131 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Doom
    • Doom II
    • TNT
    • Plutonia
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3
    • Some other megawad (specify in response)

Doom 1 for the atmosphere and maps. Doom 2 for the SSG and all the new monsters. Without these additions, Doom would have much less variety.

Doom 1 might be the least refined, but it has a certain atmosphere, and the experience feels like the game is telling you a story (even if abstract), rather than just being a set of levels for the sake of it like Doom 2 and Final Doom.

Doom 64 definitely felt like they were going for that "telling a story" vibe that many of the other games lacked.

Doom 3 was too linear, cramped, boring, slow, and its story sucked. It was the most hamfisted way of adapting the story to a more modern approach. It feels stuck in its era, and not in a good way like the classics. Still a fun game, despite all that. BFG Edition's changes were generally for the better.

Doom 4 looks like it really "gets it" in a lot of ways. Still waiting to see the final product to be certain.

But that's just my terrible opinion or something.

Doom 4 seems to be getting rid of the exploration and hunting for items factors so I'm not so sure if it really does get it, I hope it won't be an arena shooter like Shadow Warrior 2013.

I wanted to vote Doom 1 because of the nostalgia but it's mostly Episode II which has the standout moments in those respects. So I voted Doom II because even though I've played all those levels a thousand times, there's so many in which I have fond memories of, more so than in Doom 1. I mean come on!
Underhalls!
The Waste Tunnels!
The Crusher!
Tricks N Traps!
Circle of Death!
Downtown!
Industrial Zone!
Gotcha!
Bloodfalls! (That eerie exit)
Monster Condo!
The Spirit World!
The Living End!

And of course, the super shotgun and the new enemies.

Voting Doom 2. What I have played of Plutonia is better still but I haven't played it e ough to fairly compare.

Oh and I've ignored the option for some other megawad because as Alfonzo said it trivialises the results.

my fave oficials are og doom and no rest for the living. my liking of the original doom is curious since i played it much later than doom 2

when it comes to mewads my faves are going down, scythe 2 and btsx 1 and 2

While doom 2 is better for modding due to more enemies and the ssg, for vanilla play the original Doom wins. The level design is far superior in my opinion

TNT because it's not just a WAD... it's a magical journey towards eternal solitude.

(don't be alarmed, thinking about TNT always gets me in a poetic mood)

Doom II.

It's the epitome of everything that Doom set out to be, and it laid the groundwork for all of the weird, wacky, and wonderful level design ideas that have kept me coming back to this community for years now. Also, it gave us The Chasm. Thank you, Doom II.

I just have a weird thing for Doom 64. Though, I prefer playing EX on the PC compared to the original console version because, man... the brightness problems.

You just can't beat the original. Though I also really, really like Doom 64. It's a close rub for me.

I don't even remember what I picked. It was probably either Doom 1 or D64. Maybe Plutonia, I don't know.

It was a difficult choice between Doom II and Plutonia for me. I ended up choosing Plutonia though, mainly because I like its maps more.

Doom 2, possibly because of nostalgia, possibly because I like its additions over Doom 1, was frustrated by Plutonia back when I played it first, disliked some aspects of TNT's level design, disliked most aspects of Doom 3's gameplay and level design, and haven't properly played much of Doom 64 yet, even though I have it.

Cell said:

Episodic canon has always been of a larger priority than vomiting 30+ maps together in a row and call it a storyline. Now guess which I've chosen.

The master levels? ;p

It's a shame that Doom 2 and its successors went for the map** route instead of the episodic route. To me the episodic route is better for coop (gives clearer boundaries)

Danfun64 said:

It's a shame that Doom 2 and its successors went for the map** route instead of the episodic route. To me the episodic route is better for coop (gives clearer boundaries)

This is probably part why I'm noticing a tendency among some wad authors to reduce players to pistol start at various points through their mapsets.