Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

joe-ilya said:

Some Doom2 MIDIs sound strange/unusual/different with OPL2 when used in ultimate doom.

Does the same thing happen the other way?

When your map is just one sectors, weird things are going on. Monsters can't see you, you don't get splash damage when you hit the wall in front of you with a rocket etc. In all source ports afaict.

It depends on the node builder you use. I think it's Zennode that screws up the REJECT lump when your map is a single sector. Source ports just accept the REJECT lump as is, they assume it's a legit usage of REJECT trickery which some wads use on purpose.

scifista42 said:

It depends on the node builder you use. I think it's Zennode that screws up the REJECT lump when your map is a single sector. Source ports just accept the REJECT lump as is, they assume it's a legit usage of REJECT trickery which some wads use on purpose.

Ah yeah, I'm using Zennode for Doom/Boom maps.

If someone can fix it, it is open-source:
http://www.mrousseau.org/programs/ZenNode/

Gez said:

Well yeah, but maybe because of the arrangements/instrument choices, it might not be as noticeable or something.

Alright, I gotta ask about that clicking sound which sometimes occurs when you pass certain linedefs. The most common is under those wooden bridges like in Scythe Map 18, although I've encountered it in various places in other PWADs.

That's just sector floors lowering & reaching their target in the same gametic, the side-effect of dumb faux-3D effects and trickery in the Doom engine.

I hadn't realized that the textures in Doom 64 are actually greyscale and coloured with lighting effects. It makes so much sense now.

BaronOfStuff said:

That's just sector floors lowering & reaching their target in the same gametic, the side-effect of dumb faux-3D effects and trickery in the Doom engine.

Not only with 3D effects. Any platform which can be triggered multiple times does this.

Btw. platforms and stairs didn't make that target clunk sound in v1.2 and earlier.

BaronOfStuff said:

dumb faux-3D effects and trickery in the Doom engine.

Excuse me: Dumb?

In fact, even ground decorations block projectiles in vanilla, but only low enough at their ground level. The true height of their hitbox is typically 16, and they block movement of players and monsters by the sheer power of infinitely tall actors, which projectiles are immune to, but if a projectile hits them less than 16 units above the ground, the projectile will be blocked too, because it actually collides with the decoration's hitbox. In fact, custom DEHACKED-based decorations with increased height of their hitboxes would block projectiles like shootable objects do, and never die. Note that ZDoom changes this behavior.

You can abuse the fuck out of the flaming barrel on dwango5map13 with the BFG as long as you make the ball hit the base in FFA. It's hilarious to see 8 people die at once from that cheap tactic, the cone is completely unblocked and covers practically the whole field!

Doom 3 monsters pain and attack break chance is fubar. You can interrupt zsec's attack with machinegun or pistol, but they recover fast and then it's became harder to stop them. some enemies, like zombies or commando are just flicker without interruption their movement, and most else is just cannot be interrupted at all. it's hillarious to see an imp eating half of machinegun clip without even blinking. The only exception is a mancubus, which can be interrupted but only with high-tier weapons.

this makes fights in doom 3 so annoying, you have to constantly retire and hide

Doom 3's difficulty is trivial even on Veteran if you use the shotgun. The way the majority of encounters are set-up means you can either insta-kill the monster (99% of the time imps) while they're doing their spawning/growling animation or, if they're hitscanners, wait for them to turn around a corner and shoot them once. All other weapons are pointless to use except for the rocket launcher for the rare mancubus/revenant and the machinegun for small/weak enemies like the spiders or lost souls. This works fine up until Hell and beyond where encounters get somewhat complex and you're forced to use the other weapons, by which point the game is nearly over.
The expansion pack was even worse since it gave you those overpowered Heart power-ups.

I've found out that Doom 64 uses little to no special items. I've made it to map 23 on highest difficulty and I've only managed to find: 1 light amplificator, 1 computer map, 1 (i think) invisibility and maybe 5 hazardous suits (which don't look like suits at all btw). On map 31 (Void) I found some sort of weird artifact, but I didn't manage to get it. I've heard that the unmaker thing can be upgraded, so maybe it was that upgrade.

Btw, I also noticed that Doom 64 can 3D-floors (room over room).

Interesting game, actually. Maybe will find out more soon...

ChekaAgent said:

Btw, I also noticed that Doom 64 can 3D-floors (room over room).

Nah, they're faked.

(20 * 2/3) + (128 * 2/3) should add up to 98% health lost because of rounding down, shouldn't it?

Linguica said:

(20 * 2/3) + (128 * 2/3) should add up to 98% health lost because of rounding down, shouldn't it?

No, it is 99 hp loss because it won't round the damage down. It is 148 damage hit and the damage won't disappear because of rounding. Health gets reduced first before armor. So if you take 100*1dmg hits from rocket blasts, you will die without losing any armor. For example, hell knights wouldn't be able to do 64 damage IF it was rounded (with armor), right?

Playing through Doom II, first time in a very long while. On map 03: The Gantlet I never knew about that backpack secret (unmarked), and that the teleporter that can also bring you to it. I think that's the first backpack of the game?

Piper Maru said:

I think that's the first backpack of the game?

It is indeed - very sneaky little secret, huh?

Doomkid said:

It is indeed - very sneaky little secret, huh?

It most certainly is! I can't believe how I could have missed it after all this time.

Piper Maru said:

It most certainly is! I can't believe how I could have missed it after all this time.

You probably didn't, it was added in 1.9. So you probably played 1.666/1.7/1.8 back in the day.

MetroidJunkie said:

Don't the sectors just quickly move up and down silently as you turn a corner?

Yes. There are two effects to simulate floor-over-floor in Doom 64.

The first is to have floor and ceiling moving instantly and silently, which is made possible by the fact Doom 64 does not support multiplayer so the player cannot break the illusion (except with a noclip cheat).

The second is a renderer trick in sky sectors. Contrarily to PC Doom, the Doom 64 engine will render what is behind a lower sky ceiling. That effect is used notably for the little hovering platform right at the start of MAP01: Staging Area, as seen on this screenshot. It looks like 3D floors this way, but you have to keep the player's viewpoint below the lower ceilings or the illusion would be broken, because they aren't actually 3D floors, if you raised the viewpoint above you wouldn't see a flat texture on them and you most definitely couldn't move over them.

If you convert that map to PC format and load it, you'll get a column of sky above each platform, hiding the walls and non-sky ceilings behind it.

The few times I checked Doom's Read This menu I skimmed through it and never knew about the automap controls. Actually reading it today and learning that you can mark places blew my mind.