Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalXX

E1M2 redux for Q3.

Welcome.

I've been working on a remake of E1M2 (Nuclear Plant) from Doom and I finally reached the point when it is playable, and done.
E1M2 was my favourite from Doom, so I thought I need this in Q3. Layout is based on it but I changed it a little bit so it fits better for a game like Q3.

Design, on the other hand, is based on Q3DM11 (Deva Station) as it's my favourite from Q3. It's NOT the same but I focused on mimicing the trimming, supports, and the walls of course. Textures are almost the same, though.

It's a final version, and bots are working.
To be honest, Doom nailed the other bots on this map (just saying, doesn't have anything to do with the map, but is ironic).

Screenshots (in spoiler cause I don't want to fill the entire page with them):

Spoiler

If anyone's interested, here's the Download (ZIP + Readme included):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/c2pkv9

Jaxxoon R said:

It's times like this that I wish I owned any of the Quake games.

That reminds me of the anger I felt when QL was moved to steam and had to be brought, since I only have Q3 (and not on steam, it's an original cd from back then).

Cool map, had much fun with bots. I thought that original might be too big for fastpaced dm, but your descision to cut down everything to central area is greate

Brilliant little map. Would be cool if there were a way to reach the courtyard but other than that looks great.

Thanks!

ABRACADABRA said:

Cool map, had much fun with bots. I thought that original might be too big for fastpaced dm, but your descision to cut down everything to central area is greate

In fact, the original also lacks the connectivity to be a suitable DM map. Verticality is a key, too (at least in Q3), so I ended up connecting the middle "tower" with the windowed area to create more variety in flow.

vadrig4r said:

Brilliant little map. Would be cool if there were a way to reach the courtyard but other than that looks great.

I thought about even adding some secrets, problem is I still don't know how to make buttons and move the brushes with them. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with it in the end.

Maybe it will also work with free stuff like OpenArena if you don't wanna pay. Not sure if it's compatible with Q3 maps.

kuchitsu said:

Maybe it will also work with free stuff like OpenArena if you don't wanna pay. Not sure if it's compatible with Q3 maps.

Possible, I'd just need to change the textures and entities, like you would do when converting a Doom level to, say, Heretic.
I actually prefer Xonotic over Open Arena it's more unique and also free.

ABRACADABRA said:

btw, don't forget to submit it here http://lvlworld.com/ and here http://ws.q3df.org/

I've already sent it for lvlworld yesterday but the admin has to accept it first. When it's accepted, it needs to be reviewed to be on the main page (anyone can review, except the author).
Apologies if you already knew that.

Will send it to q3df, soon.

Good looking map :)

FractalXX said:

Possible, I'd just need to change the textures and entities, like you would do when converting a Doom level to, say, Heretic.

It's more like converting from Doom to FreeDoom - it should theoretically work with no modification of your map should be necessary.

Dragonfly said:

It's more like converting from Doom to FreeDoom - it should theoretically work with no modification of your map should be necessary.

More exactly, yes. Thanks!

Dragonfly said:

Not quite. Open Arena is still missing some Quake 3 textures.

Nice.
Good call in putting the images in the spoilers, too, even if they're just thumbnails...

Danfun64 said:

Not quite. Open Arena is still missing some Quake 3 textures.

Dragonfly said:

theoretically

I'm well aware. I did run a small 8-player server with my own custom maps for OA some years ago. ;)

Dragonfly said:

I'm well aware. I did run a small 8-player server with my own custom maps for OA some years ago. ;)

Let's just say it's nearly the same, little changes are needed since you can't distribute vanilla Q3 textures, that would be illegal.

It might be best to rework the level so that it only uses textures common with both quake 3 and open arena 0.8.1 (yes 0.8.1. I know 0.8.8 and 0.8.5 have more textures, but to this day there are still some old servers that use that old version.)

Danfun64 said:

It might be best to rework the level so that it only uses textures common with both quake 3 and open arena 0.8.1 (yes 0.8.1. I know 0.8.8 and 0.8.5 have more textures, but to this day there are still some old servers that use that old version.)

Maybe in the future.