Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

what are you working on? I wanna see your wads.

Quineotio said:

I played your level. I mostly enjoyed what's there, but there are a few things I think you can improve. The level of detail is impressive and the sound effects of the "water" are cool and add atmosphere. I died a few times on UV, mainly due to chip damage from hitscanners (and lazy play). Ammo was fairly well balanced in the first half of the level, but I ended up with 100 shells before the "end".

I don't like how many of those little" balconies" open up with hitscan enemies in them. I think it'd be better if those areas were already open, because as it is you're constantly having to backpedal to get line of sight on them (while getting hit by them), and it happens often enough that it's a bit repetitive.

I think you could make a bigger contrast in the lighting between indoor and outdoor sections. At the moment everything kinda blurs together. If you increase the brightness of the outside sectors I think it'll look better.

The level is very monochromatic. I think you could find ways to break up the brown - maybe have some areas a different color, or add some colorful details. Working on the lighting could help this too, but I think you could work on making different areas of the level more distinct.

The fight in the room with the red skull door was set up in a cool way - how all the enemies appear when you enter. But there were too many enemies to fight inside that room, so I just backed out and it became a doorway fight. If you had a few less enemies in the room you could lock the player in and it'd be a good fight.

I hope this helps :)

Cheers. The last point already occurred to me, so that was on the to-do list anyway. But I'll be sure to work on those other points. I'd noticed that in the outdoor areas the rock faces and buildings were rather indistinct and looked too similar at a distance. I tried playing around with some different rock textures, but wasn't having much luck with it, but maybe some different colours will help with that as you say.

The_Trigger said:

Damn, I really like the layout so far :D

The description makes me wanna play this ASAP. Will it be as hard as your other works (swift death...)? :)

Nope :) The wad will be rather easy during the first maps, the difficulty will be close to Sythe, much more accessible.

Something with a sort of Doom 2, Master Levels, and Plutonia smell to it.

Working on a slaughtermap with a bronze and gold theme after I got inspired by playing Sunlust. I'm about 1/4 of the way done with the layout and initial enemy placement. Here are some screenies with no monsters (and without lighting, because I always do that last):

A bit too many hexagons for my taste but I still like what I see in the screenshots :)

Having trouble finding textures I like. It's as if I've grown to detest half the stock textures after all these years. I'll probably end up importing yet more custom ones. Trying to inject a bit of colour and contrast, but it's slow-going:

DooMAD said:

Having trouble finding textures I like. It's as if I've grown to detest half the stock textures after all these years. I'll probably end up importing yet more custom ones. Trying to inject a bit of colour and contrast, but it's slow-going:

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/tab_ad2.png

This looks killer.

No WAD available for now as everything is quite incomplete, but have a pair of videos made to show off the effects:

DooMAD said:

Don't be afraid to be bold. You could make the green in the pillars glowing red fire instead. You could make those TEK pillars bright, as if they're emitting light. You could make the shadows in the buildings darker, which would accentuate the TEK pillars if you lit them.

It's not just about color, but about contrast. If there isn't much contrast in what you're seeing it's going to be less interesting, and harder to distinguish things.

2 months since my last post in this thread and I've made a lot of progress. Spent a lot of time polishing already existing bits of the map and doing some DECORATE stuff while I worked out how I wanted the rest of it to go. Made a few rooms and added tons of puzzles and stuff for the player to figure out. Added two elevators in the main foundry room to give it more of a sense of verticality. Very happy with the results so far.

Also just started working on a four-3D-floor room (one above the other, pictured in the first image, very early progress) and plan to have different rooms, objects and such on each floor. Oh joy, working with 3D floors in Doom is so much fun!

(and, as stated in my last post in this thread, the main foundry "hub" room is still vastly unfinished. Floor, ceiling and wall textures are certainly not 100% and more will definitely be added to the room)

I had a bunch of one-shot maps laying around that nobody much cared for, so I reworked and compiled them into the fifth and final episode of Strange Aeons. I like how E5M9 (Secret) turned out, taking the player to a strangely familiar island.

Spoiler

working on a level for Alfonzo & jmickle six hundred and sixty six thousand, six hundred and sixty six's Roulette idea... I got a "damned graveyard/necropolis" theme but am adding personal stuff to it too. wanna interpret the damned part literally as its intended biblical meaning, eternal punishment, IE. death pits \o/

here's a trapdoor I made out of stock resources lol
https://www.dropbox.com/s/426cejijemf79pk/doom45.bmp?dl=1

Hi, just new in doomworld. I am a very old school doomer and in my days (back in... woaaa to many years now, hahahaha) I created several maps (not very good I think), now I am back designing maps, and I would like to ask the comunnity several things.

I have the plan of making 10 wads and include them all in a pwad in order to play them all together, I mean Map1 then Map2, then Map3, etc... I have already 8 out of 10 maps ready to be tested, I don´t have a tester around these days, so... my doubts/questions:

1.- Is there any way to upload the wads somewhere in a directory like "temp" or "testing" or "betatester" or similar? I mean I would love to get feedback and with that info make the changes needed or forget about that wad or... and then upload the finished pwad (10 maps) for you to "enjoy" and play.

2.- If it is not the case, what do you think is the best way to "send" wads to the betatesters? googledrive? email? how? where? I mean BEFORE upload them when they have passed all testing. :-)

3.- Any betatester around? Hehehe... Oh, I am OLD classic doom2 map builder... so, no new textures, no new UI or anything like that... just classic doom2 maps. I am creating them using doombuilder and testing them in zdoom port... is that the right way these days?

4.- How can I include images here? Hmmm...

PD.- Sorry for my english, It is not my main idiom.

Not so much a WIP anymore, but it is new. Just released this a few weeks ago after about 3 years of work.

Download here: http://alexa.partition36.com/doom/ or on /idgames

It requires GZDoom (I used v2.1.1 for this video) and doom2.wad. Vanilla ZDoom *might* work... but it definitely won't look correct! So just use GZDoom.

All of the music and ambience is written by me. These can be downloaded separately at partition36.com

I know I sorta spammed the quicksave in this, but that was to make sure I could create a smooth, non-interrupted play through video. I died like 5 or 6 times (hence the quicksaves for the video), but I edited these out. So if you hear a weird sorta morph/hiccup in the music, that's why.

Kimota said:

Hi, just new in doomworld. I am a very old school doomer and in my days (back in... woaaa to many years now, hahahaha) I created several maps (not very good I think), now I am back designing maps, and I would like to ask the comunnity several things.

I have the plan of making 10 wads and include them all in a pwad in order to play them all together, I mean Map1 then Map2, then Map3, etc... I have already 8 out of 10 maps ready to be tested, I don´t have a tester around these days, so... my doubts/questions:

1.- Is there any way to upload the wads somewhere in a directory like "temp" or "testing" or "betatester" or similar? I mean I would love to get feedback and with that info make the changes needed or forget about that wad or... and then upload the finished pwad (10 maps) for you to "enjoy" and play.

2.- If it is not the case, what do you think is the best way to "send" wads to the betatesters? googledrive? email? how? where? I mean BEFORE upload them when they have passed all testing. :-)

3.- Any betatester around? Hehehe... Oh, I am OLD classic doom2 map builder... so, no new textures, no new UI or anything like that... just classic doom2 maps. I am creating them using doombuilder and testing them in zdoom port... is that the right way these days?

4.- How can I include images here? Hmmm...

PD.- Sorry for my english, It is not my main idiom.

Hey!
1. The best thing to do is make a thread for your work in progress wad to gather feedback from players interested in testing. You can always update the thread on release and put the end result on the /idgames archive. Screenshots help.

2. There are lots of options, pretty much any stable file sharing site/cloud upload service sees lots of use. Mediafire/dropbox but use whatever works. Bear in mind these links will eventually die so once you finish your maps try to get them archived somewhere.

3. Loads of players play classic Doom maps! When you're making your maps let everyone know what source ports/formats it will be compatible with. Common compatibilities are vanilla doom, limit removing, boom and zdoom.

4. [img]<--! url of image in here -->[/img]

Have fun!

Im burning myself to get a power plant level done for Darkmoon.
Here's the current layout and a screenshot

Good God I wish I could zoom in on that layout pic DMPhobos; that looks awesome! As does the screenshot.

Can't wait for y'all to crank out the next couple maps!

vadrig4r said:

Hey!
1. The best thing to do is make a thread for your work in progress wad to gather feedback from players interested in testing. You can always update the thread on release and put the end result on the /idgames archive. Screenshots help.

2. There are lots of options, pretty much any stable file sharing site/cloud upload service sees lots of use. Mediafire/dropbox but use whatever works. Bear in mind these links will eventually die so once you finish your maps try to get them archived somewhere.

3. Loads of players play classic Doom maps! When you're making your maps let everyone know what source ports/formats it will be compatible with. Common compatibilities are vanilla doom, limit removing, boom and zdoom.

4. <--! url of image in here -->

Have fun!

Tyvm!

Let me test to include here some images from my maps...

Great!

I will do that of making a thread explaining that is a "work in progress", and that is needed some testing. Thank you again!

[quote="Chezza" post="1565264"]
Operation UAC
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/74477-operation-uac-seeking-feedback/

I'm working on a Megawad dedicated to Brutal Doom

Chezza, well done!

I downloaded and played your wad. It crashed fatally after mission 1 (don't know if that was meant to happen) but mission 1 was great! The metal soundtrack reminded me of Quake II. You also know many techniques that I can only dream of!!

^
How did you manage to mess up the quote feature?
*bows to your skills*

AD_79 said:

Working on a spiritual successor to a mapset I made last year. Haven't got any maps done yet so I can't say much for design but this is the basic idea in terms of visuals (posted this in the pictures thread a while back):

http://i.imgur.com/es38yGf.png

note: this is quite an old screenshot

I'm planning on it being faster and harder than the original.

I somehow missed this post, but I'm really glad to hear that you're doing something like Violence; that was a fun map set! Let me know if you want a playtester.

Fonze said:

^
How did you manage to mess up the quote feature?
*bows to your skills*

Isn't it self-gratifying to rip on new members to the forum? Makes you feel real good, huh?