Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Any wads/mods with custom campaigns?

You know? like the hell on earth starter pack, That map pack had it's own story (those texts in between episodes) and awesome levels that progresses like doom and doom 2? maybe also something like Winter's fury? I want to try something other than just randomly compiled collection of maps, I want to try a good solid campaign that's good for either Project brutality or Smooth Doom.

HellVain said:

I've heard about this wad. Are the level designs something like scythe or larger than scythe?

Eh, there's the occasional tiny map, but the majority are mid-sized affairs, with a few large adventure maps thrown in for good measure. It's a rather varied set (E2 more so than E1) and yet there's not a single map I dislike. There's a third episode in the works, which is definitely worth waiting for :)

AD_79 said:

Eh, there's the occasional tiny map, but the majority are mid-sized affairs, with a few large adventure maps thrown in for good measure. It's a rather varied set (E2 more so than E1) and yet there's not a single map I dislike. There's a third episode in the works, which is definitely worth waiting for :)

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! HOLY SHIT. lol I'm playing it right now. the maps are fucking amazing.

BYHAE. Kinda along the lines of the Starter Pack campaign, though only halfway finished (2 versions cutrently: 14 maps with custom music, or 15 maps without)

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Aka BTSX ... oh wait .

This "BTSX sucks and I don't care that you like it but I care enough to point it out because you just said you like BTSX" shitposting got old back when BTSX E2 came out. And no, the "It's just an opinion" card won't work, that's just being a pretentious jerk simply because you sir COULD NOT resist pointing out BTSX sucks because the previous poster pointed out that he likes it like a knee jerk reaction.

On topic, I can recommend Demonfear as it's all filled with what I would call, breakfast-sized maps and it was a wad that was hugely influential on Scythe.

Also worth playing is, Rebirth by who we know now as Vader, predating his zdoom works by few years.

Royal_Sir said:

BYHAE. Kinda along the lines of the Starter Pack campaign, though only halfway finished (2 versions cutrently: 14 maps with custom music, or 15 maps without)

BYHAE?

@alterworldruler

I'll put it in my wad collection and try it out :)

also, Just let him be, maybe he doesnt like BTSX. I'm playing it right now and I'm on map 3 and I love every detail on the levels.

alterworldruler said:

Shit ... shit ... and Bullshit

Oh wow, Ladies and gentlemen we got someone with a serious problem against BTSX .
EDITED : Read what's below

alterworldruler said:

This "BTSX sucks and I don't care that you like it but I care enough to point it out because you just said you like BTSX" shitposting got old back when BTSX E2 came out. And no, the "It's just an opinion" card won't work, that's just being a pretentious jerk simply because you sir COULD NOT resist pointing out BTSX sucks because the previous poster pointed out that he likes it like a knee jerk reaction.

Huh? If any of that is what DMGUYDZ64 is saying, I didn't see it at all...

esselfortium said:

Huh? If any of that is what DMGUYDZ64 is saying, I didn't see it at all...

I'll let him be but what set me off personally is that he quoted the part where HellVain said BTSX is amazing, how can you NOT read "Aka BTSX ... oh wait ." as a sarcastic remark.

Like if I quoted someone saying they like maps in X wads and I was responded saying "Oh X......... oh wait", of course it would sound like a negative sarcastic remark towards the wad itself. And that's my last say on this matter.

alterworldruler said:

I'll let him be

Too late for this now .

alterworldruler said:

... but what set me off personally is that he quoted the part where HellVain said BTSX is amazing, how can you NOT read "Aka BTSX ... oh wait ."

ROFLMAO, must be one of the funniest things you'd ever read in here
You know you got your reasons .

Most megawads have their own story text. Sometimes there's no real story (Sunlust), sometimes there's a story but it's kinda weird (50 shades), sometimes it's done seriously (Plutonia 2)...

Eris Falling said:

Reads more like "Aka BTSX, oh wait someone already said that."

If i knew it would be so easy to get someone pissed off for just saying Aka whatever, i would have done that long time ago without having any serious problems but whiners :v

If OP is looking for releases that were a bit more narrative-centric, perhaps something like Hadephobia (the purpose of which iirc was to design maps around a story, right?) or Going Down (which conveys a story, in a sense, through very clear thematic progression) would fit the bill. Many projects developed by the Russian community (see Lainos latest offerings, the whitemare sets, ALT, etc) seem to typically be wrapped around a story of some sort as well.

Ribbiks said:

If OP is looking for releases that were a bit more narrative-centric, perhaps something like Hadephobia (the purpose of which iirc was to design maps around a story, right?) or Going Down (which conveys a story, in a sense, through very clear thematic progression) would fit the bill. Many projects developed by the Russian community (see Lainos latest offerings, the whitemare sets, ALT, etc) seem to typically be wrapped around a story of some sort as well.

Oh! seems pretty interesting! this will keep me busy for awhile hehe

HellVain said:

BYHAE?

Beyond Hell And Earth. Requires BDv19 to work.

There used to be a facebook page for its development, not quite sure what happened.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73328-where-i-can-download-full-beyond-hell-and-earth-wad/

Great mapset, offers some custom content as well. The map sizes are medium to large. Lots of details, great pace break from the more "oldschool" wads.

Valiant and Going Down are two that come to mind for me, they've quickly become favorites for me.

Just be sure to play Valiant with either Eternity or Z/GZDoom to get the story bits.

Also welcome to the community.

ReFracture said:

Valiant

Although it has unified episode themes and story texts at the end of each of them, I consider Valiant to be actually a random collection of maps more than anything story based at all, because the story texts are clearly kind of an afterthought and the maps within the episodes feel self contained rather than actually progressive. It's a great wad anyway, just not really of the kind that has been asked for in here, probably, IMO.

HellVain said:

and awesome levels that progresses like doom and doom 2?

You could also look into Doom the way Id Did and its amazing sequel, Doom 2 the Way Id Did. They are both essentially Doom and Doom 2, created with the design philosophy of Doom and Doom 2. No custom textures or anything, but you can't really get any closer to "like doom and doom 2".

I have a small 2-map "pre-release" coming in a couple of weeks that fits the bill. I posted a screenshot in the "image thread".