Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Best Old-School FMV Cut Scenes

I used to love the live-action cut scenes used for many games on consoles such as Sega CD, 3D0, Playstation, and Saturn.

My personal favorite come from Road Rash. I had it for Playstation, and I always thought the FMVs were the best part of it.

None can top the king of camp, none other than the original Resident Evil intro. I won't bother posting a video, you already know well enough. Although if it didn't fall through, I imagine 3DO Doom's FMVs would've been nearly equal.

GTA2 had an 8 minute long live action promo video made for it. It was drastically cut down for the version they used for the actual game intro. Apparently the main actor in it has since become quite prolific in British crime TV series.

Off-World Interceptor on 3DO, PSX and Saturn seemed to realize how campy most FMV sequences were. They featured two unknown guys giving MST3K style commentary over them.

My vote is Killing Time in general: apart from the intro and outro, all the FMV stuff is in the game world, so gameplay isn't disrupted. You can walk away from each "scene" anytime to kill it. The actors were also pretty good, compared to the usual FMV game fare -- soap opera quality rather than high school musical quality.

In fact, all the monsters are a form of FMV as well: actors in costumes with movie blood squibs, or stopmotion puppets. I feel like it's the one FMV game that did it right.

Anyone remember Crusader No Remorse? That had some very Robocop-esk cut scenes.

And if CGI is to be included I say Dark Colony needs an honorable mention.

Scuba Steve said:

Those Jedi Knight cutscenes were incredible in 1997. It felt like watching a new Star Wars film.

Christopher Neame was quite excellent as the villain. He seemed to relish the role.

Chezza said:

Anyone remember Crusader No Remorse? That had some very Robocop-esk cut scenes.

And if CGI is to be included I say Dark Colony needs an honorable mention.

The whole game just oozes RoboCop and that's what's so damn great about it. Ultra violent and just tongue-in-cheek enough.

Ralphis said:

Twisted Metal 2 Endings

Hell yes.

Mechazawa said:

PS. Is there a guide on all the stuff you can do on this forum? Such as embedding videos?

Change https to http and it should work fine. On zdoom forums it's a little trickier and you'll have to read the stickied thread about how to do it.

Scuba Steve said:

Those Jedi Knight cutscenes were incredible in 1997. It felt like watching a new Star Wars film.

I remember *THRUSTING* his head on a *SPIKE* for all to see.