Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Running doom on safe mode, This is amazing

So my graphics card went ape shit so I had to use safe mode on my computer which Im using right now (with networking) and tried to play zdoom. I am absolutely amazed at how well it runs even with mods, there is almost o differences aside from the autosaves pausing the game for about 2 seconds. Imagine that, A computer running on basic hardware and software being able to run a game like doom (despite its age) without any problems at all. I'm sorry for the dumb post but I'm just really amazed at this.

Maes said:

Now try running GZDoom ;-)

Can't, Im running on VGA graphics card aka the on board graphics card. My graphics card is broken so I can't utilize Opengl.

Doom's software renderer was made specifically to be fast back in the day, and with further optimizations done to it in source ports over the years, it runs very fast indeed. Being a software renderer, it needs the graphic card basically just to display its pixels onto the monitor, which is like the most basic graphical feature.

scifista42 said:

Doom's software renderer was made specifically to be fast back in the day, and with further optimizations done to it in source ports over the years, it runs very fast indeed. Being a software renderer, it needs the graphic card basically just to display its pixels onto the monitor, which is like the most basic graphical feature.

That is just amazing.

thesecondcomingdoom said:

I've run Doom on a 2006 PC before, It runned at 120FPS. (Zandronum)

My pc is from 2004 ( ; u ; )

thesecondcomingdoom said:

I've run Doom on a 2006 PC before, It runned at 120FPS. (Zandronum)

Considering Doom came out 13 years prior. Is that really any surprise?

In fact, why is it any surprise at all that Doom can run on basic hardware 11 years after its release.

I believed that nothing that would run other than a few programs on safe mode, most of the features are disabled even the sound card. games are no exception so I was surprised at how well it ran.

FWIW, if you try running the actual vanilla Doom under pure DOS (not DOSBOX or inside of a VM) on modern hardware, you will find out that it's surprisingly bottlenecked, and won't run as fast as you'd expect. There's an entire thread on this, and I repeated the Doom benchmark myself (essentially, a timedemo on DEMO3 in Shareware Doom) on my Intel Core 2 T8300 laptop, by using a DOS bootable CD-ROM, only to receive the equivalent of 105 fps or so.

Edit: I got about 731 realtics in pure DOS mode (which is about the level of performance of a 200 MHz Pentium), about 500 with DOS running under OracleVM (!), and just under 100 in prBoom+ natively under Windows 7. What's weird here is that the VM got a higher rating than the real DOS, even though it appeared to run slower, but then again, timing accuracy and real-time games isn't exactly what you use VMs for.