Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xeme

Overload

The creators of Descent have a Kickstarter for a spiritual successor project called "Overload". It is not Doom, however, if you enjoyed Descent or this era of gaming, please help them -- there are only a few days remaining.

The link to the Kickstarter is here.

The link to the official site is here.

MaxED said:

So now we have 3 Descent clones/remakes and still no Descent 3 remake/successor...

I did not know about Sublevel Zero; thanks! Unfortunately, I think Descent is gone... I just thought Overload was more "Descent" than any others.

Superluigieth1 said:

Hold on, what?

Er, that is a bit unclear. I posted this as a news submission; obviously, it did not take -- but, I thought it was worth a shot. Descent came a little after Doom, I am not sure how to explain it if you are unfamiliar with it. I think the idea was to take a first-person shooter and give you complete movement freedom. The level structure is different also, which the video on the kickstarter talks about some. What impacted me about this was that the original team was coming back together to do this... and I suppose, the music guy from Descent 2 is composing.

Graf Zahl said:

Let's hope this works out. Could be interesting.

Me too. Made a kickstarter account just for this. Actually, if you see the date that I made my Doomworld account -- I had to figure out what my password was in 2003 to get back into this account and post. Sorry, lots of lurking since then... =P

roadworx said:

well, now i know what descent is.
looks pretty cool :)

It is difficult to find an old game justice. I am leaving for work, I just found a multiplayer video to link here.

Here is some music. That is not sound blaster 16 though. It probably sounds weird if you have not heard it before... that's the best I can do atm, I risk getting fired =)

I get a more "descent" feel from this compared to Descent: underground, so I suppose these guys know what they are doing, the ships, gameplay and level design look much more familiar to me.

The only thing that bugs me is that the overall appearance seems too minimalistic and I don't really understand why they'd choose that appearance, you couldn't really make complex 3D models or add too much detail back then, but that has changed today, but if the point is on making a retro game then I understand, but I'd rather see them put more work into the details instead of just giving Descent high res textures and modern post processing effects, I think this has much more potential.

I remember descent had one of the most complex level designs back then, it was so easy to get lost, very challenging, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out my way out in many levels, but it was fun.

Also the music fit nicely.

Xerge said:

I get a more "descent" feel from this compared to Descent: underground, so I suppose these guys know what they are doing, the ships, gameplay and level design look much more familiar to me.

The only thing that bugs me is that the overall appearance seems too minimalistic and I don't really understand why they'd choose that appearance, you couldn't really make complex 3D models or add too much detail back then, but that has changed today, but if the point is on making a retro game then I understand, but I'd rather see them put more work into the details instead of just giving Descent high res textures and modern post processing effects, I think this has much more potential.

I remember descent had one of the most complex level designs back then, it was so easy to get lost, very challenging, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out my way out in many levels, but it was fun.

Also the music fit nicely.

All I can say is that it works for me, but I have a tendency to play these types of games more than anything modern. I am not sure what qualities are required in a game now, to be honest. I mean, yes, a singular objective of running to the exit or, in Descent's case, blowing up a reactor and exiting may not age well. Conversely, I think they tried to get away from that with Descent 3... but, I think that (generally) it was not well received as the former.

I miss those games where I could just jump in and start playing... and immediately begin working on some problem that was inherent to the level design, instead of a problem that was objective base. I suppose, at least I felt, Descent and Doom were not exactly linear... different paths and such... puzzles without instruction, etc. I am just speaking generally, of course, there is so much out there now.

I guess, that's my only argument... level design, which we have not witnessed yet. I am sure there will be new ideas. Perhaps I am too sentimental, though, it would bother me that the founders of 6DOF (6-degrees of freedom) would not be able to proceed... I mean, I am sure Overload will be made... but, what about successors to that. You are right though -- if it is not well-executed and people are not interested... maybe it does not matter.

Not that I want to argue about this, I know what happened has happened... but, I wonder about if id software was still "id software" -- so, basically what would have been made after Quake... and I suppose that feeling is represented with the "Doom the Way id Did" wads. What about if Apogee/3D Realms did not screw up Duke Nukem Forever... or made the Rise of the Triad sequel (I liked the new one, too bad it seems that only nerd like me played it).
There is a small team, that (seemingly) do not want to kill each other -- they just want to make games again... I really want to see how that goes, I suppose.

I think "potential" is definitely a good word for it!

The public demo is out, go get it! Link

This was a short thread, but, thanks for giving it some though. Please try the demo and give some thought to supporting the kickstarter.

If you are unable to pledge, please at least support via social media. Thanks again!
Facebook
Twitter (#playoverload)
Youtube

The original team behind Descent is making a spiritual successor on Kickstarter. Their Kickstarter has gathered 277000 out of 300000 and has 6 hours to go! Help bring the game to life by donating!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revivalprod/overload-the-ultimate-six-degree-of-freedom-shoote/description

Also, here is another spiritual successor called Sol Contingency!

http://www.sol-contingency.com/

Looks like they made it :) New playable teaser available as well.

Had a quick play, and it feels more like the original Descent than Descent3 did, very nice.

So how far has anyone got during Challenge Mode? My highest was 263 kills on Normal in the caverns.