Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomzRules

Brutal Doom 64 - Early Alpha Gameplay

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone else saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfp00OZuXCc

Brutal Doom 64 looks amazing, and since Doom 64 is my favorite Doom game, I can't wait to see what SGTMarkIV does with it. It seems more mature and realistic, and ever since V20b dropped that whole over-the-top nonsense in favor of realism...

I have to say I'm pretty fucking excited for this mod.

Here's hoping!

Looks OK. A bit burned out on Brutal Doom, but could still be fun with these levels.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Saw this yesterday, i feel like the gameplay is getting some changes too .

I would think that would go without saying. It is Brutal Doom, afterall.

MsKaye said:

I would think that would go without saying. It is Brutal Doom, afterall.

I'd like to see the levels in a standalone form, i couldn't find these .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I'd like to see the levels in a standalone form, i couldn't find these .

Well, I suppose there is always Doom 64 EX or The Absolution TC. That's how I play it on PC. They don't have those spiffy fog and lighting effects though, though I guess Absolution TC technically has some of 'em since it runs on Doomsday.

DoomzRules said:

ever since V20b dropped that whole over-the-top nonsense in favor of realism...

Are you sure? Brutal Doom v20 pretty much introduced content, not take it away. Adding duel weapons is even more over the top imo.

In BDv20 I'm still kicking Baron's balls, giving Mancubus the finger and cheering at my own reflection like always.

Hmm, I wonder if the sound effects could a bit more... subdued I think is the word I'm looking for. Brutal Dooms' bombastic Blasts and cartoonish blood spats where fine with the PC version, but here they clash pretty badly with the console sounds.

On the other hand the addition of halos to the lights and mist sprites actually do otherwise enhance the mood of the base game.

Captain Red said:

Hmm, I wonder if the sound effects could a bit more... subdued I think is the word I'm looking for. Brutal Dooms' bombastic Blasts and cartoonish blood spats where fine with the PC version, but here they clash pretty badly with the console sounds.

I agree, the pistol is overwhelming.

mrthejoshmon said:

I agree, the pistol is overwhelming.

Yeah, author should've used original pistol sound. It sounded really cool.

Btw, I can't wait to see how he will remake that.. hellish lasergun thing in this mod.

ChekaAgent said:

Btw, I can't wait to see how he will remake that.. hellish lasergun thing in this mod.

The Unmaker. :/

I was burnt out on BD until I tried out the starter pack, and found that the mod had grown quite a bit and is a lot less unbalanced now. I like what I'm seeing here. The lighting in particular is much improved. Except for the lack of dynamic lighting when the player or one of the former humans fires their weapon. There were no weapon/explosion based lights in the original D64, and if I recall someone on here said it had to do with the way the hardware rendered the levels; I think that the effect ended up not working or looking wonky and that's why we don't see it. This mod is really going to need that effect in my opinion, it's a touch that the original game could have used.

I have yet to play Doom 64. I was going to save it for the week of Doom 2016's release.

The perspective on that improved shotgun reloading is so bad it's not even funny. I know it existed long before BD64, but now that it's going to be featured in a prominent mod I can't stay silent anymore!

Glaice said:

I will pass, this doesn't interest me.

Same here. Leave Doom 64's mechanics ALONE, I'd say.

Oh, and DoomzRules, isn't your sig a bit too long?

That's pretty cool. I'm just a little puzzled about those maps. Is Mark going to remake all of the original D64 maps in GZDoom? I'm also wondering if it will be compatible with other maps.

DoomzRules said:

and ever since V20b dropped that whole over-the-top nonsense in favor of realism...

Frankly, I hope it has a more realistic approach. Brutal Doom's over-the-top'ness works for classic doom, but it would just kill the mood in Doom 64.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

All the hot sites have an eye on the community!

...if it has to do with Brutal Doom.

Any other mod? You're lucky to get a mention. It's not impossible, but it's a longshot.

I'm looking forward to this for a lot of reasons. First off, I'm not a purist--probably the furthest thing from one without being a fan of Doom 3 and without any intention of getting into Doom 4. I love the idea, rather, that the original game/engine/assets can be gradually improved, added to, etc. in a form of divergent evolution from mainstream gaming and id tech. So in other words, the spirit of the game remains alive while it evolves. It's still the same game, but it's morphing slowly at the hands of dedicated fans.

Second, Kaiser and Sgt. Mark IV are geniuses. We may not like everything they do, and yeah, Sgt. Mark IV goes over the top with his mods. But he's a whiz at making stuff. This is probably the closest thing to a collaboration we're going to see between the two of them. Why? Kaiser made Absolution as a way to introduce people to Doom 64; his Absolution resources were adapted for GZDoom 64, which Sgt. Mark IV is using to make Brutal Doom 64.

Last but not least, it feels like a culmination, of sorts. Every avenue of Doom evolution is coming together on this one. Doom 64 is essentially a hyper-evolved Doom 1.2. JagDoom was based on Doom 1.2, Playstation Doom was based on JagDoom and Doom 64 used a lot of things first introduced in Playstation Doom (new sounds, new style of soundtrack, colored lighting, whatever else I'm forgetting). So Doom 64 was kind of the endgame for 90s console ports. So the chain goes JagDoom-PSXDoom-Doom64-Absolution-GZDoom64-BrutalDoom64.

And, let's face it--we could use something like this to bolster enthusiasm for the original engine at a time when a new Doom on the latest idtech could suppress it.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The last damn thing is we need is more people playing Brutal Doom. It's like noone on the "Gaming Journalism" websites don't give a shit about mods that aren't BD.

HavoX said:

Same here. Leave Doom 64's mechanics ALONE, I'd say.

Oh, and DoomzRules, isn't your sig a bit too long?

Yeah it's a bit long. As for leaving Doom 64's mechanics alone? That's a bit boring and dull IMHO, look I'm not exactly a purist, but I'm not exactly a meddler either.

I personally think the mod looks cool, because Doom 64 could use a bit of a facelift.

So long as he doesn't mess with the atmosphere, and only enhances it by adding in gore, and making the weapons sound beefier and the monsters sound scarier.... then I don't see why not give it a shot?

I mean if we were to leave Doom 64's mechanics alone, we'd be stuck playing it on a Nintendo 64 on a TV using weird controls as opposed to a mouse and keyboard (which quite honestly I prefer.)

I view Brutal Doom 64 as a turning point for Mark..... it's a sign he's heading towards a darker and much more mature and realistic tone.

As evident by the Starter Pack and v20b, he started to cut down on the over-the-top stuff.

I mean in my personal opinion, I think that over-the-topness doesn't fit Classic Doom or Doom 64 regardless.

If he keeps the gameplay the same, and only adds in the trademark gore of Brutal Doom, along with maybe a handful of new monsters, and a berserk that isn't some third-person fatality bullshit...

I think it'll be great.

Oh and no taunts either.

I don't want to see a middle finger and "FUCK YOURSELF!"

It literally has no place in Doom, because IMHO I'm already giving the middle finger with my shotgun shell in my enemy's head.

I think it'll be a bit more balanced, and I for one am going to give it a try. =)

Glaice said:

The last damn thing is we need is more people playing Brutal Doom. It's like noone on the "Gaming Journalism" websites don't give a shit about mods that aren't BD.

In my opinion I don't really count this mod as Brutal Doom.

I consider it more of a reboot of the Brutal Doom mod itself, and quite frankly I think it looks pretty cool what he did with the weapons animations, the gore, the lighting effects, it looks really awesome.

Though I do agree the "gaming journalist" websites jump on anything that is Brutal Doom...

They completely ignore Demonsteele, Random Deaths and Decorations (which is awesome, because every now and then I get burnt out with Brutal Doom.), Project Brutality (a mod that gets overlooked because it's not Brutal Doom.), Accessories to Murder (excellent mod, I love the shotgun), wildweasel's Nazis (really great mod, awesome for Wolfenstein-themed maps.), and of course yours truly...

Gritty Doom...

Yayyy..... it's kinda lame, it's something I made for fun because I was bored. =P

I know it probably needs work. =P

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gritty-doom

Piper Maru said:

I love Doom 64. But I am indifferent towards Brutal Doom. I feel conflicted.

As do I. Doom 64 is my favorite Doom game. I look at this mod as just a mod, I'm going to judge it based on how well it plays and how it feels. I'm not going to judge it by comparing it to Brutal Doom.

That would be an insult to Doom 64 as well as this mod.