Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Most Skilled Doom Players (At Specific Things)

Two-shotting: Hmm, TimeofDeath and koren are probably the best I've seen. If I ever learn how to TAS, it'd be to make a parody map/demo where TimeofDeath two-shots cybers at ridiculous angles involving ducking behind a wall while simultaneously platforming on narrow pillars.

FDA survival: Demon of the Well is the best I've seen. I haven't watched enough of the FDA contests to say who's best at FDA speed, however. Though it could be . . .

BFG spamming: Ancalagon, hands down.

Maxing insanely hard maps: j4rio and Ancalagon for sure.

Reality: ToD again. This might be by default because I'm not sure who else even does it a lot, but it's pretty reasonable given his sick dodging skills.

Overall: Hmm, I guess ancal/j4rio/ToD are the triumvirate of elite. Okupluk would be up there too before he went awol, especially in the projectile-dodging and reality categories (latter implied by former).

Anyway, post your opinions. You can make up your own categories too, of course, as long as they aren't silly like "fighting cacodemons on Thursday on Map17s".

kraflab said:

Ever heard of vile or looper? :^)

Like, duh, bro. Anyway, changed "speedrunning tough maps" to "maxing insanely hard maps" for clarity. I'm not going to comment on skills I don't watch a lot of, e.g. non-max runs and Compet-N stuff.

Just closed. It was probably a bit worse than this one, but I'd attribute that to capo's general presence.

Trashtalk: capodecima. He's an artist.

TAS Max: Andy Olivera is obviously the king here with incredibly optimized and spectacular demos. Maybe vdgg too, to be honest I don't think I'm qualified to compare their demos so I'm only going by the fact that Andy has been doing them for a longer time (in other words, he's probably more experienced?).

High-effort TAS Speed: Looper did some amazing stuff with innovative tricks and tight optimization. xepop's Doom 2 wip also looks gorgeous so far. I don't know, again I'm not sure how to compare TAS players because I've only done like one or two such demos.

Low-effort TAS Speed: Azuruish is able to produce lots of demos in a short time, in my opinion they can be quite entertaining. It is maybe a question of patience more than skill, but still he deserves a mention i think.

Coop survival: Ancalagon almost always survives till the end of the map despite playing quite aggressively. And he does all that crazy stuff with 300+ ping, which is just unbelievable. Sometimes I even wonder if ping measurement works correctly for him.

Max optimisation: SAV88, no contest I think. With almost every demo he goes way beyond what other people would stop at.

Best keyboarder: maybe SAV88 too but it's hard to tell since we only get to see his very best performances. Ryback definitely deserves a mention for his Nightmare demos, and vdgg for his Tyson demos.

kuchitsu said:

Low-effort TAS Speed: Azuruish is able to produce lots of demos in a short time, in my opinion they can be quite entertaining. It is maybe a question of patience more than skill, but still he deserves a mention i think.

Yay! I'm here. I spent year to deserve such place :D
Anyway I'm only one who makes a lot UV-MAX/UV-FAST on Slaughter maps. But actually yeah... I'm putting much less efforts in demos.

For High-effort TAS Speed I can add 'ClumsyDoomer' and 'Akse' here. Skill of these guys are really impressive.
I love watch 'Light_Speed' demos but can't decided about how much efforts in these demos.

dew said:

Trashtalk: capodecima. He's an artist.

But that's not a player skill, same way mapping isn't a player skill.

I'm pretty good at save scumming and conserving pickups, but that's not very interesting.

I'm not the best at anything, just a jack of all Doom trades.. Deathmatch, survival, Ctf, mapping both co-op and duel stuff, server admin-ing, MIDI composing, sprite edits, sound edits and so forth. I know some absolutely fantastic players and mappers, though. Some people are so familiar with their favourite slice of the "Doom pie", it's really impressive stuff.

i remarked sav88's dedication to optimize his demos to a degree few players have the patience for. also for best keyboard only player, or one of them (gggmork also caught my attention with his funny 180° turns i haven't seen with other keyboarders)

j4rio and ancalagon for going through the most difficult maps. j4rio dodges monsters in a phone booth.

as for 2-shotting, tod's map16 of 50shades is centered around this technique, and he makes it look casual.

32 map runs: zero-master for knowing doom2 nm in his sleep, and the first one to go through plutonia nm in one piece.

as for fda, i've watched demon of the well's demos whenever he provided some for the club, even lengthy ones, for their entertainment value, but also because he survives everything (as someone said during the sunlust playthrough) by efficient and intelligent play. i used to rush into whatever and die several times until i knew my way through a map, while he just makes it look effortless. and writing skills, if this counts.

wait, memfis is now kuchitsu?

Tyson: I'd like someone to amend/revise this one, because I don't watch a ton of this (and maybe the guys who punch out cybers on E2M8 or whatever win by default?), but j4rio and Cyberdemon531 really impress me.

I only watch a narrow swath of Doomers, but the two that immediately come to my mind would be Tatsurdcacocaco (his Alien Vendetta and Epic 2 UV-Maxes were godlike, in my eyes) and TheV1perK1ller (his recent playthroughs of Bloodstain and Demon Eclipse were amusing and very satisfying to watch).