Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
A2Rob

Texture Issues

Hey everyone, relatively new to mapping here.

I'm having some issues with textures not appearing in a level I'm currently editing. They show up fine in the editor when testing, but when I actually run the game in zandronum, I get that checkerboard tile instead.

In DoomBuilder2 Editor

Testing in DoomBuilder2 (Zandronum)

Running actual WAD in Zandronum

I checked to see if the texture was in the WAD itself, and it is. I'm pulling it from the DOOM.WAD from Ultimate Doom. The program I'm using for wads is SLADE, by the way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That vine is also in the Doom2 IWAD but not defined as a texture, which is probably why Zandronum can't find it when running your wad outside the editor. That can be fixed by creating a TEXTURE1 lump in your wad, adding that patch to it and renaming the texture "MIDVINE1". Most of that's covered in the bottom third of this wiki page under the "Textures" sub-heading.

Check the Patch Table after you're done, if Slade is using the IWAD patch for that custom texture you can safely remove the patch from your wad.

The editor doesn't do anything with the textures, so it doesn't matter whether you launch your map from the editor, or not.
If you are using some additional resources, you'll still need to load them when running the map outside of an editor.

A2Rob said:

I checked to see if the texture was in the WAD itself, and it is.

I bet it actually isn't. Learn the difference (and relation) between textures and patches.

I bet if that was the case, it wouldn't have been displayed when tested from the editor.

My assumption was partly based on yours, that the OP used both Doom2.wad and Doom.wad as an additional resources in Doom Builder, then he put the vine patch into his wad via SLADE3 (unknowing that what he actually needed was to define it as a texture in TEXTURE1/PNAMES), then ran the wad outside of the editor with only Doom2.wad as the IWAD.

Ugh... I should probably detect and prevent the usage of more than one official IWAD as a resource...

I understand why newbie mappers should be generally (as a guideline, not as a rule) discouraged from doing so - in Wads&Mods, I've encountered multiple people who used multiple IWADs for their map's resources just because they wanted variety and because they could, disregarding the player's troubles with having to load multiple wads to play the map (and a necessity to use an advanced port) - but I don't think it should be made impossible by the editor either, as I can imagine decent wads or mods for advanced ports taking advantage of resources from multiple IWADs in good ways and worthy the little struggle of players setting them up.