Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Any WADs that show the power of ZDoom?

I was looking for some ZDoom format maps to play but I don't know where to start and I only know a few like KDiZD so I need some suggestions.

Isn't KDiZD mod? Also, most of the projects extensively using ZDoom features happen to be mods.

One of my favorites, and it's definitely one that shows how far you can go with ZDoom. The map itself is so large that at the moment only ZDoom and ports derived from it could feasibly load it (you couldn't convert it to a format readable by other ports without cutting out large parts of it); it demonstrates a variety of ZDoom effects including stacked sectors, 3D floors, polyobjects, colored lighting, scripting, custom monsters, custom weapons, and more.

Jellyman1303 said:

I was looking for some ZDoom format maps to play but I don't know where to start and I only know a few like KDiZD so I need some suggestions.

My friend Toxie Rock's map from the Doomworld Mega Project 2014 is an awesome experience. It is my favorite of the zdoom maps in that particular set. The idgames page for the zdoom portion is here:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/zdmp2014
(Toxie's map is 07, I believe.)

Jellyman1303 said:

Aren't those mods?

Not pure gameplay mods if that's what you mean - although they modify monster/weapon behavior and/or introduce their own unique ones, they also all feature their own maps created and balanced out specifically for those gameplay changes, and these maps are exactly what you're supposed to play when playing these wads. These wads are best to be referred to as total conversions or partial conversions. Actually - single maps, mapsets, gameplay mods and TCs/PCs all fall under the broad category "mods".

One of the bigger ZDoom mapsets that hasn't been mentioned yet is The Ultimate Torment and Torture, though that edges on the side of partial conversion. Although it uses ZDoom in more subtle ways, I'll give a tentative recommendation to Ultimate Simplicity as well. Just be aware that it suffers a bit from the mid-2000's "corridor-fest" syndrome (it's more interesting than others of it's ilk from that era, but it's not for everyone), and that the final boss is fairly bullshit.

Jellyman1303 said:

Aren't those mods?

Well, Action Doom 2, Adventures of square and Harmony use their standalone IWADs .

Winter's Fury and Insanity's Edge.
Also anything by Tormentor667, seconding ZDCMP2's greatness.
Also, there's ZPack, whose sole purpose is showing the greatness of ZDoom. :P

Ven said:

Winter's Fury and Insanity's Edge.
Also anything by Tormentor667, seconding ZDCMP2's greatness.
Also, there's ZPack, whose sole purpose is showing the greatness of ZDoom. :P

Speaking of zpack, a few maps come to mind:

-Skillsaw's e3m8

-Vader's maps (e1m7-8, e1m0, e3m7 and i think e1m3 in colab with tormentor667).

And other ones that are quite nice too :)

Also, I guess eternal doom IV (only a demo, probably abandonned at this point) counts as showcasing what is possible in zdoom. Map 27 for example is just breathtaking in the visual department.

Good Thread!

Are there any that makes HEAVY use of the expanded monster and weapons packs, and also manage to be fun to play map wise as well?

I'll have to second pcorf's post.

They don't really use and abuse ZDoom to extreme levels, but they definitely showcase what you can do with that engine.

There are some Nice levels designed for Zandronum Zombie Horde, you should try them out, Ice caves, Jungles ... etc, while not all of them are great, some are really Eye candy .

Let's not forget that winter's fury is gzdoom compatible. It will not launch in software mode.

But yeah, it's awesome.

Albertoni said:

I'll have to second pcorf's post.

They don't really use and abuse ZDoom to extreme levels, but they definitely showcase what you can do with that engine.

Not so much scripting and there are no Polyobjects. But plenty of other features used such as colored lighting, reverb, 3D floors and more.

Gratuitous self promition for The Gateway Experiements. Episode one won a "Cacoward" (ie before they were called Cacowards) in 2003, and the follow-up episode five was a runner up in 2015. Linked package includes both episodes, but requires GZDoom. It's a story-based mapset, with RPG elements and taking gameplay inspiration from Metroid Prime and Dark Souls while still keeping its foot firmly in Doom territory.

Seems people have also forgotten a 2015 Cacoward winner already - Skulldash, which requires you to collect things within a time limit to be able to finish maps.

Also on the subject of Cacoward winners - Pirate Doom.

pcorf said:

Doomed Space Wars

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/spacwars

For Doom 2 = Zdoom only maps.

Star Wars-inspired levels with original dramatic orchestral music all created by me. It contains 9 enormous levels plus 3 equally big secret levels and 10 deathmatch levels.

Dat self promotion xD

But I second it since it's actually tons of fun and it uses zdoom features while still keeping a rather clasic doom feel :D

GooberMan said:

Seems people have also forgotten a 2015 Cacoward winner already - Skulldash, which requires you to collect things within a time limit to be able to finish maps.

Important to note that this is zandronum only. But yeah, it's still worth playing ;)