Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esayeek

suggest me a map editor

deth has clobbered my map 5 times in an hour or so.
wadauthor cannot select certain sectors, particularly those in an L shape (and i need to be able to select all sectors).
xwe can not select more than one object at once.
all versions of dck i've tried wont even start, and even if they did i need something that runs under windoze (usb mouse).
i forget exactly what it did wrong, but dmapedit died.
edmap only utilizes conventional memory (didnt try it, but i'm 101% sure it wouldn't have room for my level)
i think Vermulen charging $30 for deepsea is a bit high, but liveable, but charging previous owners $15 for upgrades is inexcusable. if i had bought deep last time i kind of sort of felt like it, i would be paying $20 now to upgrade to windoze and boom support.

ideas?

I actually use enormously dated WinDEU v5.99b.

It has a few bugs, to put it mildly, the major one being that if you're searching the texture list on the linedef properties menu, it'll often crash.
If you instead use the 'view wall textures' option from the menus, then you'll find it to be a fairly nice program that can handle every aspect of map editing.

I'm not sure about the other ones (although I do use DCK constantly), but I do know about that problem with WadAuthor. For one thing, it doesn't zoom in close enough for me to use microsectors (2x2, etc) at all. However, if you're having problems selecting certain sectors, try hitting the 'S' key. This changes to sector mode, meaning it will only highlight sectors and not things or lines. To change modes, just hit 'L' for line mode, 'T' for thing mode, and 'N' for normal mode (can select anything).

Deepsea.

* for windows
* can easily create rooms
* very easy to import stuff.

wadauthor

* simple to use
* addicting to use
* lots of features.

thats my favorites, but I tend to use Deepsea more..

Spike said:

I actually use enormously dated WinDEU v5.99b.

It has a few bugs, to put it mildly, the major one being that if you're searching the texture list on the linedef properties menu, it'll often crash.
If you instead use the 'view wall textures' option from the menus, then you'll find it to be a fairly nice program that can handle every aspect of map editing.

hmm thanks let me try that!

Personally I use Deepsea. For me everything I need is in Deepsea and I never have to leave the editor. I've used Doomcad 6.1 and DETH in my earlier days of editing with no complaints. They did what they had to do. Other utilities that I've used...Zennode, RMB and BSP. Yes, I've paid the registration fee for Deepsea but for me it was well worth it. If Deepsea wasn't around I'd be using DETH for my regular editing and ZETH for my ZDoom maps.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Hah! Now you HAVE to buy DeePSea!
And I won't help you or save you, since DETH loves me.

Actually, since you know C and whatnot, you could leave aside that silly map for a while and contribute some help for the Why coder to make a cool open source editor.

myk said:

Hah! Now you HAVE to buy DeePSea!
And I won't help you or save you, since DETH loves me.

Actually, since you know C and whatnot, you could leave aside that silly map for a while and contribute some help for the Why coder to make a cool open source editor.

i downloaded why and looked at it the last time you told me to. i was considering making some check scripts (textures missing/sectors closed/unused refs xdup invalid (or whatever it is)/etc), but quite honestly, i don't feel like learning python. :(

Hey man- if worst comes to worst, you can always use the dreaded combination of Waded and Wadauthor (waded for dirt wadauthor for specials). Although as I remember, Waded freezes like a mo'fo and you can only make limited lines, although it's easy to draw... me? I use good'ol doomCAD, trying to adjust to deepsea but it'll take time. Scriptin, Zdoom feutures, things i cant do in doomCAD, all go over to the hands of WadAuthor...

I going to be sending a letter to deep, cause i ain't got my registered deepsea yet, and i ordered it a while ago.

have any idea why wadauthor can't select certain sectors? i've found wadauthor to be quite buggy when working with other editors.

Hiya.

WadAuthor. I love it. Loved it since...uh, well, years and years and years and years. :)

I have had some installations just be plain ol' BAD! I'd open the program, put down a sector..CRASH! Move a Thing...CRASH! Go to change a wall texture...CRASH! Not good.

Then I've had installations be a solid as a rock! Maybe one crash every dozen sessions (sessions = 1-7 hours at a time).

If you find WadAuthor crashing too easily (even for Windows...), try re-installing it on another partition.

Oh, selecting: T, V, L, S, N. ;) Works like a charm.

Personally, I use WadAuthor and DeepSea. I like the "flow" and look of WadAuthor, and WadAuthor's built-in scripting is a BAZILLION times better than DeepSea's, IMO. I use DeepSea when I want to add lots of little niggling details and whatnot.

Esayeek: I have just released a new version of Why, which has improved the scripting part. I understand that learning Python seems like a lot of work, but it's really not. The syntax is very clean and easy to learn. In fact, Python is used in places to teach newbies programming.

And as the page http://www.hut.fi/u/jpakkane/why/ says, the more help I get from you people with scriptable things, the more I can focus on the more difficult stuff. (like improving the UI)

Pate said:

Esayeek: I have just released a new version of Why, which has improved the scripting part. I understand that learning Python seems like a lot of work, but it's really not. The syntax is very clean and easy to learn. In fact, Python is used in places to teach newbies programming.

And as the page http://www.hut.fi/u/jpakkane/why/ says, the more help I get from you people with scriptable things, the more I can focus on the more difficult stuff. (like improving the UI)

/me hugs pate.

i'll give it another look :)

I'm happy with DETH and ZETH myself, but as you know, I'm working on an editor, so this is a kind of pointless post :P

esayeek: The best thing to do is to use the object filter in WA. Pressing 's' selects sectors only, 'l' for linedefs, 'v' for vertices, 't' for things and 'n' for none. You may still have to zoom in for really small sectors, but you'll definitely be able to highlight them.

I used to have trouble with small sectors like that, until I discovered the object filter.

Personally I just use DeePsea, but then again im a dumbass, and 13, so i dunn kno very much bout the best editing files, but i just use DeePsea, but damnit, i gotta get money so i can register it...worse enuff im Canadian so i have to pay more..damn....where does my money go?

I use WadAuthor and will probably stay with it. I use Xwe to add in resorces. I think I might switch to why when it gets to a more finished state. (I really wanna try that multy sector splitting thing)

Shaviro said:

Wadauthor. It's simple, stabile and very easy to learn/use.

Oh, aye. That's what I use.

esayeek said:

wadauthor cannot select certain sectors, particularly those in an L shape (and i need to be able to select all sectors).

Yes it can. Go to view --> object filter and click the bubble for "sector."

And I use WA. It does everything I need it to, which is all I ask.

im using wad author to make my wads and when i try to run them using edge 1.27 and immoral conduct there always fucked up somehow missing sectors fucked up doors missing walls enemys get stuck in the walls they see through walls but when i run it on vannilla doom everything is there and perfect but the reason its bugging me is because i dont want to use the shitty vannilla doom cuz its old and it sucks lol. what the hell do i do?

Hiya.

Ty, as someone mentioned in another thread, if you are using edge or jdoom (and I think there's one other), make sure you are using GLBSP (or another GL-node-builder, if there is one). One thing Ive found out using jDOOM (jHexen,jHeretic) is that if my map is running fine, and not crashing on start...but I get wierd visual problems, chances are it's the GLnode build.

i like vannilla icecream cuz thats how i am lol and so vannilla flavored yummys are better because there perfect and mommy buys me some when we go to the mall, yes?

Somebody is going to have to throw down the gauntlet and write a stable, dependable editor that's at least portable to Windows.

I really do not want to have to do this myself, but my patience with the rest of the community to produce such a thing is expiring. I think it would be a shame for me to have to put aside Eternity to work on an editor, though.

I had hoped SoM's "meciya" would take this role but he's spent 99% of the last year and a half working on a GUI library instead of the editing facilities so I'm not exactly looking for that any time in the next 3 years (sorry SoM!).

Fredrik said:

I want Quasedit NOW!

Neat name, but I would tweak/derive the name to "Quasit"
I'd like to see that editor too.

Quasar: I'm writing one right now http://www.hut.fi/~jpakkane/why/

Please post or email your comments about it. To date I have received maybe 3 proper feedback mails. People bitch about not having a modern, free editor, but their response when offered one is less than underwhelming.