Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What happens between Doom 3 and RE?

I never really understood what happened exactly between Doom 3 and RoE, since the game doesn't really tell us very much about it. Did the UAC know about the events of the first game? We can see the soldiers entering the facility and witnessing the mess Betruger created even though the monsters are dead, and I assume that Doom marine told his rescuers his story. And then of course he still has all of the data he collected from other's PDA's as well. So one would have assumed that there was plenty of evidence for the events.

And yet, when ROE starts we are just told "Mars base destroyed in some odd event, leaving only 1 guy left" and that's it. And the UAC just starts building a new base on mars just like before...

Uhm, what?

Doesn't anybody know what happened during the first game? This just seems like a massive plot hole to me.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Possibly the marines were sent there to investigate what happened, and then met Betruger .

The RoE intro says they went back because scans detected an item (the hell heart thingy).

hardcore_gamer said:

I never really understood what happened exactly between Doom 3 and RoE, since the game doesn't really tell us very much about it. Did the UAC know about the events of the first game? We can see the soldiers entering the facility and witnessing the mess Betruger created even though the monsters are dead, and I assume that Doom marine told his rescuers his story. And then of course he still has all of the data he collected from other's PDA's as well. So one would have assumed that there was plenty of evidence for the events.

And yet, when ROE starts we are just told "Mars base destroyed in some odd event, leaving only 1 guy left" and that's it. And the UAC just starts building a new base on mars just like before...

Uhm, what?

Doesn't anybody know what happened during the first game? This just seems like a massive plot hole to me.

I'm sure the UAC knows about the events of the original incident, how could they not be? There is a ton of research data left over in the complex, plus there was the sole surviving space marine. The UAC gave a 'cover' story to the public, but we know better. I'm not sure where you get the UAC just starts building a new base on Mars like before, we are visiting the Mars colony that was already established. In ROE, we are simply visiting areas that weren't in the original Doom 3. As to what happened between Doom 3 and ROE, that's up in the air. I'm sure there was a massive investigation, clean-up and repair. But I don't think the entire place was brought back online, the ROE marine inadvertently unleashed hell onto the base.

J.B.R said:

The Lost Mission from D3 BFG Edition might be a strong candidate for what happens between D3 and ROE.

The Lost Mission is a side story that starts as soon as doomguy reaches the enpro facility in the main game (it even uses basically the same cinematic) and you play as one of the marines from that incident and then completely breaks away from that storyline with the exception of visiting some of the same locations.

The expansion is another potential side story that starts at some unknown point in the original storyline but seemingly after the demonic invasion begins and Betruger has become Maledict, which is shown at the very end of the main story, so somewhere towards the end of the original campaign but potentially after it. As an expansion I don't know that they were all that worried about whether it was going to fit with canon or not.

Piper Maru said:

The UAC gave a 'cover' story to the public

But it just doesn't seem like something you could really cover up, you know with the whole "parts of the base now look like a literal hell and there are bloody skeletons everywhere and corpses nailed to the walls next to satanic imagery" thing going on. Are we expected to believe that nobody starting asking any questions?

EDIT: And as a side question, what happened to the other story characters that later died like Sarge and Campbell? The game doesn't really make it clear what happens to people killed by the demons. Betruger keeps throwing threats at the player claiming he will burn in hell and that "death won't be his end". That doesn't make it sound like Sarge or the other dudes were in for a happy ending even though the Doom marine won in the end :(

hardcore_gamer said:

But it just doesn't seem like something you could really cover up, you know with the whole "parts of the base now look like a literal hell and there are bloody skeletons everywhere and corpses nailed to the walls next to satanic imagery" thing going on. Are we expected to believe that nobody starting asking any questions?

EDIT: And as a side question, what happened to the other story characters that later died like Sarge and Campbell? The game doesn't really make it clear what happens to people killed by the demons. Betruger keeps throwing threats at the player claiming he will burn in hell and that "death won't be his end". That doesn't make it sound like Sarge or the other dudes were in for a happy ending even though the Doom marine won in the end :(

They're the UAC, they can get away with ANYTHING. Just use your imagination! :)

hardcore_gamer said:

The RoE intro says they went back because scans detected an item (the hell heart thingy).

If that's the case, then probably they didn't know they're going to meet Betruger and accidently disturbed him, Betruger was aware that UAC is going back to excavate .

hardcore_gamer said:

Betruger by this point alerts Earth even if you choose not to, as he states that is goal is to bring the demons to Earth. I think they would have a much bigger, more immediate problem than just what happened on the Mars base.

The other characters in the Mars base with you like Swann, Campbell, and Kelly all end up dead except for Betruger whom at the end of the main game is mentioned as not found, whom at that point resides in hell in a demon form (Maledict) whom you face at the end of the expansion.

In a PDA in Doom 3 (I think it was McNeil's) there's a reference to something called "The McNeil Projects" being closed down after she returns to Earth. This is the same McNeil that gives you missions in ROE. Also, in one of the Cavern levels late in the game, you come across 4 floating stone egg-like structures, one of which is damaged and not floating anymore as I recall. You also find a video log talking about 3 "artifacts" that were recovered, separate from the Soul Cube. You find 3 artifacts during ROE.

While still somewhat shadowy, it's not a complete mystery. UAC was also studying these 3 artifacts with another team, led by McNeil, and when the main project went to Hell, they sent her back a year later to try to salvage what they could from her project, and then the events of ROE happen.