Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
capodecima

Moving from IRC to discord?

Maybe you heard about new app discord ( discordapp.com) already.
Discord is a browser, desktop client and phone app based service which is basically a mix of TeamSpeak and IRC. Here is little video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwOcCtpdQk.
I dont found better video but there is basically everything you need to know.
Discord is really very usefull, you can create own network and then text channels you need or voice channels too. Like #support, #music or voice channels #ctf-blue,# ctf-red etc.
It also works when you join the network you are connected 24/7 even when your machine is turned off. So you never miss message fron any channel.
Its really very good software for chatting and interacting with game. And its all FREE!

Just what I always wanted from a communication method: mouthbreathers coming out my speakers, servers that I know nothing about, and downloading of jpeg avatars I didn't request.

What?
1) you can mute your mic/speaker and also the mic only activate in case you acutally switch to voice channel

2) Uhm what? If you are scared of using some unknown server, then how you use interenet? You always leak IP/passwords etc when you are playing online or just using internet etc heh.

3) I dont think you download anything to pc really. I think it works like bouncer everything save on server not to your pc.

And finally here is about IRC downfall from 2012 (its now even worse xD). I used IRC for maybe 15 years and i was skeptic about discord but after couple of days i get use it and its really AWESOME. xD

Been using discord for about six months. Technical issues aside (beta), it is so much better than team speak and irc. Also got my own server set up for Doombringer. Totally free and very convenient.

I've been using it since November, it's a fantastic alternative to Skype.

I'm gonna be using IRC for years to come i think, but it will be nice to have another program to use in conjunction.

The IRC app on my phone is really dodgy, so its worth a shot.

Vorpal said:

Just what I always wanted from a communication method: mouthbreathers coming out my speakers, servers that I know nothing about, and downloading of jpeg avatars I didn't request.

All of which can be disabled through options.

Csonicgo said:

Is there a meme-free version?

Why worry about that? It's insignificant.

yukib1t said:

If it was open-source/FLOSS, I'd consider using it.

Ah, this should've been mentioned in the OP so I'd curb my enthusiasm pronto. I'll jump the skype ship in a heartbeat if everyone else goes as well, but why leave irc and later come back to it when this thing gets inevitably bought out by apple or someone and infected by corp bloat and aggressive ads and social network hooks and and and...

Oh, I'm not bitching against the service as an alternative to skype, TS, mumble or whathaveyou. I just don't see a chance for what was proposed in the thread title: to move often decades old Doom-related irc channels to Discord, because it's the new hip thing.

Just to add something:
When i tried to use discord the thing crashed like bombs in the middle east(sorry).

capodecima said:

And finally here is about IRC downfall from 2012 (its now even worse xD).

So because IRC becomes less and less popular the Doom community should go away from it, too? That's kind of funny, posting this on a 23 year old game's board. I guess we should abondon Doom too, after all it has far less players than in 1994 ;)

kristus said:

Also got my own server set up for Doombringer. Totally free and very convenient.

Your own? Is there a downloadable Discord server?

boris said:

Your own? Is there a downloadable Discord server?

Well. No. But the service allows you to set up you own servers on their infrastructure. Completely free ofcharge.

I have never really used IRC, so far the only thing close to it which I have been using is deviantArt's chatrooms under another username since June 20 2008.