Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Which one looks uglier? Quake or Quake 2?

Quake II is the uglier one IMO, I like the aesthetics of the original Quake more.

And yes if you want to buy the games, get them from GOG, this way you will have the music, which is missing from the Steam release.

Strong vertical elements reminiscent of fascist architecture

Interesting structures that serve an actual purpose (you don't have that in Quake)

Impressive sights (for a 1997 title, mind you)

Alien palace with an Art Deco influence.

Screenshots were made with the KMQuake2 engine, but with the original textures (except HUD icons). For me this doesn't look ugly.

Jellyman1303 said:

What do you guys think?

Before you post about "ugly" games you should check out what "The Gulman" game is.

For me both Q1-2 are masterpiece of their time. Aaaand Unreal too.

Tetzlaff said:

Alien palace with an Art Deco influence.

Screenshots were made with the KMQuake2 engine, but with the original textures (except HUD icons). For me this doesn't look ugly.

Pffaha, that shit ain't art deco, this is art deco:
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?blobcol=gfile&blobheader=image%2Fjpeg&blobkey=id&blobtable=GIA_MediaFile&blobwhere=1355960712181&ssbinary=true
But the main difference? This attractive to look at while everything in Quake II looks like a concrete bunker. Sure it may be detailed but that doesn't mean it's not ugly.

Implying that concrete bunkers can't be pretty and/or atmospheric is close-minded.

The last shot demonstrates some great lighting, by the way. Too bad the game as a whole is very uneven in this department.

Quake 1 is uglier. It lacked colored lighting and the gameplay is just a slower, clunker version of Doom's. Quake 2 (when you have the textures in the correct resolution) is much prettier and feels more cohesive

I see many people playing Quake 2 with such a high brightness that everything looks ugly as fuck, how can't they notice their brightness is off?

I could say that Quake 1 has unique visuals, but it's still long planes and repeated textures, so in my opinion Quake 2 gives it the boot.

Captain Red said:

Is their step by step dummies guide for idiots on how to set this up for windows 7?

Well, setting it up for older windows is pretty easy, but I have no idea if this will work with Win 7. You might need to run things in compatibility modes or as admin or something:

Piper Maru said:

Speaking of Quake 2, what are everyone's thoughts on the PSX version?

It was a butchered version without the right levels.

GojiraMax said:

It was a butchered version without the right levels.

Maybe, but considering the platform, they actually did a damn good job. I found it preferable to the N64 version, if only for being more faithful to the original.

I really don't find the PSX version more preferable to the N64 version, especially since the levels were chopped up so much with far too many loading screens between most of them.

If I wanted a secondary console version along with my PC version I would definitely pick the N64 version since it feels like a standalone expansion, I also love the ambient music.

I never understood the Q2 symbol being everywhere in the palace. Quake was the codename for the enemy in Q1 and its dimension is adorned with the symbol as well as being a powerful artifact. The quad in Q2 feels like a weird leftover.

Stranger yet, both games feature Strogg crates.

Avoozl said:

If I wanted a secondary console version along with my PC version I would definitely pick the N64 version since it feels like a standalone expansion, I also love the ambient music.

I didn't realize that the N64 version had new maps, until right now when I looked it up. Looks like no one's done a TC like with Doom64, wonder how hard that would be...

Still not a fan of Aubrey Hodges' music though.

plums said:

I didn't realize that the N64 version had new maps, until right now when I looked it up. Looks like no one's done a TC like with Doom64, wonder how hard that would be...

Still not a fan of Aubrey Hodges' music though.

I'm surprised that no one has even attempted it yet, but at least someone attempted Quake 64 as a TC for Quake but sadly it's no longer available as the only links to its TC are dead.

I know some people have toyed with the idea of a Quake 2 64 TC but the general consensus seems to be depressingly typical "it's on console so it sux" so nobody with any talent is willing to do it, from the threads on the subject I've found.

I forced myself to play through most of Quake2 64 with an emulator on PC. They have some really cool levels there, some set on a spaceship, some inside ice caverns. Some levels include parts of the original Q2 levels, but altered. The Aubrey Hodges soundtrack and the moving purple or toxic green skies created a more dystopian atmosphere. It would be really great if someone could create a Quake2 64 TC, or at least convert the levels to regular Q2.

I wonder if Kaiser could do with Quake II 64 what he did with Doom 64, but not that expect him to though.

Da Werecat said:

Implying that concrete bunkers can't be pretty and/or atmospheric is close-minded.

Oh sure they can, they can, you can make just about any location pretty. It's just these particular ones aren't.

Also atmospheric doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with pretty. Take a look at the Dark World environments from Silent Hill, loads of grotesque, rusty chainlink and blood. If you find that pretty, you're clearly one of the monsters from that game.

Jaxxoon R said:

It's just these particular ones aren't.

k

Jaxxoon R said:

Also atmospheric doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with pretty.

I don't remember saying it does.

Jaxxoon R said:

If you find that pretty, you're clearly one of the monsters from that game.

k

Tetzlaff said:

I forced myself to play through most of Quake2 64 with an emulator on PC.

What emulator? I might give this a shot, but a cursory read on the internet suggests a lot of N64 emulators don't (or didn't) work with Q2.