Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breeder

Brutal Zdoom?

I remember back when Brutal DOOM 20 just came out, I was able to get it to run under Zdoom on my Pi 2, though a little bit slowly at times.

Now that I've over clocked my Pi 2 some more, and also have a couple Pi 3's on the way, I have been curious how well Brutal DOOM would perform now.

Sadly it seems that Brutal DOOM, while not intended to work with Zdoom, doesn't work with it at all any more. I can use v19, but it does not play well with Freedoom.

What I am wondering is if a version could be made, if if some small tweaks could be applied, that make it Zdoom friendly again, and more than that, remove some of the resource hungry effects such as when the barrels explode, so as not to over burden low end systems like the Pi.

VGA said:

Why, doesn't GZDoom work on the Pi 2?

No OpenGL, only GLES atm. Though we have a OpenGL beta atm.

Arctangent said:

What.

Brutal Doom is for Zandronum and GZDoom. OpenGL needed in other words.

EDIT: Zandronum 2.0, GZDoom 1.8 or higher.

GZDoom is a fork of ZDoom, but standard ZDoom should work fine.

Breeder said:

Sadly it seems that Brutal DOOM, while not intended to work with Zdoom, doesn't work with it at all any more.

Funny , Brutal Doom is intended to work with ZDoom only (and ports based on it such as GZDoom and Zandronum) .

MaxED said:

Yep, doesn't work at all (ZDoom 2.9 + BD 20b):
http://i.imgur.com/MHOkzDs.jpg

seems fine to me, sans the blood splats given they're 3D models. which isn't a huge loss to me (though i'd wonder why Mark never bothered to add in sprite-based blood for software renderer.)

I can't run it, I get an error about the blood.txt and I'm on the latest Brutal as well as Zdoom.

I can get the exact error when I get back home.

Yeah, there are 2 identical errors in BLOOD.txt you'll need to fix, then it will work fine in both ZDoom and GZDoom.

Do you mean latest as in official release or latest as in dev builds? Because dev builds are not to be used as of late, too many issues due to DECORATE being heavily restructured.

Zdoom is software based, GZDoom is OpenGL based, so that's why Brutal Doom dosen't perform so well in ZDoom and that's because it was designed to use OpenGL features, such as dynamic lights for gun muzzleflashes and blood splats.

J.B.R said:

Zdoom is software based, GZDoom is OpenGL based, so that's why Brutal Doom dosen't perform so well in ZDoom and that's because it was designed to use OpenGL features, such as dynamic lights for gun muzzleflashes and blood splats.

But if you fix the errors then it will run in ZDoom without the 3d stuff and the dynamic lights. So it will probably run better.

It says:

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Bad hex number: no
Script error, "brutal.pk3:blood.txt" line 602:
Expected ',', got 'l'.

I am running Zdoom 2.8.1 on my Raspberry Pi 2 which I got through their download service so I want to stick wit the version every other Pi user would be on.

I am more familiar with mapping than editing things and what not in ZDOOM, so while I can open up slade and blood.txt, I have no freaking clue what I am looking for beyond the line #. :)

Can someone assist me here. I want to strip this of anything that prevents it to error, or causes major light flare or slow downs in software mode. Yes I know it's coolers in GL, but please, bare with me here. I think it also looks cool in Software mode and just like the idea of having it on the Pi also! :)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

brutal.pk3 ? where did you get it from ?

It's and older release of 20, maybe a beta. I forgot that was in there. Either way it reports out the same as brutal20b.pk3

Breeder said:

It says:

LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Bad hex number: no
Script error, "brutal.pk3:blood.txt" line 602:
Expected ',', got 'l'.

This is something that needs to be fixed in the mod itself. See this thread for more info on this matter.