Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Your first Doom experience..

I played PSX Doom and I got the green armor then shot some guys y'know.

oh I also felt like whoa cause I was around 6.

First time I played Doom, it was the summer of 2009. One day my father said that I might like Doom if I liked the games I played at that time. So he built a computer that ran Windows 2000, installed shareware Doom, and I played it... I was terrified, and refused to continue past E1M4 for a while.

Hoodie said:

I played PSX Doom and I got the green armor then shot some guys y'know.

Same. Music there are so cool.

My first experience went something like this:

C:\>cd doom
C:\DOOM>doom
DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time  Version 1.94a
Copyright (c) Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1993
DOS/4GW Professional Fatal Error: Loader failed -- Insufficient memory available
:(

And then I went back to playing wolf3d and I had to wait almost a year until I could upgrade my lowly 386sx with 2MB of RAM to a whopping Pentium 100 with 8MB so I could actually play doom.

Accidently stumbled upon Doom Shareware on a Flash games site at the age of 7 i think, upon seeing it, i quickly returned to the previous page because it was terrified, even though i saw horror movies at the age of 6.

I was four years old on December 2004.... I stayed up rather late that night (which is pretty unusual for a child of that age) and I decided to explore the Internet (I was obsessed with exploring the web on my Windows 98 CRT computer.)

I found a shareware version of Doom 95.

I downloaded it, and I was pretty terrified by the demons. I did beat Episode 1 on Hurt Me Plenty.... but the Barons of Hell still fucking terrify me to this day.

I'm 16 now, so you know yeah....

I generally play Doom now-a-days with mods like Demonsteele, Brutal Doom, Project Brutality, Smooth Doom, Beautiful Doom, Gritty Doom, Colorful Hell, Legendoom, DoomRL Arsenal, my custom monster pack, Ketchup + Samsara, stuff like that...

But every now and then I really like to just sit down and just play Vanilla Doom. =)

Though if there is a way to describe my feeling, I felt rather awestruck at how everything looked, and I could have sworn that there was a thick white fog in Episode 1, and everything felt really mystical and mysterious. Like there was this sense of mystery that I just can't explain really.

I was still nonetheless scared shitless by the Imps, Pinky Demons, and of course the Barons of Hell.

The former humans didn't terrify me that much to be honest. =P

Piper Maru said:

I first experienced Doom when it was released back in 1993. Time sure does fly!

Did you envisage the community surviving 22 years? :)

I honestly can't remember the first time I played Doom. I was near toddler age when I first decided to boot up a computer, being the Amiga and play a game by myself. My early memories of Doom would be watching my family play it. When I did, I always had cheats on. I was a massive cheat fan back then, now I feel they totally ruin games.

One of my earliest memories was my uncle bringing wolf3d around on a huge ass laptop. Not much later, I have a memory of Dad playing on a 486 or something with us all huddled around the screen. I would have been about 3 or so, this would have been early 95 probably. I'm sure it was a 486 as it played the game very smooth in full screen. There might be a photo of my dad on it in some old album, actually. Will rummage around for it this weekend!

First version I played was the SNES one about six or seven years ago. Couldn't get into it at the time (thanks to that not-so-great port), but I did get into both Doom 64 and Doom 3, which got me to go back and play the originals on PC when I got myself a Steam account.

The first Doom game I played was Doom 3, back in 2007. I've only made it past 1 level, because it was scary for me, since I was like 9 yo.

Some time later I played Doom RPG. I liked it, and somebody told me that Doom 1/2 looked like Doom RPG, so I decided to play them. So, I installed Doom 1, but because I had Windows XP, the game lacked sounds. So, I installed ZDoom and played the game normally. I enjoyed it a lot and played through first 3 episodes. At the end of the 3rd episode, I saw the fucking dead bunny cutscene. Upon seen it I screamed in horror, reseted my computer, deleted the game, and went back to playing Call of Duty.

I was born in 1994, so even though we had Doom on our computer I didnt play it until I was at least 4, but I remember watching my family play it. Apparently when I was a kid I was extremely good at it. Anyway after experiencing some vivid dreams about it when I was about 13 or so, I came back to the game.

ChekaAgent said:

At the end of the 3rd episode, I saw the fucking dead bunny cutscene. Upon seen it I screamed in horror, reseted my computer, deleted the game, and went back to playing Call of Duty.

I literally had Ultimate Doom for 24 hours, got it for my 7th birthday iirc, before seeing the dead bunny. I still loved the game, but refused to play for a few weeks. Dad was worried I didn't like the gift (rofl) but in reality I was scared there might be more content like that, but got over it quickly.

I ran crying to my brother after I first saw it. I was up at like 11 which I definitely wasn't allowed to be, which probably made it even more terrifying, in retrospect.

First played doom around 10 years ago. Almost beat the first first episode, and I remember playing around in the Halls of the Damned level.

What I don't remember however is how I found this community... I've been lurking for a very long time.

I remember sitting with my dad waiting for the shareware to finish downloading, and then arguing over the controls. Then we noticed it had multiplayer and spent like, 4 hours trying to get it running on my (at the time) low-medium end machine. Whooh, 15-12 whole frames per second of Deathmatch action on E1M1 against someone who could manage all 35 frames. It was unfair as hell, yet it was still totally blowing my 13 year old mind and it would continue to do so for awhile. Good times. Good times.

I got Doom for the iPod and played that a lot (it was a pretty good port in retrospect) in '12. Loved it and learned there was custom maps and mods for it, got the computer version to play those.

Ah, 1994. After having played quite a bit of Wolfenstein 3D, my dad installed shareware Doom on our old 386SX--a not-so-impressive machine with a whopping 20mhz clockspeed, slightly under the system requirements. I had to run it in low-res mode for decent performance, and with a reduced screen size, but I was blown the fuck away regardless. Even though I had neither the jargon nor the understanding to articulate exactly why it was better than Wolf, it was clear that it was. It felt darker, both thematically and literally. It seemed less cartoonish, and it was definitely more visceral. There was also no doubt that the layouts, movement, combat and general flow was superior in every way. I remember feeling like it was the most immersive experience I had ever witnessed in gaming. I was hooked instantly, in other words.

My first experience of Doom comes when my dad bought a Pentium 1 PC for me. Doom and a few more games comes bundled in a shareware disc, and I got two. Let's just say, in 1995 it is a scary game for me as a kid. I think I got far to E1M4 on HMP, and I played the game with just PC Speakers option and absolutely no music.

We don't have internet back then, and I am still looking for the cover of the shareware discs, Doom is at the front, and Rise of the Triad is on another.

Tompig said:

Did you envisage the community surviving 22 years? :)

No, I never imagined it would survive this long. But I am glad that it did, it has definitely made an impact. I am really looking forward to the next incarnation of Doom!

10 years old with a newly acquired Windows 98 (my first computer) in 1999, had access to a Games for Windows 95 CD that featured the Doom shareware. Easily the best thing on the entire disc. Played with keyboard on ITYTD, didn't know how to run or strafe, just walk, turn, use and shoot. Oh and save the game every few minutes and panic every time my health goes below 80 (that nosebleed seemed terrifying as did the Doomguy's face in the self-running demos as it slowly devolved into raw hamburger). Remember being in awe of the Barons of Hell and the game's violence, atmosphere and music like E1M3, E1M5 and E1M7 and E1M8 being really dark and scary unlike Hexen, my first FPS prior to Doom.

Summer of '94 - I was 11. My family visited our extended family in Vancouver.

My mum's cousin had an IT business and hardware capable of running Doom.

I was introduced to it in a basement that was full of computers and smelled of PCB... it was like nectar...

Absolutely blown away by the experience, back in the UK we were behind the tech 8 ball anyway and all I had was a Mega Drive (Genesis).

Didn't get a PC for years afterwards so I had major withdrawal symptoms. Actually bought the iD Anthology and had PSX Doom before getting a PC of my own.

Still compensating.

my parents weren't to big on computers till I got older, the first time I played doom my mom let me check it out on playstation, I loved the heck out of it immeadietly, then she put it away for some reason. I was scared of needles really bad as a kid, and I had to take an alleargy test where they prod you with like 40 needles, my mom said doom could be mine if I went through with it, it was awsome.

I was maybe 12 or 13, think it was not long after Doom or Ultimate Doom came out. A friend with a computer had it and showed it to me. It was explained that I could basically go anywhere or do anything, and I had all these different guns that I could shoot monsters with. I wanted to explore. I saw a Pinky through a window in Pandemonium and said "I want to get into that room". I was told I could. Well, I knew it was true, but I discovered that I sucked too much. Still, the game was so amazing and enticing to me that I had to have it. I had a SNES and was used to sidescrollers and fighting games, so the idea that I had these vast levels to explore was fascinating to me.

I got the SNES version and played the hell out of it. Showed it to my friend, and he wasn't impressed. In fact, he emphasized how terrible the port was. My young eyes couldn't see the difference, so I set out to find all the ways in which it was, in fact, better than the PC version. I know, right? But I did find some things that perhaps only a nitpicker would find. Like the translucency effect instead of fuzz effect for invisibility and better music. It became my mission in life to collect all the console ports and find one that could challenge the PC version in more ways.

In the meantime, my friend acquired Doom II, and a bunch of other goodies on CDs that were released commercially at the time, full of wads and other things. There was D!Zone and The Ultimate Add-On. One of them had Waded, which we spent an inordinate amount of time on. I'm naturally drawn to opportunities to be creative, so that while I've never properly beaten the PC game, I was excited to edit the levels. Never finished one back then, and hell, I've still never really finished one, but I think I'm close. Never give up!