Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite gun/weapon from any shooter that takes skill and practice to use at its full potential?

I'd say mine would be the hydra (halo5) because most people just point and shoot with it until they eventual end up lying on the floor crying about how 343 has killed the master chef and will eat our children.

The fucking Reaper from Perfect Dark

Beccause if you've ever used it once you know exactly why. Took me forever to get gold in the shooting range with this thing.

Perhaps the grenade launcher from Shadow Warrior '97 since you have to bounce the grenades off from walls in particular positions rather than just point and shoot in most cases and also take care not to blow yourself up in the process, there was at least some strategy involved.

The flamethrower from Call of Duty: World at War. For online multiplayer anyway. It was a fun weapon to use but the killing range sucked ass. You really had to have a good strategy to make it work. I used to run the juggernaut perk with extreme conditioning and would flank the enemy team. You could clear an entire room with this thing if you were smart and had a recon plane up:

Man I miss this game. The newer call of duty titles don't excite me nearly as much. Plus the fanbase is pretty atrocious. Too bad.

Launchable teleporter (forget it's actual name) from unreal tournament. Only really used it against bots, but it was a fun way to get a hold of an opponents weapon.

Captain Red said:

Launchable teleporter (forget it's actual name) from unreal tournament. Only really used it against bots, but it was a fun way to get a hold of an opponents weapon.

Ahhh, the translocator! That one definitely counts, and in the original UT you could use it without delay between jumps which made it incredibly useful.

Azuruish said:

BFG

Gotta be the BFG for me too, followed by the SSG. Now before I get pelted with "but everyone knows how the SSG works" arguments, if you really are familiar with the spread and timing of the gun, you will inevitably destroy someone who thinks it's "just a noob tube"!

The ASMD shock rifle from UT. The base fire was reasonably easy to use, but the knockback it had added depth to it, being able to push people around/off ledges. And then the Secondary projectile was great if you could judge it correctly, and if you could nail the shock combo it was a powerhouse.

HavoX said:

The rocket launcher, duh

+1 rocket launcher from Doom or the one from Quake 3.

AirRaid said:

The ASMD shock rifle from UT. The base fire was reasonably easy to use, but the knockback it had added depth to it, being able to push people around/off ledges. And then the Secondary projectile was great if you could judge it correctly, and if you could nail the shock combo it was a powerhouse.

Oh ye ASMD combos, it was so powerful but very hard to learn. I know i should make ASMD combos only when i was not moving after some time i should make the combos also while moving on certain maps. But nothing like pros which were simple crazy with asmd. heh

Slow-firing (bolt-action) sniper rifles in any multiplayer FPS. Even though they are usually one-hit kill, in dangerous situations you have to be really fast at aiming, because if you missed your first shot, you're usually dead before you can make a second one.

Blood's TNT, can be effective against groups of enemies, but the problem is the timing and being careful to not accidently suicide.
And probably the Expander in Duke3D, i think of it as a finishing and humilation weapon just for near-death enemies and in DM too.

The Lightning Gun and Sniper Rifle in Unreal Tournament 2004. Hard to line up head shots with those, but so satisfying when you do.

Kirby said:

The fucking Reaper from Perfect Dark

Beccause if you've ever used it once you know exactly why. Took me forever to get gold in the shooting range with this thing.

God I hated that thing. When I first got it I thought it was the coolest thing ever, a rapid firing weapon AND a close range shredder? Sweet! Then I was promptly killed by the next alien.

It's one of the few weapons, maybe the only, weapon I don't think I ever ended up getting a gold on the shooting range with.

Although honestly I found the Mag-Sec pretty worthless too.

I loved that game, especially the multiplayer. Nothing like dropping a few N-Bombs to piss everyone off.

fraggle said:

Railgun from Elite: Dangerous

The Huge Plasma Accelerator is even more of a skill weapon from that game. It's very rewarding with the Fer-De-Lance.

As some of you have said, the BFG, hands down, followed closely by the ASMD from UT '99. But I would also like to mention the sniper rifles in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC, especially the Vintar BC. Once you get the hang of it, making long distance headshots is extremely satisfying.

SavageCorona said:

The tranq crossbow in Deus Ex.
shit that thing doesn't even work lmao

Lol you obviously never encountered the PS20 :P

SavageCorona said:

The tranq crossbow in Deus Ex.
shit that thing doesn't even work lmao

You just shoot and hide. As long as you're staying still before firing it, it's accurate enough even with basic training. It's honestly one of the easier weapons to use in the game.

Zed said:

As some of you have said, the BFG, hands down, followed closely by the ASMD from UT '99. But I would also like to mention the sniper rifles in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC, especially the Vintar BC. Once you get the hang of it, making long distance headshots is extremely satisfying.

I would add that pretty much any firearm in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SOC was a skill weapon. I absolutely loved that game to death, but just getting used to the weapons was like hitting your head against a brick wall. But once I got the hang of them, it felt like actual skill when I killed someone. Especially with the Vintorez rifle, actually having to account for bullet drop made for some good immersion.

Although I was using a mod for my first playthrough, can't remember the name, because I couldn't hit jack shit on normal even at close range. The enemies couldn't hit me either. IIRC the enemy accuracy and your accuracy is tied together in the base game as a percentage based on difficulty level. So even if the enemy technically hits you, it won't register, and vice versa. So I could fire 30 rounds point blank from a rifle into an enemy and only 10 or 15 would actually register. The mod I used increased both chances to hit on normal difficulty, so if I was careless they could hit me as well as I could hit them. Made the game both less and more frustrating, and increased overall satisfaction by leaps and bounds.