he made a big mistake at some point of his life, what you do on that planet is a redemption.

I always dug Unreal and found it to be one of the more unique first-person shooter games, at least from the classic era. I like that the combat is a little more precious and spread out rather than swarmy, as much as I obviously appreciate that too. The atmosphere is also great. Actually, I love playing Botmatch on it the most, oddly enough; moreso than I enjoy any Unreal Tournament game. Something about the loose, anarchic weapons, AI, and atmosphere was just more appealing to me, I guess.

Fuck it, I play a lot of bad games in my spare time so I'll contribute a list of shit FPS games I played.

Depth Dwellers: gameplay is like bad Wolf 3D with sound effects that are nothing short of awful and walls made of random nonsensical .jpegs of household objects. It is a mess and I love to hate it.

Rouge Warrior: Entire Korean squads walk into walls as your bad man hardcase navy seal says fuck every 5 seconds. It has the lovable charm of being unaware it sucks and tries to be a real game sometimes making it B roll material.

Jeff The Killer: Like most other FPS creator engine games, this sack of crappypasta pandering ass just sucks eggs through a straw in every aspect as you battle .jpegs and spiders that literally pop into existance. Like every FPS creator abomination it is not worth time.

Legendary: Die, die and die again. This near impossible FPS will fuck you through your pants and leave you empty inside. Not funny, not fun, not worth it.

Crysis 2: For me, Crysis 2 lingered on the line of unfunctional mess and boring as fuck shooter. Bugs involving getting checkpoints in the abyss with infinite death respawns, vehicles that bugged me and NPCs into Oblivion and possessed grenades that would chase me around. Crysis certaily does not run on the 360.

Metro (any of em): Another game that people loved that turned into a fucked and broken mess for me. Deep down in all those bugs there may be a game lost in there, fuck if I know.

Island of the Dead (that the name?): I absolutely love gangbang corner rape in a substandard FPS on par with Depth Dwellers, fuckin love it. Isle of the Dead sucks balls, I died for firing an empty rifle at a wall and got rekt by 10 zombies at the first hurdle (the rest sucks too).

Extreme paintbrawl: It doesn't work and the soundtrack is on acid, the build engine likes to forget this one.

Time Ramesside/a New Reckoning: my friend got gifted this once and he made me play it... Hahahahahahaha it needs to be seen to be believed.

And the worst is:

Galactic hitman, but we already know about that so fuck sayin a word.

Island of the Dead? Please tell me Dead Island is not what you mean, cause that game was amazing,although its like a L4D ripoff, its still amazing.

Voros said:

although its like a L4D ripoff

Beyond the intended 4-person gameplay, not in the slightest.

dethtoll said:

Beyond the intended 4-person gameplay, not in the slightest.

But what about all those different types of zombies?
I'm not saying it IS a ripoff, just that its amazing.

1. Call of Duty Ghosts (how can they release the same dull campaign over and over)

2. Blood 2 (What happened?)

3. Killzone Shadow Fall (starts okay, really falls apart. Rushed for PS4 launch)

4. Daikatana (hate to beat up the usual suspect, but I find it really bad)

5. Chrome (just boring)

6. Halo (boring. But I did enjoy Halo 3)

7. Unreal II (Did this even exist? And I had this.)

8. Chaser (a lot of 2003 on this list, boring year for FPS games I guess)

9. Crysis (just not very fun, nothing about it worked for me.)

10. Far Cry (wasn't feeling this one either)

There are of course even worse FPS games that are so bad I haven't played them, I think this applies to most of our lists. Some shovelware games must be worse, but in some ways generic AAA games are even more boring at times than funny shovelware.

I also love plenty of games on other people's lists, and I'm sure somebody loves a couple games on this list too.

1) Medal of Honor (a new one) : tried to rip-off CoD and failed.

2) Medal of honor: Warfighter : tried to rip-off CoD and failed, again.

3) Call of Duty: Ghosts : the worst CoD and that's saying something.

4) Call of Duty: Black Ops III : super bad PC optimisation!

5) Serious Sam II : too cartoonish.

6) Blood II : bad graphics, many bugs.

7) Postal III : shit.

8) Doom 3: BFG Edition : very bad rerelease.

9) Half-Life: Source : same as 8.

10) Wolfenstein: The New Order : didn't run on my computer.

A lot of these don't even seem like "Bad Games" per say and seem more like a "Games I don't like list." Anything in a worst of list I imagine should be dull, filled with bugs, or borderline unplayable.

Like Paint Brawl and Daikatana tier games.

ChekaAgent said:

Nah, I was just kidding. Just didn't know what to put on 10th place.

*cough cough* Duke Nukem Forever *cough cough*

I don't know if I'd call Duke Nukem Forever a terrible game overall. More... disappointing. I honestly can't come up with 10 FPSes I would consider legitimately terrible. The only one I can think of that wasn't already brought up is Resistance: Ethnic Cleansing. Not only was it a terribly racist and stereotypical game, it's just a bad game period.

Voros said:

But what about all those different types of zombies?

That's hardly a new or original trope that L4D somehow invented. Even if we ignore the several varieties present in the Half-Life series, Plants vs Zombies had plenty, that old Land of the Dead budget game (which wasn't half-bad) had 'em, hell even fantasy RPGs sometimes change it up a bit.

DoomzRules said:

*cough cough* Duke Nukem Forever *cough cough*

See this post for why calling it a bad game is a bit shortsighted.

In no order.

10: Duke Nukem Forever
- See below.

09: Shogo
- Cool idea. Too bad the level design is asinine, they forget to program the AI, and it's more bug ridden than a hooker's ass.

08: Blood 2
- One of the worst sequels to a game for me to this day. Also it manages to take everything wrong with Shogo and magnify it by 10x, and throws in some voice acting that would make Resident Evil blush. I hope Jace Hall has fucking nightmares about releasing Blood 2 to this day.

07: Iron Storm
- Unfair, clunky and ultimately dull and ugly garbage. Want to learn how NOT to make an FPS? Play Iron Storm. This game's AI is trying to one up Shogo. Cool setting idea though.

06: Postal 2
- Liked it as a teenager. Grew up and now find it too juvenile for my tastes. But besides that, the game itself is clunky, ugly, and has gunplay that makes Deus Ex's looks like an action packed Micheal Bay flick. I also can't stand the protagonist.

05: FEAR 3
- Co-op focused. Fucks the story right into the trash, feels more like Call of Duty: Paranormal Ops, as it's the same exact formula as a CoD SP mission. To top it off, capped at 30 FPS. Did Carpenter do ANYTHING on this project?

04: Unreal 2
- Another sequel to a game not made by the original developer. Took everything that made Unreal stick out and be fun, and flipped it to be boring, uninspired, run of the mill garbage. Took the silent female protag, and made you play a bald space marine in goofy power armor instead. The whole time playing this it just felt like it wanted to be Halo so badly. Like DNF, another game that was physically draining to play. Finished it once and threw it in the trash.

03: Quake 2
- I decided to revisit Quake 2 a week or so ago. I had not played it in years, and was ready to re-visit some great memories with my fresh new GOG copy. I regret this decision as now being older and having the standards I set for myself this game is the definition of bland, and EASY. I played through in about a day on Hard and didn't die once. That power armor absolutely breaks the game. This is also one of the most unbalanced id games I think they ever made. I <3 the Strogg though, but I will never play Quake 2 again, and it saddened me to realize how... boring and bland Quake 2 is.

02: Redneck Rampage
- I hate how it looks. I hate how it plays. I hate how it sounds. I HATE its level design. I fucking hate this game.

01: Rise of the Triad
- The 2013 release. The original game is okay at best, but this re-visit was not what I had in mind. Instead of innovating they just gave us the same "okay" game with updated visuals. This project just clashes with itself way too many times for me to find it enjoyable and it has an amateurish streak to it. A more proper way to bring a game back is Shadow Warrior in my opinion. The first purchase in a while I actually feel myself wanting my money back.

Honorable mentions: NAM, WW2 GI, Everything Crapstone ever made, All those dreadful Painkiller "sequels" not made by People Can Fly, all those obvious garbage shovelware games like Isle of the Dead, Depth Dwellers and Mobile Forces, Super Noah's Ark 3D, NecroVision, GORE Ultimate Soldier, Honestly I could go on and probably make a top 50.

dethtoll said:

See this post for why calling it a bad game is a bit shortsighted.

So what? How does that not make it a bad game?

The character is archaic and pathetic, the humor is dated references and memes, the gunplay is as dull as a bag of rocks, the level design is a straight line of mediocrity. DNF was the first game in a long time that actually made me feel exhausted trying to get through it. There is not ONE INTERESTING THING about that game. It's garbage. They put out of a boring shitty product with a tiring history, all there is to it.

At least with trash like say, Blood 2, you can laugh at all the bugs, absurd balance issues, voice acting, and see some cool ideas. What can you gather from DNF? Fucking nothing. Dust. Bland games are almost worse than absurd/buggy bad games because the only thing they make you feel is BOREDOM.

You can't be mad at people for dissing DNF. Especially when they gave us that complete bullshit fake 2001 trailer, that a modder managed to re-create using the Build engine for FREE.

Edit-wrong thread! Should've have posted that in the top 10 BEST FPS thread.

Why don't we keep CoD out of these lists and concentrate more on the others, since we all seem to agree CoD games tend to be boring/bad.

Fuzzyfireball said:

What can you gather from DNF? Fucking nothing. Dust.

You're entitled to your opinion, but other people do like it. I love it. But yeah, the point of the topic is to just list the worst games to you, somebody will like some games on everybody's lists because it's highly subjective.

ChekaAgent said:

7) Postal III : shit.

It's very bad indeed, it's not an FPS though.

Voros said:

7- Wolf 3D
Calm down. I only don't like the lack of strafing, modding, and bobbing. And its worthless point system.

There is modding though, since the late 90 and to this very day.

Voros said:

2- Doom
All these mods. Brutal Doom, mega maps, campaigns, weapons, monsters, and so on.

If Doom made it so high on your list then why are you on this site? Everything you listed there you can completely ignore and focus on playing the stuff you like. I don't care for most of the stuff that's made for G/ZDoom, but that doesn't mean there isn't a metric fuckton of vanilla maps for me to enjoy.

Fuzzyfireball said:

I hope Jace Hall has fucking nightmares about releasing Blood 2 to this day.

I think he does.

Cyanosis said:

If Doom made it so high on your list then why are you on this site? Everything you listed there you can completely ignore and focus on playing the stuff you like.

You can tell from the post that it's a top 10 favs list, he must've posted in the wrong topic by accident.