Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EdwunclerIII

most emotional parts of Doom 64?

There already is a PC port of Turok 2 (It was like the original PC Port of the first Turok where it wasn't as well known as the original N64 release) plus Night Dive are working on a remaster as well which should come out sometime this year.

For me personally? It'd probably be In the Void.... the fucking fog and hearing the disturbing music, coupled with the crucified corpses, and the scary-as-hell enemies always puts a chill down my spine.

Even to this day, Doom 64 will remain to be a disturbing game to me. Doom 3 doesn't hold a candle to any of the fucked up shit in Doom 64.

Though I will admit the backwards Latin chanting and weird demon head popping out of a wall terrified the shit out of me... as did the skeleton suddenly coming to life in the ventilation shaft.

Though Doom 64 overall, it just had a fucking creepy vibe, and it always constantly perplexes me as to why Doom 64 is never featured on any top 10 scariest video games list.

IMHO it should make #1, 2, or 3!

I mean Doom 64, Alien Isolation, and Silent Hill 2 are pretty terrifying games... that's like my unholy trinity of terrifying games lol.

Thank fuck for that remaster of Turok 2 on the way, because the PC port in my experience was impossible to run the single player executable even with the fan fixes supplied on Win 10. I read that something weird happens on 64-bit OSes involving an older version of what would become securom buried in the executable triggering itself on a 64-bit OS even after you cracked the executable (claimed it couldn't find the CD). I can't remember the exact details but I just know it refused to run last time. And when I could run it via nglide it didn't even go into full screen properly. It worked on my Win 7 32-bit though.

So many great memories, great parts of the game. As mentioned, In the Void was perfection. The intro set it up perfectly too, as I recall the text on screen finished with something like "You've entered a place no living human was meant to see" and it really felt that way. The secret levels were all really good, this was one of my biggest problems with the TC was that they fucked with the secret levels for no reason. Such an underrated game. I think one reason I liked Doom 3 was because I always thought D64 was the best Doom game. Doom 64 feels like it meets Doom and Doom 3 in the middle.

For me, Doom 3 was essentially a bunch of jump scares spread out over a 10 hour campaign.
Doom 64 is much more than just simple jump scares, the foreboding atmosphere of the levels and the brilliant soundtrack do a far better job of instilling horror and dread than jump scares ever will (Also think of the first 4 Silent Hill games to this effect as well).

vinnie245 said:

They were even planning on doing a Doom 64 2 but due to poor sales and fully 3D FPS games really hitting their stride it obviously fell through (Which is a shame, i would of LOVED another 32 levels with even more hellish atmosphere)

D64 EX community project?

Cyanosis said:

I read that something weird happens on 64-bit OSes involving an older version of what would become securom buried in the executable triggering itself on a 64-bit OS even after you cracked the executable (claimed it couldn't find the CD).

I always disliked piracy detection that silently broke the game, just seems sort of self-defeating in how it can at times unintentionally make the real thing look buggy or poorly-balanced, especially when there's a tendency to trip on a legit copy. At least Spyro 3 flat-out told you the disc you were playing was sketchy before it did all the insidious shit.

I would have to say that currently the black sheep of the Doom series is my favorite. I've been playing Doom 64 almost exclusively these days, there is just something about it that resonates with me. I've been a fan of the Doom games since 1993, I still have my original copies of Doom/Hell on Earth/Master Levels/Final Doom. And than I discovered the Playstation version which had a slightly different approach. Moody lighting, an eerie ambient soundtrack and overall a darker tone. Then in 1997 my brother introduced me to Doom 64 and at first it looked and seemed very different, but it was very much still Doom at it's heart. I get the criticisms of the game, but I'm a definite fan of it. It very much feels like it shares Quake's Lovecraft influence.

Favorite Doom 64 maps are:

Staging Area
Holding Area
Tech Center
Alpha Quadrant
Final Outpost
Altar of Pain
Dark Citadel
Dark Entries
Watch Your Step
Spawned Fear
Break Down
Pitfalls
Burnt Offerings
In The Void

Piper Maru said:

I would have to say that currently the black sheep of the Doom series is my favorite. I've been playing Doom 64 almost exclusively these days, there is just something about it that resonates with me. I've been a fan of the Doom games since 1993, I still have my original copies of Doom/Hell on Earth/Master Levels/Final Doom. And than I discovered the Playstation versiosn which had a slightly different approach. Moody lighting, an eerie ambient soundtrack and overall a darker tone. Then in 1997 my brother introduced me to Doom 64 and at first it looked and seemed very different, but it was very much still Doom at it's heart. I get the criticisms of the game, but I'm a definite fan of it. It very much feels like it shares Quake's Lovecraft influence.

Favorite Doom 64 maps are:

Staging Area
Holding Area
Tech Center
Alpha Quadrant
Final Outpost
Altar of Pain
Dark Citadel
Dark Entries
Watch Your Step
Spawned Fear
Break Down
Pitfalls
Burnt Offerings
In The Void

Agreed. I'd just add one more map to that list.

Cat and Mouse.... that level is fucking terrifying IMHO.

And I too have found myself playing Doom 64 non-stop. And if I'm not playing Doom 64, I'm playing PSX Doom.

vinnie245 said:

They were even planning on doing a Doom 64 2 but due to poor sales and fully 3D FPS games really hitting their stride it obviously fell through (Which is a shame, i would of LOVED another 32 levels with even more hellish atmosphere)
The whole game is terrific but my 2 favorite levels have to be Dark Citadel and Breakdown, Amazing levels with amazing music/atmosphere.
I wish they would of done more with the Void style, so many creative things could of been implemented (Level geometry disappearing and reappearing in strange ways for one)
And yeah having 2 thirds of the game be entirely set in hell really added to the ambience in general, in most Doom games it's the opposite way round (And even less so in Doom 3, lucky to get 30 mins in hell lol)

From what little we know of it, what you missed was a Turok: Rage Wars style DM-focused game, not another 32-level megawad.
Doom Absolution

Have only played 64 a few times and it wasn't for me, but I liked the music and atmosphere on Map 15. The music and surroundings really work together well.

Let's talk a different emotion, like marrow-freezing terror: the Baron of Hell's wake sound in this game can scare the pants off you. Especially say in a dark room when nothing has happened for a few minutes and the soundtrack is in a quiet part, you're kind of relaxed, and then you trip a walkover linedef and open a monster closet close behind you with a Baron in it. I'm pretty sure I pissed myself at least once playing this as a teenager. This goes way beyond jump-scare material, at least to me.

Face23785 said:

Let's talk a different emotion, like marrow-freezing terror: the Baron of Hell's wake sound in this game can scare the pants off you. Especially say in a dark room when nothing has happened for a few minutes and the soundtrack is in a quiet part, you're kind of relaxed, and then you trip a walkover linedef and open a monster closet close behind you with a Baron in it. I'm pretty sure I pissed myself at least once playing this as a teenager. This goes way beyond jump-scare material, at least to me.

Yeah... let's not forget the Nightmare Spectres that I SWEAR are invisible until they pop up and fucking terrify you and oh man they are just.... terrifying.

There are a lot of enemies, especially on higher difficulties, that pop up out of thin air to jumpscare you, and barons can do that too. I recently beat Doom 64 and there were a lot of moments when I really flinched when enemy poped out.

Also, this face-on-a-spike sprite can give you nightmares:

I don't understand how theres emotion to be had here. It was a fun but I never felt anything on an emotional level.

DoomzRules said:

Cat and Mouse.... that level is fucking terrifying IMHO.

Agreed, thank god it's only accessible through cheats.

Doom 3 was a good game, don't get me wrong. I just believe that Doom 64 is faster paced and is in general more fun. Plus in Doom 3 the monsters just fade away, while in all the classic Doom games they stayed there, no matter how you killed them.

WilliamPlaysDooM said:

Plus in Doom 3 the monsters just fade away, while in all the classic Doom games they stayed there, no matter how you killed them.

The "Demons" fade away, when zombies bodies and alike stayed .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

The "Demons" fade away, when zombies bodies and alike stayed .

I know, but if you shot the zombies enough, they would disintegrate.

Piper Maru said:

Actually, some of the monsters in Doom 64 faded away. Watch Your Step and No Escape come to mind.

For memory control, mostly. Freeing up those corpses in an area you're about to leave, or that's about to repopulate, makes sure future battles don't exceed any heap limitations via fireballs, blood splats, or bullet puffs. In the latter case it keeps the FPS up as well.

WilliamPlaysDooM said:

Agreed, thank god it's only accessible through cheats.

Let's just hope so... I heard GZDoom 64 reinserted it.... *shudders*

Quasar said:

For memory control, mostly. Freeing up those corpses in an area you're about to leave, or that's about to repopulate, makes sure future battles don't exceed any heap limitations via fireballs, blood splats, or bullet puffs. In the latter case it keeps the FPS up as well.

You don't want any slowdown while fighting a Cyberdemon or the Mother Demon, that's for true.

WilliamPlaysDooM said:

I know, but if you shot the zombies enough, they would disintegrate.

That's the engine, gib physics sucked there .

MrGlide said:

I don't understand how theres emotion to be had here. It was a fun but I never felt anything on an emotional level.

In regards to emotions;

Nowadays, the game doesn't scare me anymore. I've played through Doom 64 so many times now it's all just second nature to me. But back in the day the game had the same effect on me as the original Resident Evil. Starting up Doom 64 late at night it instilled a sense of impending Doom (hahah) and dread. The darkness combined with the eerie lighting, the haunting ambiance that sent shivers down my spine, not to mention the monsters that would on occasion appear out of thin air (literally). Many of the levels gave the impression of complete desolation, you're the only human being left on what feels like a ghost ship haunted by demons. And Doom 64 succeeded in giving that feeling. Midway did an outstanding job, too bad the game fell into obscurity. But it seems, to me at least, it's found a new life thanks to the Dooming community and Doom 64 EX.

Considering Nintendo's stance on the use of religious symbols in their games, I'm surprised Doom 64 got away with so much. They removed all religious symbolism from Duke 64, whether it be crosses and chapels (Map 03 comes to mind). In fact, I'd argue the N64 was the most lax third party game system of all Nintendo's consoles. I guess competition from the more adult Genesis and Playstation pressured them to be less child friendly.

The demons fading in out of nowhere was scripted right?

And what's up with GZDoom 64? Is it different than the Doom 64 EX? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you use GZDoom to play the EX anyway?

Face23785 said:

but I thought you use GZDoom to play the EX anyway?

I think EX is based on Doomsday engine.