Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Merge DoomGLES Engine with GZDoom or Zandronum

Hi Guys ,

There is an app which i used on my android called DoomGLES , it's a source port which runs doom wads...

The app is very good because the sprites will turn into 3D models...

With that engine and the GZDoom playing doom will be a lot more better.'

Is there any engine which uses both DoomGLES and GZDoom abilities ?

I am going to assume this is GPLed because it is sold at a price (the original Doom source license does not permit commercial usage at all), however GZDoom is not GPLed (from what I know) so code integration would be legally challenging.

GhostlyDeath said:

I am going to assume this is GPLed because it is sold at a price (the original Doom source license does not permit commercial usage at all), however GZDoom is not GPLed (from what I know) so code integration would be legally challenging.

I can't find any source over there. But if it's really based on the old ZDoomGL, I wouldn't bother anyway, that was one of the most incomprehensible pieces of Doom related software I've ever seen, nice light effects or not.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Just get 3D Models addon for GZDoom, you don't have to merge them uselessly .

By Unkown reason i cannot connect google from my device and get an SSL Connection error.

Can you tell me where ?

EDIT : After searching i got no good results...

Cannot add the GZ-Models to GZDoom..

I created a skins folder in GZDoom Directory ,

Copied the file there ,

Opened the ZDoom-Username.ini file ,

In the [Doom.AutoLoad] i added :

Path=$PROGDIR/skins/GZ-Models-r16.pk3
But after running the GZDoom no result.

Zan-Models-Full-r16.pk3 worked fine in the Zandronum...

That's because the skins folder is for loading skins. It's not supposed to be a general autoload folder. In other words: It only loads files from there which actually may contain skins.

PK3's cannot contain skins so the engine doesn't even try loading them from there.

For that the autoload sections in the INI file exist.

In interest of making this actually worth a thread, OpenGLES2 routines would be a win for GZDoom as far as I'm concerned, because that would enable many phone ports, as well as a Raspberry Pi 2/3 port. It could also help clean up some of the older GL code.

It's not really a radical idea, and most drivers support GLES2 now anyway, so why not?

Graf Zahl said:

That's because the skins folder is for loading skins. It's not supposed to be a general autoload folder. In other words: It only loads files from there which actually may contain skins.

So i should create another folder ?

Graf Zahl said:

PK3's cannot contain skins so the engine doesn't even try loading them from there.

So why Zandronum does recognize them in skins folder ?

Let's don't forget that zandronum was based on (G)ZDoom...

Graf Zahl said:

For that the autoload sections in the INI file exist.

i used Doom.AutoLoad section and the skins folder was created by myself and didn't exist there before...

Danfun64 said:

The Doommer: GZDoom already supports 3d models, and has already been ported to Android in the form of D-Touch.

Although, DoomGLES does have some effects that are beyond GZDoom's abilities like refraction and solar flare. Granted, D-Touch is obviously very superior in terms of flexibility due to ACS scripting but DoomGLES has a moderate edge visually.

@The Doommer : You sure models are turned on in options ?, if so try loading the pk3 manually using -file command line parameter , of course you need OpenGL Mode turned on .

MetroidJunkie said:

Although, DoomGLES does have some effects that are beyond GZDoom's abilities like refraction and solar flare. Granted, D-Touch is obviously very superior in terms of flexibility due to ACS scripting but DoomGLES has a moderate edge visually.

http://i.playground.ru/i/90/94/27/00/pix/image.jpg

I'll admit, shaders like these would be a nice option for Sector_SetPlaneReflection and/or a GLDEFS effect like the existing glowing flats.

Gez said:

I'll admit, shaders like these would be a nice option for Sector_SetPlaneReflection and/or a GLDEFS effect like the existing glowing flats.

I can only repeat what I've been telling for the last 10+ years:

If you find someone with the skills to implement such stuff in GZDoom I'll happily accept their contributions.

But as it stands, since the first GZDoom release not one single person has come forward and asking if he may join.

The guy who made DoomGLES most likely could but, given DoomGLES is a commercial product, probably isn't willing to do it just out of the kindness of his heart. There are people with the ability to do it and people who would be willing to do it, but finding one who's both seems to be the hard part.

MetroidJunkie said:

The guy who made DoomGLES most likely could but, given DoomGLES is a commercial product

So where is the source code, then?
Either it's commercial which means GPL or it's illegal.

Graf Zahl said:

So where is the source code, then?
Either it's commercial which means GPL or it's illegal.

This rabbit hole goes deep. So it's developed by Kokak, who also made DoomGL ZDoomGL and GLHeretic which DoomGL and thus DoomGLES is based on (as far as I can tell). Perhaps it has something to do with the muddied issue of the original Raven source code license?

I found this thread referencing it before (Gez and Chungy's posts in particular). Unless Michael 'Kokak' turns up to explain the exact origins it looks like you're right. Interestingly according to its history Zenimax are already aware of DoomGLES and took it down last year—but only due it containing the shareware .wad—before reinstating it.

At the very least Zenimax have given it carte blanche to be sold at this point, though the license is still unclear.

It doesn't matter where what source comes from - the only way he can legally release it commercially is by using the GPL.

Both the original Doom license and Raven's license have a 'no commercial use' clause.