Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Your first Doom experience..

I was at my elder sister's underlease accommodation which she rented with her current boyfriend. His computer had Doom 2 installed on and he let me play it, but as soon as I almost finished Entryway, my sister insisted on me stop playing "that fucking cruel gory violent game" right that instant. Instead, I was forced to play "Charlie", a Mario clone with the exception of the protaginist being a duck. This happened in like 2002 or 2003, me being only about 9-10 years old then.

My neighbor was gone a lot and he let me play games on his PC back in the early 90s. His very sweet wife would look after me as best she could while chasing after her baby, but I could be pretty much left alone while I played SimCity, then Wolfenstein 3D, and then finally one day I came down and saw Doom. Naturally I gave it a shot and I was totally into it; Mrs. Closson didn't seem to see anything wrong with letting 11-year-old me play it. My mom would've hated it, of course.

I spent most of my summer working my way through the shareware episode. I was totally engrossed by it. My mother was/is very religious and controlling, and playing this kind of game was as much an act of rebellion as it was just being fascinated by the violence.

It's funny, because you'd think killing demons would be the most Christian thing you can do. But alas, thou shall not shotgun the Imp.

She's impervious to things like facts and context. It's one of those things I see from a lot of Christians, how they're worried that the satanic imagery you spend the game blowing up will "open you up" to possession or something.

dethtoll said:

She's impervious to things like facts and context. It's one of those things I see from a lot of Christians, how they're worried that the satanic imagery you spend the game blowing up will "open you up" to possession or something.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

My family encouraged me to play the game, and they are Catholic. Well to be fair, most Catholics aren't like bloody evangelicals.

Evangelical Christians are so wrapped up with being Christian they end up being like a Christian Taliban of sorts.

Catholics? We are pretty laid back, we are cool, sure yeah we believe in God, and we go to church every now and then, but we aren't overly crazy like the Evangelicals are.

I mean fuck man, my family's OK with me listening to heavy metal, playing Doom, and also watching Hellsing Abridged, so I don't know why your family is so Taliban bro.

=P

I mean my family thinks Diablo is a cool game series, most of my family played D&D back in the day. =3

Both my parents were raised Catholic. My mom was totally a born-again evangelical though, but she didn't really subscribe to any single denomination by that point.

dethtoll said:

Both my parents were raised Catholic. My mom was totally a born-again evangelical though, but she didn't really subscribe to any single denomination by that point.

Ah! See there's your problem! Your parents became BORN-AGAIN EVANGELICALS! By far the worst Christian denomination there is!

They are so fanatical about being Christian it's scary. It's almost like they are Christian Salafists or Christian ISIS. They are so fanatical about being Christian that they demonize any other Christian sect they deem to be "infidel" or "heretical".

They always demonize us Catholics and Mormons, but the reality is that we are pretty normal and secular compared to those nutjobs.... born-agains tend to be wackos (no offense to any born-agains here.)

No, my mom did. My dad was just a man-child. And as I said, my mom was non-denominational. Evangelicalism isn't a denomination.

I remember the first time I played Doom, on E1M3 I fell into an acid pool in the outdoor area. And I fell not into the middle part with the switch, but into the side part without the switch, so I couldn't get out. And then I watched myself die a very slow death. I was not amused.

My first experience was with Doom 64 back in 1997 when I was 10 years of age, I borrowed it from a friend to play it on my brothers N64.

Doom on the 32x was my first time playing it in late 94/early 95. to me, that was awesome until i saw it on our first family PC later that year and realized how much was lacking in the 32x version.

dethtoll said:

No, my mom did. My dad was just a man-child. And as I said, my mom was non-denominational. Evangelicalism isn't a denomination.

Hmm, I see. Well I'm not really religious, so I feel bad that you had to suffer that utter hell.

On a side note, have you heard of this brilliant Unreal Tournament mod? I know it's a bit off-topic, but here.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/marathon-resurrection

It's pretty sweet man. I <3 Marathon and Doom. I also loved Halo... until Halo 4 came out and ruined everything along with the Xbox One and Halo 5!!!!

Yarrgh!

Here's hoping Bungie remakes Marathon. =3

I'm aware of it, yes. Gave it a try, seems pretty good. I might actually be able to reach the Gherrit White terminal with it. :)

Not played Halo past the original trilogy -- don't particularly see a reason to. Though if they bring Halo 5 to PC I guess I'll give 4 and 5 a shot, as I don't plan on buying an XBone.

I doubt they'll revive Marathon, though Destiny comes pretty close to Marathon's vibe at times despite being a completely different kind of game.

nxGangrel said:

First time I played Doom, it was the summer of 2009. One day my father said that I might like Doom if I liked the games I played at that time. So he built a computer that ran Windows 2000, installed shareware Doom, and I played it... I was terrified, and refused to continue past E1M4 for a while.

Reminds me of my first experience. I was seven when I first tried Doom. It was Doom2, and I was unable to go past Underhalls due to the fear.

Curious. How old are you, Gangrel?

I wanted to be a cool hipster kid and play old video games so I downloaded the doom collection from steam and realized it was way better than any of the modern games I had been playing, and I've never looked back since

Can remember when I started to play. I believe it was somewhere between 2001 and 2003.

I downloaded it from here:
http://takegame.com/shooter/htm/doom1.htm

Monsters speak Russian. Once I figured out that the WAD file was the ressource file, I searched for bigger WAD files on the web thinking that there would be more stuff in them so I could unlock episode 2 and 3. I found the Ultimate Doom's WAD file and duped it in my doom directory. The v1.2 engine and that WAD file didn't work fine together, but that was the only thing I could afford to run on my 333Mhz computer which couldn't run 3D accelerated games.

I first played the shareware from some shovel-ware CD on a friends now defunct brand PC. I believe he had Win95 installed. I remember one version could run speaker sound but another version from a different disk could not.

Being a SNES fan I was amused by the violence.

ChekaAgent said:

I remember the first time I played Doom, on E1M3 I fell into an acid pool in the outdoor area. And I fell not into the middle part with the switch, but into the side part without the switch, so I couldn't get out. And then I watched myself die a very slow death. I was not amused.

You just made me remember that in earlier incarnations of E1M3 (in Doom v0.99 and v1.1) that nukage pool didn't have a switch in the middle, and relied on walkover lines to raise.

This was buggy in combination with savegames though. It would sometimes lead to the floor raising up into the sky, or worse, the floor suddenly dropping 64 units leaving you trapped.

The latter happened to me the first time I played this level and because I didn't know the cheat codes yet, it forced me to restart from a much earlier savegame.

The first time I played Doom was sometime in the late 90s, I don't remember if it was a demo or the full version of Final Doom for the PSX. The level was Attack.wad and I only remember playing it for a while before I fell into a pit of pinkies and was like "what in the world is this" and was 2spooked to play again.

The first time I finished Doom was the GBA version sometime in 2003/2004. I remember being very confused after the final level of that version and thinking "Doesn't this game have a giant spider at the end or something???"

TraceOfSpades said:

Reminds me of my first experience. I was seven when I first tried Doom. It was Doom2, and I was unable to go past Underhalls due to the fear.

Well it seems as if you and Gangrel are pretty young. I'm 16 and I grew up playing Doom, so I guess it kinda depends on how you experienced Doom I guess. =3

I mean I practically grew up playing the shareware version at the age of four...

(Probably not the best thing lol.)

But ultimately, I fucking love Doom and I've played all kinds of Doom mods.

At the present moment, I am utterly obsessed with GZDoom 64 and Demonsteele.....

Demonsteele is awesome! =D

TraceOfSpades said:

I was gonna make a long list of things I'm the same age of but I'm to lazy to...
But to answer your question, I'm currently Sixteen.

nxGangrel said:

I was gonna make a long list of things I'm the same age of but I'm to lazy to...
But to answer your question, I'm currently Sixteen.

YAY! I'm not the only sixteen year old here! =D

Anyway, this is a question not just to you, but to everyone...

Do you prefer Vanilla Doom, PSX Doom, Brutal Doom, Beautiful Doom, or Doom but with a small tiny enhancements that don't interfere with gameplay or aesthetics (i.e Perkristian's smooth weapon animations, blood mods that don't interefere with gameplay, a handful of new monsters.)

I prefer PSX Doom personally. The Lost Levels is awesome! =D

^I prefer Zdoom with little to no effects. Sometimes I'll play with the Black Ops wad and random decoration wads too. And a extra ambient or metal soundtrack if I'm playing Doom 2.

I was looking around on the internet around 2012 or so and found freedm, and played with bots using skulltag (Chubbs + Crash on map02 forever). After doing some more looking around, I found a copy of doom2, downloaded zdoom, and found a list of some wads to play on some blogspot site (I remember it recommending some wads such as the original 1024 and biovite) I loaded up 1024.wad on ITYTD and played it for what seemed like hours. Since I didn't bother to save, I ended up playing about halfway through 1024 multiple times.

A month ago, I downloaded ZDoom and biovite to relive that nostalgia, and it was every bit as good as I remember it.

Gothic Box said:

I was looking around on the internet around 2012 or so and found freedm, and played with bots using skulltag (Chubbs + Crash on map02 forever). After doing some more looking around, I found a copy of doom2 .

Who knows what other IWADs you might find :P .

Not sure really, I think the first time I actually sat down and played Doom properly was a few of years ago in a flash version of the shareware edition. Eventully I stopped just saying Doom is the grandaddy of FPS and tried it.

Now to me Doom is like Hickok45: a grandaddy that just doesn't miss his mark.