1. 1. Pick your religion:

• Christian
    • Islamic
    • Atheist / Agnostic
    • Hindu
    • Jewish
    • Buddhist
    • Impse / Other

I figured, since everyone is being respectful in the other "what religion do you believe" thread, it would be nice to get a sampling that had less... Limited poll options. Nearly everyone picked "christian" or "other" in the previous thread, which aren't very interesting results.

I'm curious what Doomworlders believe, according to the numbers. Do not be an asshole in this thread, that's basically the main rule here!

My minds urges to be an atheist.
My mom forces me to be Islamic.

I do believe there is a higher power, just not some "omniscent omnipotent creator".

Science. Everything around works on that. Chemistry, biology, physics, etc. What I'm saying is that I believe there is a God. But not 1) a man 2) a woman 3) a powerful and sentient being. A phenomenon of science created with science. Which later gone through a reaction to produce the universe. With science of course.

I don't know how to explain it properly, but that'll do for now.

Baptized Mormon, but I never really practiced it or went to church. I've never even read the Book of Mormon since it's basically the same weird writing style as the Bible but with 50 trillion instances of "and it came to pass" beginning every bit.

All religions are just silly. If there was a god, truly omnipotent, perfect, it wouldn't be anything humans would understand or be as important to it as they think themselves to be. The idea of something utterly undying and immortal is in itself pretty otherworldly, every system breaks down. Even the universe itself is doomed to entropy and, essentially, death.

Raised Christian.

Still Christian, but for many it is some bizarre "liberal" open minded (at least I hope I am) Christianity.

Well I try to be open minded. but being human I fail sometimes.

Been like this religiously for 30 years.

Islamic, atheist, islamic,atheist- AHH!

Which do I press!?

Q:Are the ones who pressed Atheist, have people who are fine with it? Or just in the inside, you are an atheist?

Heh - seeing "Atheist / Agnostic" listed as a religion reminded me of an old Irish joke, the punch line of which goes "is that Catholic Atheist or Protestant Atheist?".

I'm a lapsed christian and cynical atheist who's probably leaning towards apatheism.

Born jewish but I am an Atheist in my heart and in my mind. The idea/concept of a God makes me sick to my stomach.

THERE IS NO GOD.

(I chose Atheist/Agnostic, and I'm actually surprised it's the majority for now).

Zed said:

(I chose Atheist/Agnostic, and I'm actually surprised it's the majority for now).

Why? Atheist has become pretty mainstream in western societies.

I put Christain down though as mentioned earlier that's not super accurate. I did so before seeing Impse. I would gladly pray to Impse and be rewarded with 100 Imp virgins to do in real life H-Doom.

The belief in a god (as described in all major religious books/texts/tales/whatever), and even moreso the practice of a religion "as described" in the aforementioned texts is simply mindblowingly stupid.

What annoys me the most is people who just go with the "flow" and say "Im jewish" or "Im christian" when they actually really isn't, they were just born into jewish or christian families. Fucking think for yourself.
I hear a lot that "as long as they dont bother me its fine". Bullshit. Sooner or later religion will interfere with law and fuck up everything. Ban this, ban that, no abortions, no stem cell research, the list goes on.

This was poorly written, but Im in a hurry and the topic makes me fucking angry, so goodbye.

Tetzlaff said:

Why? Atheist has become pretty mainstream in western societies.

Well, at least in Mexico, it is quite rare.

darkreaver said:

The belief in a god (as described in all major religious books/texts/tales/whatever), and even moreso the practice of a religion "as described" in the aforementioned texts is simply mindblowingly stupid.

What annoys me the most is people who just go with the "flow" and say "Im jewish" or "Im christian" when they actually really isn't, they were just born into jewish or christian families. Fucking think for yourself.
I hear a lot that "as long as they dont bother me its fine". Bullshit. Sooner or later religion will interfere with law and fuck up everything. Ban this, ban that, no abortions, no stem cell research, the list goes on.

This was poorly written, but Im in a hurry and the topic makes me fucking angry, so goodbye.

darkreaver said:

What annoys me the most is people who just go with the "flow" and say "Im jewish" or "Im christian" when they actually really isn't, they were just born into jewish or christian families.

That's actually true in a lot of cases, just like it's also true that people who identify as atheists haven't really vanquised god nor christianity from their minds, but rather just found different labels for their idols, in most cases "scientific" labels, this goes along with the fact that modern atheists often mistake science with religion.

Xerge said:

That's actually true in a lot of cases, just like it's also true that people who identify as atheists haven't really vanquised god nor christianity from their minds, but rather just found different labels for their idols, in most cases "scientific" labels, this goes along with the fact that modern atheists often mistake science with religion.

It is more that some religious people, particularly christians, are apparently unable to view their "opposition" in any other way. I know of no atheists that view atheism as religion, or behave in a way that would make them look like members of some religious order. And yet I see this "atheism is just another religion" fallacy everywhere, starting with OP and his poll.

Xerge said:

I`m sorry, what? Found different labels for my idols? Yes, I believe (kinda ironic word right there) in science because its based on evidence. If evidence of a god or whatever shows up, then I will change my mind. Simple isn't it? I dont even get what you mean by "the fact that modern atheists often mistake science with religion"...?
Also see Neutrinos post.

Neutrino said:

I know of no atheists that view atheism as religion, or behave in a way that would make them look like members of some religious order. And yet I see this "atheism is just another religion" fallacy everywhere, starting with OP and his poll.

If you read what I said again you'll notice that it seems you are mistaking atheism with science.

darkreaver said:

I`m sorry, what? Found different labels for my idols?

No, I'm not talking about you, I'm refering to other modern atheists I've come across.

Xerge said:

If you read what I said again you'll notice that it seems you are mistaking atheism with science.

And that makes your point any different?
You wrote what you wrote.

Neutrino said:

And that makes your point any different?
You wrote what you wrote.

I think I see the problem now, what I actually meant to say is that some people, not all people, who identify as atheists haven't really vanquised god nor christianity from their minds, but rather just found different labels for their idols, in most cases "scientific" labels, and that this goes along with the fact that modern atheists often, not always, mistake science with religion.