Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyRaptor

I feel like a moron for not knowing this, but...

Okay, I'm trying to add a new map in my wad file but I dunno how to do it. I've already got a Map01 done but I'd like to start a Map02 in the same wad. I'm running WadAuthor.

I've tried going to View>Select Map; that works for doom2.wad but not for mine. I assume that's because it doesn't have any levels besides Map01.

The config file is correct, so I dunno what's wrong. Could somebody help this dumbass? TIA.

i always make all the levels in their own seperate wads, and when its all done I merge the wads with xwe

I could do that, but do you know if it's at all possible to make them all with one wad? I just figure it'd be cleaner that way.

If you want to use DCK, all you need to do is to make a new map, then save it as the wadfile you want to put that map in. It has the option of choosing the map number when you want to save it.

The only way you can do it with WadAuthor is to start a new map, do the first sector or two, save it, then go to Wintex (or whatever you use) and cut-and-paste it into your wad.

CyRaptor said:

I could do that, but do you know if it's at all possible to make them all with one wad? I just figure it'd be cleaner that way.

WadAuthor does not currently allow the insertion of a new map into an existing wad, nor does it allow wad-merging (like WinTex, for example). You can only create single maps.

If you wish to create and edit multiple maps in the same wad using WadAuthor, the best way to do it is:

1. Create your first map (using, say, WadAuthor)
2. Assign it a map number, say Map01
3. Create your second map
4. Assign it a new map number, say Map02
5. Repeat the steps listed above for as many maps as you intend to have in your wad.
6. Merge all your maps into a single wad using WinTex, XWE or DeepSea.

You can even do the steps listed above using dummy maps (i.e., maps only consisting of a single sector). After they've been merged into one wad you can go into individual maps and create your full maps.

What I did was, edit the WCF file and create a new map using WA. Saved it with a filename "Doom2Map01.wad" etc etc. Then, whenever I need that map in my wad, just copied it, and merged it with Wintex.

CyRaptor said:

Okay, I'm trying to add a new map in my wad file but I dunno how to do it. I've already got a Map01 done but I'd like to start a Map02 in the same wad. I'm running WadAuthor.

I've tried going to View>Select Map; that works for doom2.wad but not for mine. I assume that's because it doesn't have any levels besides Map01.

The config file is correct, so I dunno what's wrong. Could somebody help this dumbass? TIA.

Your not dumb. THE PROGRAM IS DUMB.
Unless you crack/buy the fucking thing you cant use more than one map in one wad. USE DEEPSEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Deepsea and just do a group save when you are ready to save the group. I think it is better to have them separate till you have them done however, but you may not.

RailGunner said:

Your not dumb. THE PROGRAM IS DUMB.

Um, yes whatever. Not another this editor is better flamewar.

RailGunner also said:

Unless you crack/buy the fucking thing you cant use more than one map in one wad. USE DEEPSEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the full version of Wad Author you can use more than one map per wad. You just need to merge a second pwad file with the original one, making sure the second is a blank map02.

Searcher said:

I think it is better to have them separate till you have them done

Not necessarily so. If your wad includes new graphics, music, sounds, etc., then you may find it easier to have all your maps in the same wad. (I know that you don't need to have the maps in the same wad as the graphics, but I find that it simplifies things.)

if only somebody [*SNAP!* You no longer have a head. Watch your account getting deleted next time - red. Mordeth] :p
i'm not gonna pay for a doom EDITOR!
maybie for a game but not an editor?

It's a never ending story..."your editor sucks! Mine rocks!" Cut it out man! If you like an editor and it does what you want it to do then use it and let me play some good maps! Jeez!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT