Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EdwunclerIII

most emotional parts of Doom 64?

Technician said:

Considering Nintendo's stance on the use of religious symbols in their games, I'm surprised Doom 64 got away with so much. They removed all religious symbolism from Duke 64, whether it be crosses and chapels (Map 03 comes to mind). In fact, I'd argue the N64 was the most lax third party game system of all Nintendo's consoles. I guess competition from the more adult Genesis and Playstation pressured them to be less child friendly.

They censored MK on SNES but had a game called Doom Troopers that had everything from heads getting blown off, enemies' guts falling out, and blood splattering everywhere from machine gun fire and explosions. Nice double standard there Nintendo.

It also was rated T.

Technician said:

Considering Nintendo's stance on the use of religious symbols in their games, I'm surprised Doom 64 got away with so much. They removed all religious symbolism from Duke 64, whether it be crosses and chapels (Map 03 comes to mind). In fact, I'd argue the N64 was the most lax third party game system of all Nintendo's consoles. I guess competition from the more adult Genesis and Playstation pressured them to be less child friendly.

I had this religious friend who said Doom 64 was a very evil and wicked game. It actually made him cry, especially when Map 12: Altar of Pain loaded up. Once he heard the ambient music and saw the religious symbols in parts of the map he got up and left. He actually said that he would pray for me. I don't get how some folks can be so deeply offended by a video game, of all things.

Piper Maru said:

I had this religious friend who said Doom 64 was a very evil and wicked game. It actually made him cry, especially when Map 12: Altar of Pain loaded up. Once he heard the ambient music and saw the religious symbols in parts of the map he got up and left. He actually said that he would pray for me. I don't get how some folks can be so deeply offended by a video game, of all things.

Speaking as a religious person, some people get overwhelmed by a "faux holiness" that makes them feel if they see something like Doom, they have to fight it...or something.

I never really understood it myself, as in Doom you fight the demons.

Also, Hello!

And I never really found doom 64 to be "emotional" in that sense.

Lord_Kane said:

Speaking as a religious person, some people get overwhelmed by a "faux holiness" that makes them feel if they see something like Doom, they have to fight it...or something.

Also, Hello!

Welcome to the forums!

let see, Doom 64... it never really triggered me on an emotional level, mostly because the first time i played the game, i was well into my teens, so i guess i was more emotionally prepared for the game. plus, the original Doom never struck me as scary, so this new Doom game i hadn't played before was just as okay too. i'd have to give it another chance when i'm able to, because i really want to finish the game someday.

that being said, one of the songs in the game, i think map5 and 6, has this really distracting, high-pitched noise coming in that felt very weird and otherworldly to me. that, and Dark Citadel's music is probably the most frightening stuff in the game.

Jaxxoon R said:

I always disliked piracy detection that silently broke the game, just seems sort of self-defeating in how it can at times unintentionally make the real thing look buggy or poorly-balanced, especially when there's a tendency to trip on a legit copy. At least Spyro 3 flat-out told you the disc you were playing was sketchy before it did all the insidious shit.

heh, that reminds me of Earthbound's copy-right protection. if you somehow managed to crack into the game and play it, the game silently gives you the finger by increasing the random encounter rate ten fold, to try and stop you from getting anywhere. as if that wasn't enough, when you get to the final boss, the game just freezes, and deletes all your saved data. kind of funny how they went into that much length of copy-right protection, really.

MrGlide said:

I don't understand how theres emotion to be had here. It was a fun but I never felt anything on an emotional level.

i think peoples perception of being emotionally affected by horror like Doom 64 all differs from person to person. personally, it never affected ME emotionally, but i can see how the dark, dreary, and hell, downright depressive atmosphere can get to you if you stop for a moment to take it all in.

Doomhuntress said:

that being said, one of the songs in the game, i think map5 and 6, has this really distracting, high-pitched noise coming in that felt very weird and otherworldly to me.

I think you are referring to map 8 music. The music there is a loud repeating wind-like noise. Kinda spooky.

Doomhuntress said:

that, and Dark Citadel's music is probably the most frightening stuff in the game.

Yeah, Dark Citadel is easily the scariest map in the game. Scary music, creepy map design, a ton of traps and a lot of gore sprites everywhere.

There's also Breakdown. The map itself is not really scary (it's quite bright), but the music is something... The entire track is some creepy alien voice mixed with roars of tortured demons..

The traps also play big role in the overall feeling of the game. The emotional aspect here is that whenever I was killed by a trap, I was angry!! That's very emotional!!

Piper Maru said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've heard so far. I have some religious friends who say they love Doom, because you get to kill demons. I'm Catholic, but not very religious, and I fucking love Doom 64!

Oh and Map 12 of Doom 64 is my favourite map! =D

Lord_Kane said:

Also, Hello!

Hello and welcome to the forums!

DoomzRules said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry, but that's the funniest thing I've heard so far. I have some religious friends who say they love Doom, because you get to kill demons. I'm Catholic, but not very religious, and I fucking love Doom 64!

Oh and Map 12 of Doom 64 is my favourite map! =D

I think some people just need to get a grip.

Piper Maru said:

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I think some people just need to get a grip.

Agreed. Some people are just too damn sensitive......

To be honest, too many people refuse to question their own beliefs.

Xenoblade Chronicles made me question my beliefs, and for that I fucking love that game (for more reasons than one.)

MrGlide said:

I don't understand how theres emotion to be had here. It was a fun but I never felt anything on an emotional level.

Yeah I'm really not getting this thread at all. Granted I was a kid when I first got into doom so everything was just like "wow look at that". In psxdoom some level had crying baby music and I was just confused as to why there would even be a baby crying, like that doesn't even phase me. Also the stuff about dead humans and gibs and whatever is pretty ridiculous seeing as you straight up slaughter tons of demons per map. How do you get emotional playing doom?

Hoodie said:

How do you get emotional playing doom?

I dunno about you, but there's certain iconic scenes that were very viscerally emotional for me, from some of my favorite sci-fi/action films. Alien, Aliens, Total Recall, Terminator, Predator, Event Horizon, you know, stuff like that. It's this blend of horror, adrenaline-induced excitement, fear, not to mention those difficult-to-describe feelings that are created by strong art design (set pieces, lighting, costumes, props). For me this translates directly to Doom.

GoatLord said:

I dunno about you, but there's certain iconic scenes that were very viscerally emotional for me, from some of my favorite sci-fi/action films. Alien, Aliens, Total Recall, Terminator, Predator, Event Horizon, you know, stuff like that. It's this blend of horror, adrenaline-induced excitement, fear, not to mention those difficult-to-describe feelings that are created by strong art design (set pieces, lighting, costumes, props). For me this translates directly to Doom.

I commend you for trying, but I think this is one of those things that can't be successfully explained to someone who doesn't get it already.

After going through some of the latter levels, I often found myself in utter fear to continue because enemies were in places you wouldn't expect. When they appeared in front of me I nearly jumped out of my skin.

Hard question for me.. this whole game was just unsettling to me. Loved it.

I always find it amusing how part of the reason for Doom 64 2 getting canned was the engine being considered too dated... yet here, pushing 20 years later.. it looks and runs better than any 3D shooter on the platform.

Doom 64 in retrospect seems like a game that they shouldn't have made for business reasons.. but my god I'm so glad they did.

I remember picking up Doom 64 when it was first released back in 1997, it's been 17 years since that day. I get very emotional thinking about the passing of time, even more so when I think back to playing the original Doom in 1993. I still have my original copies of all the Doom games, they're things that I've held onto for so long. I know it's tacky and all, but Doom has always had a place in my gaming heart. Oh the emotions.

The whole game was depressing, especially that ending. I feel the ending Is a good send-off for DOOM, but alas, I suppose the new DOOM will be continuing the story (In my eyes at least).

The music and overall feeling of the game gave me chills down my spine, It even managed to kick my anxiety to max, which doesn't really happen to me when I play DOOM.

DOOM 64, In my opinion, Is a amazing DOOM experience, along with PSX DOOM. And I'd take It any day.

For me I think it's the start of MAP17: Watch Your Step. You hear that indescribable musical cue starting the song as the screen fades up from black to reveal a looming demonic Stonehenge, some sort of gigantic Lovecraftian focus point of occult energies just before you, cast against a scorched, burnt sky. And if you have played the level before, you know what awaits, and it adds to that little feeling of despair that suggests you have reached the precipice of the true pits of Hell and are as far separated from the rest of humanity as is possible. You are alone, and you cannot turn back.

Another similar moment where everything just aligns this way is in MAP10: The Bleeding, when you open one of the doors and see the desolate expanse rimmed by ragged mountains all around you, and the song fits it perfectly. You've just entered Hell at this point, so this is just really immersing you into what lays ahead.

I mean artistically it's really cool but I never felt a bump of emotion or fear playing it. It could be a just me thing though, I'm not wired like alot of people honestly.

In addition to my earlier post, I think the track Blood Red Shadows (Map 17: Watch Your Step) really sets the mood. I love all of Doom 64, but they really went above and beyond with the hell setting.

Piper Maru said:

In addition to my earlier post, I think the track Blood Red Shadows (Map 17: Watch Your Step) really sets the mood. I love all of Doom 64, but they really went above and beyond with the hell setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHBhw-0nPY

Hell ya the music was really cool I agree, Do you know wich track had the bee's in the pop can, that was really fun sounding as well.

Guest Unregistered account

Whenever I fought a Pain Elemental. Doom 64 made me realize exactly what that enemy is: it's an evil, demonic parasite that literally eats peoples' souls.
It then forces them to fight for it.
I was reminded of this from its grotesque appearance: a messed-up indescribable floaty thingy with two stretched mouths...

And that laugh. That horrible, horrible laugh.