Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esselfortium

Back to Saturn X Episode 2 is out of beta! (v1.0.1 Aug 13, 2020)

I've just completed up to Map 14 and Map 14 is an absolutely incredible level; much more reminiscent of the quality of BTSX E1 and without the insane cheapness and tedium of E2. Key features for me:

• Very challenging, but very few traps that overwhelm the player with no room to manoeuvre
  • The overall layout of the map is great with awesome interconnected passages between areas. (Though I am very partial to castle-style layouts)
  • No lengthy key/switch hunts
  • The Spider Mastermind is in a fantastic position, and in fact that whole room is great
  • There is actually a good amount of ammo on the map to deal with the plethora of mid tier enemies, and crucially a decent amount of Cells so that you can Plasma Gun your way out of cramped situations
  • The puzzle to get the blue key was great, and took me a few goes to realise where the second lift noise was coming from and how to get there in time
  • The way the red/blue keys can aid you in the 2 boss fights if you choose
  • Arch Vile placement and usage was much more creative than just constantly putting them in your face, but still making them very dangerous given how many corpses are lying around by the later stages of the map
  • Even the cramped Cyberdemon fight isn't unfair if you have the Plasma Gun by then, as you can strafe around without boxing yourself in on the former humans. (The automap you can pick up warns you what you're about to get yourself into when you drop down)
Easily the best map so far in the WAD, and not because it was easy. It was far from easy, even on a continuous play (on UV) there was a lot to keep me busy. Sure there were also still a lot of Revenants, but with a better supply of ammo to deal with them it wasn't anywhere near as boring. I didn't collect the BFG until the end, though playing from a Pistol start I would make a beeline for that at an earlier point in the map.

I just felt the need to post this as this map was thoroughly enjoyable, probably in the top 10 maps I've ever played, and very unexpected given the way E2 seemed to be going.

Hi, sorry for the bump (if I'm bumping), but is there gonna be another beta for episode 2 or a final version being released? If so, when? atm I'm doing a playthrough of it on YouTube and I just beat map04. I noticed some of the monsters don't teleport into the map. Is it actually possible to get 100% kills/secrets on all maps of BTSX episode 2?

Sorry to necro this but it seems that I can't download neither this episode nor episode 1 due to an error about domain name being expired. Is there any way I can download it?

There was some nonsense with our web host, but it's been worked out now and the server should be back within two weeks. (I know, two weeks is absurd, but it is what it is.)

I'll be glad to stream a blind playthrough of both BTSX episodes tomorrow evening (US afternoon) if people would actually watch it. I haven't actually played them yet so this should be interesting to give my thoughts on it. I usually find it easier to give first impressions on blind playthroughs.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong, I've tried everything. Every time I load up the WAD, none of the textures render in. My entire map is blue and white checkboards everywhere. What am I doing wrong?

The episode 2 is made of two different wads (btsx_e2a.wad and btsx_e2b.wad), you need to load both at once.

Every time I load up both at the same time, it still does not load the textures. Do you think another WAD could be intefering for whatever reason?

Yep, it's matching up with Doom 2, and the Back to Saturn 2 menu does appear. When I get into the game, it does not load any of the textures, but the monsters spawn in so it looks strange because everything is blue and white checkered patterns.

Also, when I did research, it said that the wad was for vanilla Doom, but I use zDoom for my wads. Could that be causing an issue? I just really want to play this map. :(

XxInfamousPR0xX said:

Also, when I did research, it said that the wad was for vanilla Doom, but I use zDoom for my wads. Could that be causing an issue? I just really want to play this map. :(

No you are doing something wrong. How are you launching it exactly? Post a screenshot of your desktop as you are ready to launch it, if you can.

XxInfamousPR0xX said:

BTSX works fine with ZDoom, you just need to load both files.

If you open ZDoom's console and scroll up, you'll see toward the beginning "adding ZDOOM.PK3, adding DOOM2.WAD, adding BTSX_E2A.WAD, adding BTSX_E2B.WAD". Check that they're all listed.

Is autoaim forced on in this map pack?

Playing this with Smooth Doom in gzDoom, my autoaim keeps resetting to max when ever I exit the player settings menu.

Mechazawa said:

Is autoaim forced on in this map pack?

Playing this with Smooth Doom in gzDoom, my autoaim keeps resetting to max when ever I exit the player settings menu.

No, though jumping and crouching are disabled.

Gez said:

The episode 2 is made of two different wads (btsx_e2a.wad and btsx_e2b.wad), you need to load both at once.

Huh - I always thought I only needed one (I have bstx_e2_b2.pk3)...?

^^ I'm assuming that the pk3 contains both btsx_e2a and btsx_e2b.

In other news: the wait for episode 3 continues \ o /

TheRailgunner said:

No, though jumping and crouching are disabled.

So uh.. any ideas what might be causing it? It is kinda annoying with the plasma caster (what? wrong game... plasma rifle) the balls like to stick to mobs rather than fire straight. I can change every other setting just fine but autoaim always goes back to max.

esselfortium said:

Every time somebody bumps this thread I get all excited because I think the developers posted an update. Sad.

Heh, I know dat feeling. I wonder what in the actual fuck is going on with those lazy assholes. SHABAM.

What was posted is the opposite of an update. A downdate?